Abe & Jake's Landing
841-5855. 8 E. Sixth St. (limited parking in Lawrence Riverfront Plaza) Abe & Jake's Pub open Tuesdays-Fridays, 4 p.m.-2 a.m.; Saturdays noon-2 a.m.
- Thursdays: DJ Randy Foster.
- Sept. 20: DJ Randy Foster.
- Sept. 21: E-Double.
- Sept. 22: The Grand Fiasco.
842-3415. 3408 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Thursdays: John Weatherwax and the Junk Yard Jazz, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
749-7699. 601 Kasold. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Ten pool tables, daily drink specials, Astros matches the pot for Sunday tournaments.
Bambino's Italian Cafe
832-8800. 1801 Mass. Music by acoustic singer-songwriters Thursday-Sunday nights.
The Blue Moon
841-1533. 1910 Haskell Ave. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Live music Friday nights.
841-5483. 737 N.H. Club with dance floor and live music, featuring local and out-of-town bands.
- Sundays: Smackdown Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m. Karaoke with Super Ton Ton, 11 p.m.
- Mondays: KJHK presents open mike night.
- Sept. 20: Lake Trout, DJ Not a DJ.
- Sept. 21: Darwin's Waiting Room, Nonpoint, Switched, 5 p.m.-9:30 p.m. All-ages.
- Sept. 21: Lonesome Houndogs, Holstein, 10 p.m.
- Sept. 22: Thulium, Full Feature, Fatback.
- Sept. 24: Unwound, Chokebore.
- Sept. 25: Mike Watt, The Sound of Urchin, Bargain Music, Fifth Ticket Fraud.
- Sept. 26: Plea for Peace Action Tour: Cadillac Blindside, Hot Water Music, Matt Skiba (from Alkaline Trio), Strike Anywhere, Thrice, Mike Park, Zero Zero. All-ages, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 27: Six Percent, Braincased, Jeremy's Box.
Brown Bear Brewing Co.
331-4338. 729 Mass. Bands play 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. DJ Kilby, Monday and Friday nights. DJ JP, Wednesday and Saturday nights. Lawrence Musicians Network hosted by Lonnie Fisher, Tuesday nights. Carol Dressler's Acoustic Showcase, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. first Saturday of the month. Karaoke, first Thursday of ever month.
842-1414. 943 Mass.
- Sept. 23: Plug Spark Sanjay.
- Sept. 27: Messiahmyass.
842-7030. Ramada Inn, 2222 W. Sixth St. Opens 4 p.m. daily.
- Tuesdays-Saturdays: Karaoke.
843-9690. 1803 W. Sixth St.
- Wednesdays and Fridays: Bingo, 7 p.m.
Flamingo Dance Academy
331-2227. 1117 Mass.
- Fridays: Retro night dance party, 8 p.m.-midnight.
- Sundays: Swing dance, 9 p.m.-1 a.m., with salsa and swing lessons from 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
842-1390. 1020 Mass. PUMP with DJ Scott Allen, Saturdays. Sub Surface, with DJ JJ Mesmer and Marcel Tempest, Mondays. Acoustic Lounge, High Fidelity, 8 p.m.-midnight. Tuesdays. Live local music, Wednesdays. Retro dance party, Thursdays. Ladies Night, Fridays. Pump-all new dance night, Saturdays.
- Sept. 24: Unwound, Chokebone.
- Sept. 26: Ben Folds.
841-1960. 1031 Mass. Hours: 2:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekdays and 1:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekends. Featuring live music Sundays and live jazz Wednesdays. Three pool tables.
Jack Flanigans Bar and Grill
749-HAWK. Just off 23rd Street behind McDonald's. Billiards, darts, foos-ball, NTN and TVs in every booth. DJ, Thursday-Saturday nights. Open 4 p.m. daily and 11 a.m. weekends. Soft Tip Dart League on Tuesdays. DM Goman's Dance Party on Thursdays, Flashback Fridays Retro Dance on Fridays, 105.9 Lazer Saturday Night Dance Party on Saturdays, Soprano Sundays Showtime 8 p.m. Sundays.
749-3320. 926 1/2 Mass. Live jazz, funk, electric blues and original rock. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. daily. Concert information, 749-1387. All shows start at 10 p.m.
- Sept. 20: Six Year Sophomore, Full Feature.
- Sept. 21: Harper.
