The Lawrence City Commission will consider a request to place a statue of Langston Hughes in downtown's Watson Park.
The commission will refer the proposal to the Lawrence Arts Commission and the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board for consideration.
- Proclaim Monday for the day of the city's 16th Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade.
- Approve minutes of March 4 City Commission meeting.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Mechanical Board of Appeals minutes from Nov. 25; Traffic Safety Commission meeting from March 3.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Club 508, 508 Locust St.; Skeeter's Bar & Grill, 3300 W. 15th St., Suite B; Ixtapa of Lawrence, 2016 W. 23rd St.
Bid and purchase items:
- Award bid to Microtech Computers for 62 computers in 11 departments in the amount of $88,787.
- Approve contract with Black and Veatch for consulting services to complete a vulnerability assessment for the water facilities.
- Approve change order with CAS construction for work related to the Kaw Lime Residuals project.
- Approve bid from Laird Noller in the amount of $22,345 for one 3/4-ton pickup truck for utilities division.
- Authorize the city manager to sign a contract amendment with Airport Development Group in the amount of $48,046.35 for Phase I of the Airport Improvement Project for additional observation days associated with construction of the project ($37,046.35) and contractor delay ($11,000). The $11,000 has been deducted from the contractor's payment as liquidated damages. The $37,046.35 will be financed 90 percent/10 percent by the FAA/city.
- Set bid date of April 1 for Belle Haven relief sanitary sewer and storm sewer project.
- Adopt on first reading an ordinance annexing approximately two acres generally located at 1303 E. 1600 Road (O'Connell Road). The city has received a request for annexation from the property owners pending land use approvals.
Adopt on second and final reading the following ordinance(s):
- Annexing approximately one acre generally at the northeast corner of North Iowa Street and Riverridge Road. Petition requesting annexation has been received from Alvin and Dorothy Daniels.
- Establishing the quorum of the City Commission at four members pursuant to Charter Ordinance No. 25.
- Establishing revised special assessments for 27th Street and Crossgate Drive box culvert.
- Establishing revised special assessments for Crossgate Drive, 24th Street to 27th Street box culvert.
- Approve site plan for remodel of a building at 1246 Haskell Ave. to an office building. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Greg Polk, property owner of record.
Approve the following recommendations from the Traffic Safety Commission and authorize ordinances to be drafted:
- Approve unanimous recommendation to install yield signs on Kansas Street at Utah Street.
- Approve unanimous recommendation to install multiway stop signs at the intersection of Inverness Drive/Legends Drive and Wakarusa Drive.
- Approve unanimous recommendation to install multiway stop signs at the intersection of Kasold Drive and Peterson Road.
- City manager's report.
- Receive request from Ken Wheatley concerning proposed sculpture in Watson Park.
- Receive recommendation from Mechanical Code Board of Appeals concerning adoption of revised mechanical code ordinance.
- Receive draft general fund balance policy.