The commission will review a proposed capital improvements plan for 2004-2009 during a public hearing.
During its review of the six-year plan, the Planning Commission recommends specific improvements such as roads, bridges, utilities and buildings. The Lawrence City Commission later must give final approval and finance the projects.
Consider annexation of approximately 53 acres of land south of U.S. Highway 24-40 and west of East 1600 Road (south of Lawrence Municipal Airport) for a runway protection zone. Submitted by the city of Lawrence, property owners of record.
- Have public hearing on the proposed capital improvements plan for 2004-2009.
Kansas law provides the basis for the capital improvements program, which is a planning document that helps guide city investments in constructing public facilities or utilities that are in conformance with the adopted comprehensive plan. Projects listed on the plan may not be built during the projected time frame identified in the document. The Lawrence City Commission determines which projects will be funded when it reviews and updates the five-year capital-improvements budget during the annual budget process.
- An amendment to chapter 6, the commercial land use chapter of Horizon 2020, updating the review criteria and establishing new standards for commercial land use (development and redevelopment) in Lawrence and the unincorporated areas of Douglas County.
- An amendment to Horizon 2020, the city and county comprehensive land use, chapter 8 transportation, figures 14 and 15, to adopt the revised major thoroughfares maps for Lawrence urban growth area and Douglas County so they are consistent with the adopted comprehensive transportation plan.
- Amendment of the 2003-2007 transportation improvement program: Consider a recommendation from the Technical Advisory Committee to amend the program to revise project-letting dates for several Douglas County Public Works road projects and to add federally funded grants for the city Transit Department.
- Conditional-use permit request for topsoil removal. The property is generally at the east end of North 1600 Road. A legal description is on file in the Planning Office. Submitted by Landplan Engineering P.A. for Pine Family Investments LC, property owners of record.
- Text amendment to the city zoning ordinance, chapter 20 of the city code, revising section 20-1808, limitation on successive petitions to clarify the process and standards for submittal of a reapplication request. This item was deferred from the March Planning Commission meeting.
Miscellaneous new or old business
- Rural Water District No. 4 presentation.
- Follow-up report: Receive update from staff on City Commission and Douglas County Commission action taken on planning items from the March 26 meeting.
- Consideration of any other business to come before the commission.