- Sept. 22: Jeffrey Lee & the Pale Moon Kings.
- Sept. 26: Steve Unruh.
- Sept. 27: Kathleen LaGue, Ready.
J.B. Stout's Grill & Bar
843-0704. 721 Wakarusa, in Wakarusa Plaza. Billiards and 27 TVs. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily.
842-0377. 401 N. Second St., across the Kansas bridge. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sundays. Cajun night every first and third Wednesdays of the month.
Kaspars Public House
843-9621. 3115 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Lawrence Dart League.
- Wednesdays: Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
842-8225. 2228 Iowa. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Nine billiard tables, dart league, big-screen television.
Pat's Blue Rib'N Barbecue
865-1618. 1618 W. 23rd St. Live music every Friday night. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. every day. NTN trivia.
The Pool Room
749-5039. Hillcrest Shopping Center, 925 Iowa. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Twenty-two billiard tables, seven TVs, videos. Weekly 8- 9- and 3-ball tournaments.
832-8228. 944 Mass. Darts, pool table, big-screen TVs. Celtic Jam Pub Night, 7 p.m. first Wednesday of every month. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-7676. 946 Mass. Pinball, video games, beer garden and occasional live music. Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Fridays and 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Saturday-Sundays.
749-5067. 623 Vt. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Darts, pool and shuffleboard. Live music every Saturday.
Harper Market Square on East 23rd St.
- Tuesdays: Open jam, 9 p.m.-midnight.
2907 W. Sixth. Pool tables. Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon to 2 a.m.-Saturdays Sundays.
Stu's Midtown Tavern
749-1666. 925 Iowa. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Two pool tables, four dart boards, Golden Tee 2002. Live music Friday and Saturday nights.
- First and third Wednesdays: Heads, Hands & Feat, 9 p.m.-midnight.
- Second Wednesdays: Eddie Haskell's Middle Finger.
- Sept. 21: Blue Condition, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Sept. 22: Late For Dinner Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
838-4623. 729 N.H. Hours: 8:30 p.m.-2 a.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays.
- Sept. 20: Bombsquad, 5 p.m.-8 p.m., for ages 15-18 only with student I.D.
843-2078. 138 Ala.
- Thursdays: Bingo/pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
(785) 594-9909. 713 High St.
- Sept. 21: Galileo, eclectic mix.
Bichelmeyer's Steakhouse Restaurant
(913) 369-2337. 427 E. Fourth St.
- Fridays: Tom Eversole on baby grand piano, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Live jazz, featuring Mr. Van's Jazz Band, 7 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
(913) 631-2591. Fourth and Main streets. Alcohol- and smoke-free environment.
- Saturdays: Branson-style country music, 7:30 p.m.-10 p.m.
B.B.'s Lawnside Bar-B-Q
(816) 822-7427. 1205 E. 85th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 20: John Paul's Flying Circus, 8:30 p.m.-midnight.
- Sept. 21: Frank Ace Blues Band, 9:30 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Sept. 22: Kevin Burks and the Instigators, 9:30 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Sept. 23: The Confessors, 8 p.m.-11 p.m.
The Beaumont Club
(816) 561-2668. 4050 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 27: Gov't Mule.
Big Daddy's Cajun Kitchen
(816) 471-3339. 112 E. Mo., Kansas City, Mo.
- Wednesdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Jam, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Sept. 21: Billy Ebeling and the Late For Dinner Band, 8 p.m. - midnight.
(816) 561-3747. 415 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Saturdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Davey's Uptown Rambler's Club
(816) 753-1909. 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 20: Grand Champeen, Filthy Jim.
- Sept. 21: Robbie Fulks.
- Sept. 22: Richard Buckner, Anders Parker.
- Sept. 25: Ian Charles.
- Sept. 26: Subarachnoid Space, Erfman.
- Sept. 27: Rosie Flores
(816) 419-7278. 3101 E. Gillham, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 26: The Rapture, Casket Lottery, Santo Gold.
(816) 767-9999. 11515 Hickman Mills Dr., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: DJ 101 Mike Savage.
(816) 531-1504. 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Brother Ike's Rural Grit Happy Hour, 6 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Caribbean Nights, 6 p.m. - midnight.
- Fridays: Brody Buster's Rush-Hour Rendezvous, 5:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Royal Blue Matinee with Millage Gilbert, 4 p.m.
- Sept. 20: Walter Trout & the Radicals.
