The Lawrence City Commission will consider possible adoption of a charter ordinance allowing retail liquor sales on Sundays.
Kansas law prohibits alcohol sales on Sundays and some holidays. Wyandotte County, however, began the trend to allow Sunday sales last fall, arguing that it could opt out of the law because the state's Liquor Control Act does not apply uniformly to all cities. When the action survived its initial court challenge this year, a host of other northeast Kansas communities followed suit
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes of June 24.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Lawrence Arts Commission meetings of April 2, April 9 and May 14; Board of Plumbers and Pipe Fitters meeting of May 21.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa; Panda Garden, 1500 W. Sixth St.; The Sandbar, 17 E. Eighth St.
Bid and purchase items:
- Award geometric improvements for Sixth Street and Comet Lane to LRM Industries in an amount of $247,880.
- Approve purchase of computer equipment, in the amount of $11,650.12 (Law Enforcement Trust Fund), for the Lawrence Police Department.
Adopt on first reading the following ordinances:
- Ordinance No. 7659, rezoning .31 acres from general industrial to general commercial district for property located at 311-317 N. Second St.
- Ordinance No. 7660, rezoning 4.45 acres from agricultural to office district for property located west of the southwest corner of West Sixth Street and East 1100 Road.
- Ordinance No. 7662, allowing the sale, possession, and consumption of alcoholic liquor on Aug. 23 from 4 p.m. to 11:15 p.m. for a concert in the park at Burcham Park.
- Approve Lawrence Arts Center financial obligation commitment pursuant to Arts Center letter of May 30.
- Receive and approve recommendation from Plumbing Board to adopt the 2000 Uniform Plumbing Code; authorize ordinance to be drafted and placed on future agenda.
- Authorize the expenditure of $33,000 in CDBG Property Acquisition funds to Tenants to Homeowners Inc., for the acquisition of 1108 Conn.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for David Wheaton, 1005 E. Home Circle.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Donald and Tina White, 1328 E. 16th St.
- City manager's report
- Receive letter from Rick Stein, 1030 Avalon Road, requesting rezoning of Lot 2, Sigma Nu Place. Consider approving site plan for the Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority; located on Lot 2, Sigma Nu Place. Submitted by Bartlett & West Engineers for Epsilon Beta House Corp. of Alpha Gamma Delta of Lawrence.
- Receive public comment and commission discussion concerning possible adoption of a charter ordinance allowing retail liquor sales on Sundays.
- Receive letter from Lawrence Homebuilders Assn. concerning renaming 15th Street west of Iowa as Bob Billings Parkway.
- Receive Clinton Lake area master plan. Consider authorizing execution of lease of additional property from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Receive staff report concerning possible traffic signal improvements at 31st Street and Louisiana Street and 31st Street and Haskell Avenue.
- Conduct public hearing on proposed vacation of right-of-way at 1817 Castle Pine Court adjacent to Lot 25, Block 3, Foxfire Addition No 4.
- Conduct public hearing on proposed maximum special assessments for the improvement of Research Park Drive.
- Consider approval of city/county Cooperative Agreement and Resolution No. 6477 authorizing general obligation bond authority for the city share of the improvement to O'Connell Road.
- Consider motion to recess into executive session to discuss matters relating to employer-employee negotiations for 20 minutes.