The Lawrence City Commission will consider a request from Home Depot concerning public infrastructure improvements and temporary occupancy permit.
City rules would normally require Home Depot to wait until the renovation of 31st and Iowa to be complete before the store opens. But the store will be ready to open April 10, more than a month before the road is finished. The store's Lawrence attorney noted the road improvements had faced delays, but said Home Depot could start paying sales taxes immediately if the store opened early.
- Consider motion to recess into executive session for the purpose of discussion of personnel matters of nonelected personnel and to consult with the city attorney on matters deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship.
- Recognition of Russian delegation of pharmacy professionals.
- Proclaim the week of March 10-16 as "Cover the Uninsured Week."
- Proclaim the month of March as "March for Meals Month."
- Proclaim the month of March as "Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Month."
- Approve minutes of the Feb. 25 City Commission meeting.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board meeting of Jan. 28; Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority meeting of Dec. 17; Recycling and Resource Conservation Advisory Board meeting of Jan. 8; Neighborhood Resources Advisory Committee meeting of Feb. 13; Aviation Advisory Board meeting of Jan. 16.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Last Call, 729 N.H.; El Mezcal Restaurant II, 804 Iowa; Bubba's, 2228 Iowa; Wheatfields Bakery and Cafe, 904 Vt.
- Approve retail liquor licenses for Hird Retail Liquor, 601 Kasold Dr., No. B101 Harper Corner Liquor Store, 2220 Harper St., Suite: C
Bid and purchase items:
- Approve bid from Murphy Tractor to lease two backhoes, with option to purchase, in the amount of $28,715 each, totaling $57,431 (Street and Stormwater Division of Public Works).
- Award the compost site paving contract to LRM Industries, Inc. in the amount of $130,200.
- Authorize the city manager to enter into a contract with Delich Roth and Goodwille Engineers (DRG) for engineering services for the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad Sanitary Sewer improvement project (Utilities Department) in an amount not to exceed $25,750.
- Authorize the city manager to approve a change order to the existing contract with Danis Construction in the amount of $30,278 for additional work for the wastewater treatment plant expansion project.
Adopt on first reading the following ordinances:
- Annexing approximately one acre generally located at the northeast corner of North Iowa Street and Riverridge Road. Petition requesting annexation has been received from Alvin and Dorothy Daniels.
- Establishing the quorum of the City Commission at four members pursuant to Charter Ordinance No. 25.
- Establishing revised special assessments for 27th Street and Crossgate Drive box culvert.
- Establishing revised special assessments for Crossgate Drive, 24th Street to 27th Street box culvert.
- Establishing March 25 as public hearing date on proposed special assessment benefit district for the acquisition of the Orchards golf course.
- Receive request for art donation to be placed in Watson Park. Refer request to Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and Lawrence Arts Commission.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for John and Essie Rice, 1124 R. I.
- City manager's report.
- Receive presentations from representatives of the following city boards and commissions: Board of Electrical Examiners; Douglas County Emergency Management Board; Mental Health Board; Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.
- Conduct public hearing on application for drinking establishment license for Quinton's Bar and Deli to be located at 1700 W. 23rd St. This new licensed facility is within 400 feet of Schwegler Elementary School. The hearing is to consider a request for a waiver from the distance requirements of the city code.
- Conduct public hearing on proposed special assessment benefit district for the improvement of Crossgate Drive, including slope repair and construction of retaining wall.
- Receive presentation by HNTB Corp. of the engineering study for the intersection of 31st and Nieder Road.
- Discuss staff report concerning a traffic-calming device at Century Drive and Crestline Drive.
- Consider request from Home Depot concerning public infrastructure improvements and temporary occupancy permit.