- Sept. 21: Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials.
- Sept. 22: Phil Callier & Jhamm.
- Sept. 24: Dave Brockie Experience, Stretchmarx.
- Sept. 25: Randy McAllister.
- Sept. 26: Anthony B, Urban Safari.
- Sept. 27: BCR.
(816) 753-0884. 4048 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 20: Stuck on Evil, Dark Matter.
- Sept. 21: Daybirds, Astrogin.
- Sept. 22: Jade Raven, Arlo, Tawni Freeland 5.
- Sept. 23: Ex-Girl, Evil Beaver.
- Sept. 25: Cockeyed Ghost, Quadratics.
- Sept. 26: Gaza Strippers, Last of the V8s, Thrones.
Jazz: A Louisiana Kitchen
(816) 561-5556. 39th and State Line Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 23: Late For Dinner Band, 7 p.m.-11 p.m.
928 Wyandotte, downtown, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 25: Billy Ebeling, 8 p.m.-midnight.
(816) 561-2821. 16 W. 43rd St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Tuesdays: Round Midnite featuring Wes Blackman, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays: Simplexity, 9:30 p.m-1:30 a.m.
- Fridays: Scott Newcomer, 5 p.m.-8 p.m.; Groove Agency, 10 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Saturdays: Camp Harlow, 5 p.m.-8 p.m.
(816) 561-0625. 805 W. 39th.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: Karaoke.
New Point Grille
44th Street and Southwest Trafficway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 20: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
- Sept. 21: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, Sam Johnson, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 22: Allen Monroe, Trelicious, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 25: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 26: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 27: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, 7 p.m.
O'Dowd's Little Dublin
(816) 561-2700. 4742 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 22: Jakob's Well.
(913) 648-4242. 7042 W. 76th St., Overland Park, Kan.
- Tuesdays: Acoustic open mike.
- Thursdays: Karaoke.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
(913) 236-6211. 7230 W. 75th St., Overland Park.
- Tuesdays: Karaoke.
- Wednesdays: Lucid Dream.
- Thursdays: Phil Callier.
- Sundays: Phil Callier.
(816) 421-5949. Ninth & Walnut, Kansas City, Mo.
- Tuesdays: Body Electric featuring Miss Michaela, Thatonegurl.
- Wednesdays: Downtown Lounge featuring Flotilla, Khalil.
- Thursdays: Organic featuring DJ Konsept.
- Fridays: Open mike night.
- Saturdays: Natural Disaster.
- Sept. 22: "One" anniversary show, featuring Konsept, Rolad, Candace Cooper, Thatonegurl, Ryan Vaughn, Flotilla, RJ Bass, Eclypz, Khalil, Larry Gonnello Jr., Jim Hubbell, Miss Michaela, l0 p.m.-3 a.m.
Stanford and Sons
(816) 753-5653. 504 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Open mike night, 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Best of Kansas City, 8:30 p.m.
- Sept. 20: A.J. Johnson, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
- Sept. 21-22: Pablo Francisco, 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- Sept. 23: Pablo Francisco, 8:30 p.m.
- Sept. 26-27: Larry the Cable Guy, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
Stanford & Sons Overland Park
(913) 385-3866. 106th and Metcalf, Overland Park.
- Sept. 20: Pablo Francisco, 8 p.m.
(816) 753-0555 47th and Pennsylvania streets, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thursdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
7438 Wornall Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Velvet Freeze.
(913) 451-3100. 12030 Blue Valley Pkwy., Overland Park.
- Tuesdays: Bob Reeder.
534 N. Kansas, in Historic North Topeka. Wednesdays: Golden Oldies with 99.3 FM' Louie-Louie, Thursdays: Blues night, with local blues bands, Fridays: Classic Country-local country bands, Saturdays: Latin night, local Mexican bands, Sundays: Teen night.
Old World Cafe
(785) 271-5910. 5217 SW 28th Court.
- Fridays: Dan Kozak Saxophonia.
- Saturdays: Dan Kozak Jazz Trio.
Remington's Nite Club
(785) 271-8700. 1155 Wanamaker Road. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., Wed.-Sat.
- Wednesdays: Free dance lessons, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Thursdays: V100 Rock Night, free pool, 9 p.m.-11 p.m.; Thursday Night at the Fights, live boxing.
- Fridays: Ladies Night.
- Saturdays: 2 Steppin' and Line Dancin'.
