Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, July 25, 2004

NATO pledges troops to Afghanistan

July 25, 2004

Advertisement

— After months of delay, NATO has ordered hundreds more peacekeepers to Afghanistan to help provide security during presidential elections, but the deployment still appeared to fall short of 3,500 troops that were promised.

NATO ambassadors meeting late Friday approved two more battalions for Afghanistan, one each from Italy and Spain. A battalion has between 600 and 1,000 soldiers.

The alliance also cleared another 500 or so troops to beef up provincial reconstruction teams. Assuming the battalions were large, that would still make only about 2,500 troops.

"We need a little bit more to get to 3,500," said Lt. Col. Ludger Terbrueggen, spokesman at NATO's military headquarters in southern Belgium.

Cdr. Chris Henderson, a spokesman for the NATO-led peacekeeping force in the Afghan capital of Kabul, said a third battalion would be on standby as part of a reserve contingent outside the country. He said the alliance had yet to decide which countries would supply the reserve force but insisted "NATO has not failed in meeting its commitment."

U.S. Ambassador Nicholas Burns called the reinforcements "a significant step in the efforts of the international community to help the Afghan people."

NATO took command of the international peacekeeping force in Afghanistan last summer. It currently has some 6,500 troops there, about half from Germany and Canada.

In October the alliance agreed to expand the force. But apart from Germany, which sent 240 soldiers to the northern Afghan city of Kunduz, NATO had been unable to persuade governments to provide needed troops.

The delay has cast doubt on the alliance's credibility as it seeks to reinvent itself as a global security force in the post-Cold War era.

Afghan women look out through the window of Mohammadia's mosque as
they wait to get their voter identity cards in the registration
office in Kabul, Afghanistan. After months of delay, NATO late
Friday approved sending two extra battalions to Afghanistan to help
provide security during presidential elections scheduled for
October.

Afghan women look out through the window of Mohammadia's mosque as they wait to get their voter identity cards in the registration office in Kabul, Afghanistan. After months of delay, NATO late Friday approved sending two extra battalions to Afghanistan to help provide security during presidential elections scheduled for October.

The troops from Italy and Spain will arrive in Afghanistan by September and remain for about two months, NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said in a statement. The election is planned for Oct. 9.

De Hoop Scheffer would likely work the phones over the next few days to raise more troops, Terbrueggen said.

The NATO troops serve apart from the 20,000-strong U.S.-led coalition force, which focuses on tracking down remnants of al-Qaida and the deposed Taliban government, mostly in the border area with Pakistan.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai pleaded with NATO leaders at their June summit to send more soldiers as quickly as possible.

Violence in Afghanistan this year has killed more than 600 people, including soldiers, international workers and civilians.

The allies committed themselves to increase troop levels to 10,000, but still struggled to come up with the soldiers.

France and other NATO members objected to an American proposal that NATO's elite new response force be deployed, arguing it should be saved for emergencies, not peacekeeping.

The NATO statement said the Italian battalion was "an element" of the rapid response force and would act as a reserve for the Spanish, who will provide a "quick reaction force."

They will probably be based in the capital, Kabul, but able to dash around the country to help out.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.