The Lawrence City Commission will be asked to approve traffic-calming devices for several Lawrence neighborhoods.
The devices are meant to discourage speeding through residential neighborhoods and, perhaps, push drivers back to main thoroughfares instead of detours through side streets.
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from June 15.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Traffic Safety Commission meeting of June 7; Board of Electrical Examiners and Appeals meeting of May 5; Library Board meeting of May 16.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Jefferson's, 743 Mass.; Red Lyon Tavern, 944 Mass.; and Carlos O'Kelly's Mexican Cafe, 707 W. 23rd St.
- Approve appointments of Kate Kelly, Brad Kemp and Constance Wolfe to the Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board; Truman Waugh to the Douglas County Emergency Management Board; Joe Helfert to the Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority; Ed Brunt to the Mental Health Board; and Cindy Strecker and Kevin Dobbs to the Recycling and Resource Conservation Advisory Board.
- Set bid date of July 6 for 2004 Overlay and Concrete Repair Program, Phase 3. This contract includes: Arkansas, 24th to 25th streets; Belle Crest Drive, 25th Street to Belle Haven Drive, including Shelburn Place; Melrose Lane, 24th Terrace to 25th Street; 21st Terrace, Naismith Drive to Ousdahl Road to cul-de-sac; 24th Street, Alabama west to end of street; 24th Terrace, Melrose Lane to cul-de-sac; and 28th Terrace, Belle Haven Drive to Alabama.
Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
- Ordinance No. 7794, rezoning 11.5587 acres from limited business district to planned commercial development district, property located north of Clinton Parkway and east of Kansas 10 Highway (South Lawrence Trafficway). Initiated by the Planning Commission at its January meeting. Yankee Tank Investors, Yankee Tank Investors L.C. and Alvamar Inc. are the property owners of record.
- Ordinance No. 7790, establishing no parking along the east side of Kentucky Street from 15th Street south 85 feet.
- Ordinance No. 7798, changing the street name of 16th Street (located between Wakarusa Drive and Research Park Drive) to Research Park Way.
Approve the following site plans, subject to conditions:
- A site plan for a demolition and reconstruction of the east wing to an existing church located at 1629 W. 19th St. Submitted by HMN Architects Inc. for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, property owner of record.
- A site plan for outdoor seating at Jefferson's Restaurant, located at 743 Mass. Submitted by J. Stephen Lane for Mark Wolfson, property owner of record.
- A site plan for outdoor seating at Thai House, located at 724 Mass. Submitted by Sam Parakhen for Steve Wilson, property owner of record.
¢ Authorize renewal building/property insurance and Fire & Medical auto/professional liability insurance coverage with both St. Paul-Travelers and VFIS for the insurance period of July 1, 2004 to July 1, 2005.
- Authorize the mayor to sign agreement with Kansas Department of Transportation for $250,986 for bus shelters, cutouts and operating expenses for state fiscal year 2005.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Yana Reid, 630 Locust St.
- City manager's report.
- Consider adopting joint resolution with Douglas County, establishing the ECO2 Commission.
- Consider adopting on second and final reading Ordinance 7791, establishing no parking along the east side of Wisconsin Street between Fifth and Sixth streets.
- Consider the following Traffic Safety Commission items concerning traffic-calming issues. Commission consideration and direction on funding sources (street maintenance funds or bonding) are needed.
a) Consider approving unanimous recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission for the construction of speed humps on Winona Avenue between Barker Avenue and Massachusetts Street
b) Consider request from area residents to construct traffic-calming devices along Goldfield Street between Eldridge Street and Prescott Drive. Recommend construction of traffic-calming circle at intersection of Goldfield Street and Prescott Drive and recommend construction of mid-block speed hump on Goldfield Street between Eldridge Street and Prescott Drive.
c) Receive report regarding the University Place Neighborhood Traffic Calming Plan.