The Lawrence City Commission will receive a staff report concerning possible city acquisition of additional right-of-way and easements for 31st Street improvements, just east of Iowa Street.
Thirty-first Street is being improved in conjunction with the construction of Home Depot on the intersection's northeast corner. The city and owners of the intersection's southeast corner have battled about the cost of right-of-way for the improvements. Now commissioners have a proposal to pay $150,000 for the right-of-way; the expense would be split evenly with the Home Depot developers.
Recognize recipients of Mayor's Excellence in Education Award.
- Approve minutes of Jan. 28 and Feb. 4 Lawrence City Commission meetings.
- Approve minutes from Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission meeting of Jan. 22.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for J.B. Stout's, 721 Wakarusa Drive; Marisco's, 4821 W. Sixth St.; Stu's Midtown Tavern, 925 Iowa; Henry's on Henry Street, 11 E. Eighth St.; Paisano's Ristorante, 2112 W. 25th St.
- Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor: Timothy Akright to the Public Transit Advisory Committee and Danny Drungilas to the Traffic Safety Commission.
Bids and purchase items:
- Award bid for one John Deere front mount mower for the Parks and Recreation Department, to the low bidder, Deems Farm Equipment, for $24,400.
- Approve the purchase of 10 police vehicles from Olathe Ford for $208,430 and the purchase of three used police vehicles from the Kansas Highway Patrol for $33,750.
Adopt on second and final reading the following ordinances:
- Amending the joint city/county subdivision regulations to revise the design standards for the length of a cul-de-sac.
- Rezoning 4.1851 acres to planned residential development for property located south of West 27th Street and east of Wakarusa Drive.
- Amending Chapter 17 of the city code to establish a schedule of truck routes and truck delivery routes maintained by the city engineer. Kansas Highway 10 within the city limits will be included in this schedule as a truck route and 15th Street, Folks Road north of Sixth Street, and Overland Drive between Folks and Queens roads will be included as truck delivery routes.
- Establishing no parking along the south side of Harrison Place east of Harrison Avenue.
- Establishing a 45 mph speed limit on Kasold Drive between Peterson Road and the north city limits, and a 35 mph speed limit on Monterey Way between Stetson Drive and Peterson Road.
- Approve final plat for Perkins Place, a replat of Lot 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 and 78, Block 20 of West Lawrence Addition, and portions of adjacent rights-of-way for Alabama, Third and Illinois streets. This proposed six-lot subdivision contains approximately 1.054 acres. The property is located south of West Third Street and west of Illinois Street. Submitted by Landplan Engineering care of Janet Smalter for Brian W. Perkins, property owner of record.
- Approve preliminary development plan for Monterey PCD, Phase IV. The plan proposes a convenience store with gasoline sales. The property is located at the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Monterey Way. Submitted by Bartlett & West Engineers for Hy-Vee Inc.
- Authorize city manager to sign a right of way agreement with Robert Schumm for a projecting balcony at 717 Mass.
- Authorize the city manager to enter into a contract with Black and Veatch for professional services in the amount of $12,000 to review Verizon Wireless proposal for an antennae and building at the Stratford elevated water tank. Verizon Wireless has agreed to pay all costs related to Black and Veatch's review.
- Authorize the city manager to negotiate a contract with Black and Veatch for professional services for a vulnerability assessment of all water facilities.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Phyliss Saler, 2711 Maverick Lane.
- City manager's report.
- Receive presentations from representatives of the following city boards and commissions: Aviation Advisory Board; Bicycle Advisory Board; Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission; Public Transit Advisory Committee; Recycling and Resource Conservation Advisory Committee.
- Receive final report from GRI Research and Training on the city of Lawrence employee survey.
- Receive staff report concerning possible city acquisition of additional right-of-way and easements for 31st Street, just east of Iowa Street.
- Conduct public hearings and consider the following vacation requests:
a) Conduct public hearing concerning the vacation of a drainage easement adjacent to the south right-of-way line of Eagle Pass Court in Stonegate Subdivision. Approve order of vacation if appropriate.
b) Conduct public hearing concerning the vacation of a portion of a drainage easement on Lots 39 and 40, Block 1, Overland Addition. Approve order of vacation if appropriate.
c) Conduct public hearing concerning the vacation of Missouri Street approximately 50 feet by 80 feet located immediately south of the Lawrence Medical Plaza Addition. Approve order of vacation if appropriate. Approve Encroachment Agreement with H&S Holdings LLC.
- Receive 31st Street Corridor Study and discuss date for a joint study session with the Douglas County Commission. County Commission suggests 9 a.m. March 12 and would like to include discussion of its Kasold Drive extension project.