Agenda highlights ¢ 6:45 p.m. Tuesday ¢ City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets ¢
Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 ¢ Meeting documents online at www.lawrenceks.org
The bottom line
The Lawrence City Commission will consider adopting a resolution refusing to annex or extend city services any part of the defunct Farmland fertilizer plant unless the environmental issues are dealt with on the remaining portions.
Officials don't want Farmland sticking taxpayers with the bill for cleaning up years of environmental pollution at the 467-acre property east of Lawrence, something commissioners fear could happen if the cooperative sells off relatively uncontaminated areas around the plant for private development of homes, businesses or anything else.
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Feb. 17 and 24.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Sesquicentennial Commission meeting of Jan. 21; Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board meeting of Jan. 27; Aviation Advisory Board meeting of Jan. 21.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment license for AllStars, 913 N. Second St.
- Approve appointment of Moncef Hadiji to the Board of Electrical Examiners and Appeals.
Bid and purchase items:
- Award bid for mowing Park District No. 1 to Master Lawns in the amount of $15,500 and to the Downtown District in the amount of $5,712, for a total of $21,212. (Special Recreation Fund).
- Approve bid from Software House International for anti-virus software in the amount of $24,433. (funding to come from all departments).
- Approve purchase from Olathe Ford for two 4x4 extended cab pickups off the MACPP cooperative bid in the amount of $32,241 ($16,323 from Stormwater Utility Fund and $15,918 from Utilities/Quality Control).
- Approve purchase of one half-ton 4x4 pickup off the MACPP cooperative bid in the amount of $15,432 (Finance/Utility Billing).
- Approve purchase from Olathe Ford for one compact pickup off the MACPP cooperative bid in the amount of $11,822. (Utilities/Distribution).
¢ Adopt on first reading Ordinance No. 7753, establishing the city of Lawrence governing body quorum at four members. Charter Ordinance No. 25 requires four affirmative votes and annual re-adoption of this ordinary ordinance.
Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
- Ordinance No. 7749, establishing no parking along the south side of 25th Street between Cedarwood Avenue and Ridge Court and to permit parking along the north side.
- Ordinance No. 7604, text amendment to Section 21-104(a), City/County Subdivision Regulation requiring subdivision plats within the city of Lawrence to include all contiguous land under the same ownership.
- Ordinance No. 7745, levying the maximum assessments on lots, pieces and parcels of land in the city to pay a portion of the costs for the construction of Folks Road from Sixth Street south approximately 1,500 feet to Mulberry Drive, Old Oak Court, and a part of Larissa Drive from Folks Road approximately 200 feet west; including property acquisition, traffic calming devices, bicycle facilities, subgrade stabilization, stormwater improvements and other necessary and appropriate improvements, as authorized by Resolution 6512.
- Ordinance No. 7738, concerning requirements for helmet use for children ages 15 and under.
Approve the following site plans, subject to conditions:
- Site plan for installation of perimeter fencing and use of the property at 900 E. 15th St. for evidence storage for the Lawrence Police Department. Submitted by the city of Lawrence, property owner of record. This item may be withdrawn from the agenda prior to Tuesday's meeting.
- Site plan for driveway access improvements from Haskell Avenue for the East Heights School-USD 497 Early Childhood Classrooms, at 15th Street and Haskell Avenue. Submitted by Landplan Engineering for USD 497; property owner of record.
- Approve recommendation from the Public Transit Advisory Committee to allow aquatic pass purchasers to purchase a T sticker for $20 that would allow people to ride the T to the pool from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Authorize the city manager to enter into an engineering services contract in the amount of $35,000 with Black and Veatch to complete the Emergency Response plan revisions and update in accordance with the EPA regulations.
- Authorize city manager to sign Limited License and Hold Harmless Agreement with Masonic Building Co. This agreement acknowledges the continuing use of the basement area of Masonic Lodge, 1001 Mass., which is in public right-of-way underneath the city sidewalk.
- City manager's report
- Consider adoption of Resolution No. 6528 to not annex the former Farmland property prior to appropriate response to environmental concerns.
- Consider adopting findings of fact, approving rezoning and annexation requests, and authorize drafting of ordinances for placement on future agenda:
a) Annexation request for approximately 29.7261 acres of land, north of Clinton Parkway and east 926 feet from Kansas Highway 10. Submitted by Peridian Group Inc. for Yankee Tank Investors, Yankee Tank Investors L.C. and Alvamar Inc., property owners of record.
b) A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 18.9332 acres from limited business district to multiple-family residential district. The property is generally described as being north of Clinton Parkway and approximately 508 feet east of Kansas Highway 10 right-of-way. A valid protest petition has been received. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for Yankee Tank Investors, Yankee Tank Investors L.C. and Alvamar Inc., property owners of record.
c) A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 20.1626 acres from limited business district to multiple-family residential district. The property is generally described as being north of Clinton Parkway and approximately 508 feet east of Kansas Highway 10 right-of-way. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for Yankee Tank Investors, Yankee Tank Investors L.C. and Alvamar Inc., property owners of record.
- Consider an amendment revising Chapter Six: Commercial Land Use Chapter of the Horizon 2020 planning guide.