The Lawrence City Commission will consider an amendment to Horizon 2020 to expand the Urban Growth Area.
As defined in Horizon 2020, the city-county comprehensive land-use guide, the Urban Growth Area is meant to predict and contain the city's sprawl. Properties within the Urban Growth Area carry more restrictions for developers, such as a 3-acre lot minimum. Outside the Urban Growth Area, property still can be divided into 5-acre pieces to build single homes unless pieces smaller than 5 acres have been carved off since 1972.
- Recognition of Lawrence's 149th birthday by Lawrence Sesquicentennial Commission.
- Proclaim the week of Sept. 17-23 as "Constitution Week."
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Human Relations Commission meeting of May 12.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses: Harbour Lights, 1031 Mass.; Tellers, 746 Mass.; Hereford House, 4931 W. Sixth St.
- Approve retail liquor licenses: Alvin's Wine & Spirits, 905 Iowa; Alvin's Wine & Spirits, 4000 W. Sixth St.
Bid and purchase items:
- Approve contract with Ace Pipe Cleaning for $56,716 for the 2003 large sanitary sewer line cleaning/inspection program.
- Approve purchase of in-car mobile data systems (10 district cars) from Motorola Direct in the amount of $82,541.
- Authorize the city manager to enter into an engineering contract for $89,050 with BG Consultants and $41,785 with EBH Consultants for 2003/2004 waterline improvement project design.
- Set bid opening date of Oct. 7 for the following comprehensive rehabilitation loan projects: 347 Elm St.; 1810 Haskell Ave.; 2001 Mass.
Adopt on first reading the following ordinances:
- Ordinance No. 7697, ordering the condemnation of real property interests for O'Connell Road improvement project (south of East 23rd Street).
- Ordinance No. 7696 naming Douglas County East 1600 Road north of the Kansas River as North 11th Street within the corporate limits of the city.
- Adopt on second and final reading the Ordinance No 7695, rezoning 1.44 acres from agricultural district to single-family residential district property located at the east side of Mulberry Drive (extended, north of Harvard).
- Adopt Resolution No. 6489 authorizing the condemnation of property interests for stormwater improvements (Stroda tract) near 13th & Oregon.
- Approve, pursuant to Sign Code requirements, as signs of community interest: 1) the annual United Way campaign banners at selected locations within the city; and 2) the Lawrence Home Builders Assn. request for directional signage for fall parade of homes.
Adopt findings of fact; approve rezoning and annexation requests; authorize drafting of ordinances for placement on future agenda:
- Annexation of approximately 6.76 acres of land at the extensions of Foxfire Drive and Burning Tree Drive south and west of the existing Foxfire development. Submitted by Landplan Engineering P.A. for North Tank LC, property owners of record.
- A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 6.76 acres from agricultural district to single-family residence district. The property is generally described as being south and west of the existing Foxfire development. Submitted by Landplan Engineering P.A. for North Tank LC, property owners of record.
- A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 101.23 acres from agricultural district to single-family residence district. The property is generally described as being located south of Harvard Road (extended) and east of George Williams Way. Submitted by Landplan Engineering P.A. for Marla LC, contract purchaser, and Alvamar Inc. and Ching-ih Wang, et al, property owners of record.
- A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 3.8 acres from RS-1 single-family residential district to RS-2 single-family residential district. The property is generally described as being at 1800 W. 27th St. Submitted by Professional Engineering Consultants P.A. for Knollwood Investors LLC, applicants. Ascend Healthcare Inc. is the property owner of record.
- City manager's report
- Receive bids on city bond and note sale. Approve lowest responsible bids. Approve declaration of emergency allowing for the adoption of an ordinance on first and second reading. Approve adoption of necessary resolutions and ordinance authorizing the bond and note sale.
- Receive staff report concerning median in the 4100 block of West Sixth Street, in response to concerns of Doug Garber, property owner at 4101 W. Sixth St.
- Consider request from The Chocolate Factory for the placement of sign on the Riverfront Plaza tower. City approval is required because the tower is on city property.
- Consider the following amendment to the city's comprehensive plan, Horizon 2020: An amendment to Horizon 2020 to expand the Urban Growth Area as shown on the Transportation 2025 Land Use Map with the addition of the southern boundary extending to North 900 Road and with an expansion northeast of Lawrence to North 2000 Road, east to East 1700 Road and south across the railroad tracks.
- Consider for denial request to rezone a tract of land approximately 38.42 acres from single-family residential district to multifamily residential district. The property is generally described as being north of Peterson Road and east of Monterey Way (extended). Submitted by Landplan Engineering P.A. for North Stephens LC, property owner of record.
- Receive staff report on city of Lawrence employee health care renewal.