Lawrence city commissioners will receive a year-end report for the Lawrence Transit System.
Transit officials are expected to tell commissioners that ridership has risen steadily, and they will outline marketing plans for the next year.
- Approve city commission meeting minutes of Dec. 10.
- Receive minutes of various boards and commissions: Traffic Safety Commission meeting of December; Amended Sign Code Board of Appeals minutes of Nov. 7; Amended Board of Zoning Appeals minutes of Nov. 7; Draft Sign Code Board of Appeals meeting of Dec. 5; Draft Planning Commission meeting of Nov. 20; Board of Electrical Examiners and Appeals meeting of October; Grant Review Board meeting of Oct. 14; Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meeting of Nov. 12; Public Health Board meeting of Oct. 21; Aviation Advisory Board meeting of Oct. 30; Library Board meeting of Nov. 18;
- Receive draft action summary from the Historic Resources Commission meeting of Nov. 21.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor: Lewis Roberts to the Douglas County Advocacy Council on Aging; Terry Leibold to the Library Board; and Rise Wudarczyk to the Human Relations Commission.
Bid and purchase items:
- Approve contract with Huxtables and Associates in the amount of $60,030 for replacement of heating, ventilation and cooling unit and controls for Police Department Investigations & Training Center (ITC) at 4820 W. 15th St.
- Approve purchase of seven 2003 Ford Crown Victoria police vehicles from Olathe Ford in the amount of $145,901 for the Police Department traffic unit. The Federal Traffic Safety grant, administered by KDOT, provides 80 percent reimbursement for this equipment purchase.
- Authorize city manager to execute engineering design contract with Bartlett & West Engineers for 12th and Mississippi streets stair improvements, in the amount of $12,500.
- Authorize city manager to execute engineering design contract with Bartlett & West Engineers for 23rd and Louisiana streets sanitary sewer improvements in the amount of $4,850.
- Approve workers compensation excess insurance coverage for 2003 with Employers Reinsurance Corporation in the amount of $30,658.
- Approve purchase of 12 Motorola MW 800 units for the Fire & Medical Department in the amount of $65,790.
- Approve 2003 Parks and Recreation concessions contract with Lawrence Athletic Concession.
- Award bid for one combination jet/vacuum truck for the Utilities Department to the bidder meeting specifications, Utility Maintenance Contractors, for $226,845.
- Adopt on first reading Ordinance No. 7597, adopting floodplain regulations for the city of Lawrence. The Division of Water Resources has approved the draft ordinance authorized by the city commission.
- Adopt Resolution No. 6445, establishing boundaries for the city of Lawrence.
- Approve site plan for retail tire shop at 1711 W. Sixth St., subject to conditions. Submitted by Belot/Hartronft Associates LLC on behalf of Harold Shepard, property owner of record.
- Receive recommendation from Planning Commission to proceed with annexation of property located at 1752 East 1300 Road, the northwest corner of Riverridge and North Iowa streets; refer to staff for report.
Approve unanimous recommendations from the Traffic Safety Commission:
- Deny the request to remove the raised island that separates the East Heights School drop-off/pick-up area from Haskell Avenue.
- Install a temporary partial diverter on Arizona Street between Sixth and Eighth streets. This temporary device will be constructed with materials currently in shop. However, there are no funds currently budgeted to construct this device permanently if that is the decision that is made in the future.
- Receive recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission to construct a pedestrian refuge island with crosswalk on 15th Street, just west of Brook Street. There are no funds currently budgeted to construct this island.
- Approve license agreement with the Lawrence Wesleyan Church to place a monument sign in an easement.
- Authorize the mayor to execute advised endowment fund agreement for Parks & Recreation with Douglas County Community Foundation.
- Approve agreement with FBD Consulting Inc. for the 2003 Compensation Plan Study.
City manager's report
- Receive report on status of tax abatement request from Serologicals Inc.
- Conduct refunding bond sale. Review bids and award bid to lowest responsible bidder. Declare emergency allowing the adoption of required ordinances on first and second reading.
- Receive staff report concerning proposed repair/improvements to Crossgate Drive north of Clinton Parkway.
- Receive Lawrence Transit System year-end report.
- Conduct public hearing concerning the vacation of the east half of the right-of-way of Fifth Street between Lots 15 and 16 in North Lawrence.