In celebration of National Music Week, the Lawrence Music Club is recognizing a week of musical activities today through May 11 in Lawrence.
The week's theme is "Music: A Gift for a Lifetime."
The Lawrence Music Club was organized in 1892 and joined the National Federation of Music Clubs in 1910. One of six music clubs in the state still in existence, the Lawrence club has 62 performing and associate members. The club maintains a choral ensemble.
Each year, Lawrence Music Club awards four scholarships to students who are music majors at Kansas University.
Here's a look at the events the club is highlighting this week:
- 2:30 p.m., "Tales of the Monkey King," Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H.
- 2:30 p.m., "The Magic Flute," Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall, KU.
- 2:30 p.m., "Faure Requiem," Kaw Valley Community Chorus, Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 6001 W. 15th St.
- 7 p.m., Lawrence Suzuki String Studio Ensemble Recital, Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt.
- 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Art in the Park, South Park.
- 7 p.m., "History of American Music," by the piano students of Sylvia Frank, Pioneer Ridge Retirement Community, 4851 Harvard Road.
- 7:30 p.m., Free State High School Choral Concert, Free State High School auditorium, 4700 Overland Drive.
- 7 p.m., Southwest Junior High Orchestra Concert, Southwest Junior High School auditorium, 2511 Inverness Drive.
- 7:30 p.m., South Junior High Feeder Band Concert, South Junior High, 2734 La.
- 7 p.m., First Step House Concert, Prairie Wind Dancers, Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H.
- 7:30 p.m., KU Wind Ensemble with the KU Choirs, Lied Center, KU.
- 1:15 p.m., Lawrence Music Club, monthly meeting, 1515 W. 21st St.
- 7 p.m., Central Junior High Feeder Band Concert, Central Junior High School, 1400 Mass.
- 7 p.m., Veritas Christian School program, Mustard Seed Christian Fellowship, 700 Wakarusa Drive.
- 7 p.m.-9 p.m., benefit for the Lawrence Schools Foundation, with Get Up Kids, Approach and DJNotADJ, Liberty Hall, 642 Mass.
- 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Americana Music Academy Community Jam, Signs of Life bookstore, 722 Mass.
- 5 p.m., powwow grand entry, Haskell.
- 9 p.m., Apache Crown Dancers, Haskell.
- 6:30 p.m. and 8:15 p.m., West Junior High Chorale Spring Show, West Junior High School auditorium, 2700 Harvard Road.
- 9 p.m., singer-songwriter performance night, Americana Music Academy, 1419 Mass.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m., student fashion show, Stidham Union, Haskell.
- 1 p.m., powwow continued with grand entry, Haskell.
- 6 p.m., final grand entry for powwow, Haskell.
- 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m., Evelyn Falen piano studio recital, 2614 Orchard Lane.
- 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m., Community Acoustic Jam, Americana Music Academy, 1419 Mass.
- 3 p.m., Lawrence Suzuki String Studio Solo Recital, Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt.