A Lawrence man convicted in a series of sex crimes committed in the late 1970s will be eligible for parole next month.
Charles Hunter, 41, is serving a 29- to 110-year sentence in Larned State Security Hospital for four counts of rape, two counts of attempted rape and seven counts of aggravated burglary. Hunter and other inmates up for parole will meet next month with the Kansas Parole Board.
The incidents occurred during a 17-day period in December 1978. Hunter said during his trial that he committed crimes because he heard voices in his head. He was sentenced to prison in 1982 after undergoing three years in a mental institution before his trial.
The parole board is asking for public comments about a possible parole for Hunter and other inmates who will be eligible.
The other inmates from the Lawrence area, the crimes they were convicted of, the county where the conviction occurred and the prison where they are serving their time, are:
- Archie L. Henderson, Wichita Work Release facility, Douglas County, aggravated battery and attempted theft; Sedgwick County, aggravated robbery.
- Cyrus Free, Hutchinson Correctional Facility, Douglas County, attempted aggravated battery and indecent liberties with a child.
- Jeffrey S. Hughes, Lansing Correctional Facility, Franklin County, aggravated assault; Miami County, aggravated escape from custody and voluntary manslaughter; Butler County, trafficking in contraband in a penal institution.
Anyone who would like to make comments to the parole board may attend public hearings at the following dates and locations:
- 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday, Topeka, Landon State Office Building, first floor, room 106A, 900 S.W. Jackson St.
- 10 a.m. to noon Monday, Kansas City, Kan., City Hall, One McDowell Plaza, 701 N. Seventh St.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 30, Wichita, Finney State Office Building, third floor, Room 3080, 230 William St.
Anyone who cannot attend a hearing may send written comments to the parole board at the Landon State Office Building, 900 S.W. Jackson, room 452 S, Topeka 66612-1220.