The Lawrence City Commission will consider the proposed capital improvement plan for 2004-2009.
The capital improvement plan is a planning document that helps to guide city investments in constructing public facilities or utilities that are in conformance with Horizon 2020, the city-county comprehensive plan projects listed on the CIP, may not be built during the projected time frame identified in the document. The City Commission determines which projects will be funded when it reviews and updates the capital improvement budget during the annual budgeting process.
- Recognition of Hiratsuka student delegation.
- Proclaim the week of May 10 as National Tourism Week.
- Proclaim the week of May 17 as National Safe Boating Week.
- Proclaim the week of May 18 as National Public Works Week.
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from May 6.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Board of Zoning Appeals meeting of April; Board of Zoning Appeals meeting of May 1; Planning Commission meeting of April 23; Historic Resources Commission meeting of April 17.
- Approve all claims.
Bid and purchase items:
- Approve change order for T-hangar project at Lawrence Municipal Airport for $16,672 to Hamm Inc.
- Award bid for one rear-load refuse truck for the Parks and Recreation Department to the low bidder, Roy Conley & Co. Inc., for $48,562.
- Set bid date of May 2 for milling, overlay and pavement marking improvements for North Third Street, Industrial Lane to north city limits and 23rd Street, Learnard Avenue to Harper Street.
- Set bid date of June 3, 2003 the Chip Seal Program.
Adopt on first reading the following ordinances:
- Ordinance No. 7646, establishing the Lawrence Sesquicentennial Commission. The Sesquicentennial Commission was established by City Commission motion in 1999. An ordinance is recommended to ensure that commission members can have Tort Claims Act protections.
- Ordinance No. 7647, establishing no parking along the west side of Ousdahl Road from 25th Street south to the property line between 1603 W. 25th St. and 2515-17 Ousdahl Road.
- Ordinance No. 7648, establishing a disabled parking zone on the south side of Greever Terrace adjacent to Centennial School and in front of 2535 Belle Haven Drive.
- Ordinance No. 7649, establishing a 50-foot bus parking zone on the east side of New Jersey Street north of 14th Street.
- Adopt on second and final reading Ordinance No. 7638, rezoning 35.56 acres from RS-2 to planned residential district, property located on the northwest corner of Peterson Road and Kasold Drive.
- Adopt Resolution No. 6469, adopting city policy on speed humps and speed cushions.
- Approve CPA-2003-1: An amendment to Horizon 2020, the city and county comprehensive land use plan, Chapter 8 Transportation, Figures 14 and 15, to adopt the revised Major Thoroughfares Maps for Lawrence Urban Growth Area and Douglas County, so they are consistent with the adopted Comprehensive Transportation Plan (T2025).
- Receive annexation request for approximately 18.53 acres, Tract A, Bauer Brook Estates No. 5, generally located between Wakarusa Drive and Folks Road, north of Free State High School, refer to Planning Commission for recommendation.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for David and Rita Roberts, 2018 Miller Drive.
- City manager's report
- Receive presentations from representatives of the following city boards and commissions: Douglas County Emergency Management Board; Fire Code Board of Appeals; Special Alcohol Fund Advisory Board.
- Conduct public hearing concerning the vacation of the east 10 feet of Florida Street right of way from Sixth Street south 100 feet, adjacent to Lot 1, Benefiel Number One Subdivision.
- Consider proposed capital improvement plan for 2004-2009.
- Consider adopting on first reading, Ordinance No. 7639, rezoning to planned residential district, property located on the northeast corner of 19th and Delaware streets.
- Receive staff report concerning Transportation Impact Studies. This item responds to Commissioner David Schauner's inquiry regarding this issue.