The Lawrence City Commission will consider approval of a contract with Lawrence Police Officers Assn.
Details of the police contract were unavailable, but the contract worked out last week with the firefighters union links increases in pay to wage adjustments received by other city workers -- who might not receive a pay increase this year.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Traffic Safety Commission June 2 meeting; Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board April 22 meeting; Human Relations Commission Feb. 19 meeting; Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority April 22 meeting.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
Bid and purchase items:
- Award bid for chip-and-seal project to Vance Bros. Inc. in the amount of $54,520.
- Approve joint city and county cooperative purchasing agreement with SBC for long-distance service.
Adopt on first reading the following ordinances:
- Ordinance No. 7654, ordering the condemnation of a tract of property and a utility easement (generally at 835 E. 13th St.) for stormwater improvements.
- Ordinance No. 7655, authorizing the possession of alcoholic beverages July 16 at the Lawrence Municipal Airport for Lawrence Chamber of Commerce event.
- Adopt on second and final reading Ordinance No. 7652, changing the name of Stintson Avenue to Bryant Way.
Accept dedication of easements and right of way on the following plats:
- Final plat for Jayhawk Golf Training Center, a replat of Lot 1, Alvamar Golfcart Addition and an adjacent tract of land. This proposed training center contains approximately 20 acres and is south of 15th Street and east of Crossgate Drive. Submitted by Landplan Engineering, P.A., for Alvamar Golf Course, property owner of record.
- Final plat for Fall Creek Farms Ninth Plat, a replat of Lots 6-9, Block 2, Fall Creek Farms, and Lots 4-6, Block 1, Fall Creek Farms Second Plat. This proposed four-lot single-family residential subdivision contains approximately 6.442 acres and is west of Kasold Avenue and south of Peterson Road. Submitted by Landplan Engineering, P.A., for William E. Fritzel, Fall Creek Development Inc.; Thomas S. and Dru S. Fritzel, property owners of record.
- Final plat for The Woods on 19th Street. This proposed 37-lot single-family residential subdivision contains approximately 11.726 acres and is north of 19th Street and east of Delaware Street. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for Bluejacket Ford, LLC, property owners of record. (PC Item No. 6A; Planning Commission approved 9-0.)
- Approve site plan for sidewalk dining at Signs of Life, 722 Mass. Submitted by Clay Belcher-Signs of Life, for the property owner of record, Charles B. (Pat) Talbott, manager of Jayhawk Equities, LLC.
Approve the following recommendations from the Traffic Safety Commission and authorize ordinances to be drafted:
- Establish no parking in the 700 block of Lake Street.
- Establish a 35 mph speed limit on 27th Street between Crossgate Drive and Wakarusa Drive.
- Establish a 35 mph speed limit on Crossgate Drive between Clinton Parkway and 27th Street.
- Approve Sunflower Broadband sign on riverfront parking garage.
- Approve as sign of community interest a city-sponsored sign for the Summer Brown Bag Concerts at US Bank Tower, 900 Mass.
- Approve transfer of approximately 11 square feet of right of way at 1817 Castle Pine Court contingent upon $1,500 vacation fee and city retaining necessary easements; authorize vacation proceeding.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Robert and Elizabeth Bond, 1713 E. 17th St.
- City manager's report.
- Presentation by board and commissions: Public Health Board; Housing Authority; Human Relations Commission; Community Information Advisory Board; Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging.
- Receive proposal from Lawrence Rotary Clubs for proposed arboretum near the Clinton Lake Softball Complex.
- Consider approval of memorandum of understanding between the Lawrence Police Officers Assn. and the city.
- Consider transit provider recommendation. It is recommended that the current provider, MV Transportation, continue.
- Consider Proposed Capital Improvement Plan for 2004-2009.
- Discuss proposed letter to the U.S. Corps of Engineers concerning the pending record of decision for the eastern portion of the South Lawrence Trafficway. Douglas County has requested that City Commission discussion be deferred until June 17 or 24.
- Receive staff report concerning proposed annexation of property on southeast boundary of city.