The Lawrence City Commission will consider approving revisions to Horizon 2020, the city-county comprehensive plan, that govern policy on commercial developments.
The revisions show where future commercial developments should be placed in the city, and call for creation of design guidelines to govern the aesthetics of new stores.
- Proclaim Saturday, June 28, to be "Disabled American Veterans Forget-Me-Not Day."
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes of June 10 and June 17
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Action Summary from Historic Resources Commission meeting of May 29; Mechanical Board of Appeals meeting of May 23; Aviation Advisory Board meeting of May 8; Public Library Board meeting of May 19; Sister Cities Advisory Board meeting of May 14; Public Health Board meeting of April 21.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Red Lyon Tavern, 944 Mass.; Kokoro Japanese Sushi and Steakhouse, 601 Kasold Dr.
Bid and purchase items:
- Approve additional engineering services agreement with Bartlett and West Engineers in the amount of $51,820 for 21st Street and Barker Avenue storm sewer improvements.
- Approve extension of sanitary sewer root control program contract for an additional year with Dukes Root Control in the amount of $50,027.
- Approve office copier lease agreement with Century United Companies for the Police Department, five units at annual cost of $19,772.
- Award Oread Center (16th Street and Research Park Drive) street, storm sewer, and waterline improvements to King's Construction in the amount of $539,156.
Adopt on second and final reading the following ordinances:
- Ordinance No. 7656, establishing no parking in the 700 block of Lake Street.
- Ordinance No. 7657, establishing a 35 mph speed limit on 27th Street between Crossgate Drive and Wakarusa Drive and on Crossgate Drive between Clinton Parkway and 27th Street.
Approve following site plans subject to conditions:
- Service Center for Farm Service Agency/Resource District/Natural Resources and Conservation Service; located at Biltmore Drive and Legends Drive. Submitted by BG Consultants for John D. and Janice K. Vermaas, property owners of record.
- Veritas Addition; located at 256 N. Michigan. Submitted by Peridian Group, Inc. for Veritas Christian School, property owner of record.
- Authorize the Administrative Services Department to: renew the city's building/property coverage with Traveler's Insurance for $135,985 for the period July 1 to July 1, 2004; bind the package coverage offered by Volunteer Fireman's Insurance Service (VFIS) for emergency vehicles, general liability, and management liability for the Fire-Medical Department for $73,397 for the period July 1 to July 1, 2004.
¢ City manager's report
- Receive letter requesting initiation of rezoning of two lots at 1520 Sigma Nu Place from residential dormitory to duplex residential zoning.
- Receive city employee compensation study.
- Consider approval of contract for transit provider services with MV Transportation.
- Consider adopting findings of fact and denying rezoning request for a tract of land, approximately .51 acres, from single-family to residence-office district. The property is located at 501 Rockledge Road. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects, purchaser, for Douglas J. Compton, property owner of record
- Consider a request to rezone two tracts of land containing approximately 1.81 acres from single-family to residence-office district. The properties are located at 505 Rockledge Road and 515 Rockledge Road. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Robert S. Reid and John Rueschoff and Erin Hatton, property owners of record.
- Consider approving amendment of Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPA)-2003-2: An amendment to Chapter 6, the Commercial Land Use Chapter of Horizon 2020, updating the review criteria and establishing new standards for commercial land use (development and redevelopment) in Lawrence and the unincorporated areas of Douglas County. (PC Item No. 14; PC approved 6-3.)
- Consider adoption of City Commission goals.