Lawrence artists Anthony Pontius and Jenn Dierdorf wanted to show their artwork in the same gallery. But the more they thought about it, the less sense a joint show made. So they decided instead of making separate pieces, they should collaborate. They'll unveil the results of their tandem artistic exercise tonight at Olive Gallery and Art Supply, 15 E. Eighth St.
Other weekend entertainment options include:
- Powell Gardens Annual Butterfly Count, 9 a.m.-noon today, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- Brandeis Used Book Sack Sale, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. today, Lower Level, Metcalf South Mall, 95th and Metcalf, Overland Park, (913) 362-3092.
- "All That Jazz," children ages 9-12, 10:30 a.m.-noon today, Watkins Community Museum of History, 1047 Mass., 841-4109.
- Brain Blast, "Brain: The World Inside Your Head," noon-4 p.m. today, Science City, Union Station, 30 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 460-2020.
- Book signing: Eric Brende, author of "Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology," 2 p.m. today, Borders, 700 N.H., 331-3226.
- Mid-America Train & Toy Show, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday, BTC Exhibit Hall (formerly KC Market Center), I-435 and Front Street, Kansas City, Mo., (913) 651-5864.
- Annual White Elephant Sale of special discounted art donated by Topeka Art Guild members, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. today, Topeka Art Guild Gallery, Fairlawn Shopping Center, Topeka, (785) 273-7646.
- "Vacillations of the Art," opening reception of exhibition by Anthony Pontius and Jenn Dierdorf, with music by Drakkar Sauna and Kids' Corner artwork by Willie Jordan, 6 p.m.-10 p.m. today, Olive Gallery and Art Supply, 15 E. Eighth St., 331-4114.
- Walk-in Tour: "Black and White in America," 2 p.m. Sunday, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 751-1ART.
- "Suessical," 2 p.m. today and Sunday, The Coterie Theatre, Level One, Crown Center, 2450 Grand, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-6552.
- "Meshuggah-Nuns," 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. today, and 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday, American Heartland Theatre, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 842-9999.
- "Young Sherlock Holmes," 2 p.m. today, Theatre for Young America, 5909 Johnson Drive, Mission, (913) 831-2131.
- "Ragtime," 6 p.m. dinner today, 8 p.m. show today, Topeka Civic Theater & Academy, 3028 S.W. Eighth Ave., (785) 357-5211.
- E.M.U. Theatre 10-Minute Play Festival: "Face Down in a Pool of Your Own Monkeys," 8 p.m. today, Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H., 843-2787.
- "Murder at Fort Leavenworth or The General is Generally Dead," 7 p.m. Sunday, Hereford House, 4931 W. Sixth St., 842-2333.
- Billy Ebeling and The Late For Dinner Band Open Jam, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. today, Knuckleheads, 2715 Rochester, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 483-1456.
- Drakkar Sauna, 6 p.m. today, Olive Gallery and Art Supply, 15 E. Eighth St., 331-3114.
- Little Feat, 7 p.m. today, The Beaumont, 4050 Pennsylvania St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 561-2560.
- Raise the Remains, A Day After, Evermourn, Trip Hazzard, 7 p.m. today, El Torreon, 3101 Gillham Road, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 561-8349.
- Billy Ebeling and The Late For Dinner Band, 8 p.m. today, Shooters, 4108 Oak, North Kansas City, Mo., (816) 454-7650.
- Ninth annual Jerry Garcia Memorial Stomp, 8:30 p.m. today, Davey's Uptown, 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-1909.
- Moniker, 9 p.m. today, The Granada, 1020 Mass., 842-1390.
- Phunk Junkeez, Primetime Heroes, Judge D, Saint Dog, Mower, Pimpadelic, 9 p.m. today, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band, 9 p.m. today, Grand Emporium, 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-1504.
- The Golden Republic (formerly The People), Elevator Division, Namelessnumberheadman, The Toy Band, 10 p.m. today, The Brick, 1727 McGee St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 421-1634.
- The Waxwings, 10 p.m. today, Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.
- Blue River Ordonnance, 4 p.m. Sunday, The Hurricane, 4048 Broadway St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-0884.
- Trust Company, Lo-Pro, 7 p.m. Sunday, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Dirty Boogie, 10 p.m. Sunday, Gaslight Tavern and Coffeehouse, 317 N. Second St., 856-4330.
- The Terrordactyls, 10 p.m. Sunday, Jackpot Saloon, 943 Mass., 832-1085.