Shakers Night Club
(785) 232-3300. 124 S.W. Eighth.
- Mondays: Male Elite Dancers, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Live music, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Karaoke, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Thursdays: Jam session, with John Henderson and friends.
- Fridays: Big John 39th Street Blues Band.
- Wednesdays: "Brown Bag Classics" recitals, 12:30 p.m.-1 p.m., Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union.
- Fridays: "Tunes at Noon," noon-1 p.m., plaza in front of Kansas Union, through Oct. 12.
Recitals at 7:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 3:30 p.m. Sundays in Swarthout Recital Hall, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 20: Susan Andrade, 7:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall.
Memorial Drive, Kansas University.
- Sunday: Concert, 5 p.m.
749-1912. 644 Mass.
- Sept. 27: moe.
Ameristar Casino Hotel
(816) 414-7700. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 21: Chris LeDoux.
12055 Metcalf, Overland Park.
- Sept. 22: Terry Whetstone, American Indian flute, 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
9108 Metcalf, Overland Park.
- Sept. 21: Terry Whetstone, American Indian flute, 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
UMKC Conservatory of Music
(816) 235-2700 (ticket office). Center for the Performing Arts, 50th and Cherry streets, Kansas City, Mo. Concerts at 7:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays in White Recital Hall, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 21: Conservatory Orchestra.
- Sept. 22: Moscow Chamber Orchestra.
- Sept. 25: Conservatory Wind Ensemble.
Johnson County Community College
(913) 469-4445. 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park. Performances at 8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays in Yardley Hall, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 24: Cynthia Egger, guitar.
- Sept. 25: Mike Metheny Quintet.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City
1029 Central, Kansas City, Mo.
- "The Magic Flute," Sept. 22, 24, 26, 28, 30.
The Madrid Theatre
(816) 753-8880. 3810 and Main, Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: ballroom and salsa dancing.
- Sept. 21: Grand Opening Dance Gala.
- Sept. 22: Queen Bey.
- Sept. 27: Keb' Mo'.
(816) 931-3330. 600 N. Seventh St., Kansas City, Kan.
- Sept. 23: Wichita Symphony Orchestra, 3 p.m.
1228 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 23: Maxwell, Alicia Keys, 8 p.m.
William Jewell College
(816) 415-5025. Liberty, Mo. Performances at 8 p.m., unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 22: Soprano Nicole Heaston, 8 p.m.
Meet Me Downtown
Ninth St. between Kansas Ave. and Jackson St.
- Sept. 20: Dan Kozak Jazz, Topeka Ascension Orkester, 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
19th and Washburn streets, White Concert Hall.
- Sept. 22: Dan Kozak Jazz, 4:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
(785) 594-6451 or (785) 594-2305. Rice Auditorium, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 27: Doug Talley Quartet, 7:30 p.m.
North of Clinton Lake, off
of 700 Road.
- Sept. 23: Performance by Joan Stone, 5 p.m.-7 p.m.
864-ARTS. West Campus, Kansas University.
- Sept. 22: "Dance, the Spirit of Cambodia," 7:30 p.m.
Ticket information, Murphy Hall Box Office, 864-3982, or the Lied Center Box Office, 864-2787.
- Sept. 20-23 and 25-28: "Butterfly Kiss," 7:30 p.m., Inge Theatre, Murphy Hall.
Dale Easton Apple Valley
(888) 634-4219 or (785) 876-2114. Near Lake Perry.
- Saturdays: "The Drunkard," 8:30 p.m., through Sept. 29.
- Saturdays in October: "Frankenstein," 8 p.m.
Seem-To-Be Players Children's Theatre
843-5067. Lawrence Arts Center, 200 W. Ninth St., unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 22-23: "American Tall Tales," 1:30 p.m.
American Heartland Theatre Co.
(816) 842-9999. Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Performance times vary. Show times: 8 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Solitary Confinement," through Oct. 21.
(816) 474-6552. 2450 Grand Blvd., Crown Center, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 10 a.m. and noon Wednesdays-Fridays, 7 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Sacagawea: Breath of an American Spirit," Sept. 25-Oct. 26:
The Lighten Up Playhouse
(816) 474-4386. 323 W. Eighth St. in Lucas Place, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Play it By Ear!" 7:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "Ultimate Yard Sale," 10 p.m. Fridays.
- "Outside the Lines," 10 p.m. Saturdays.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City
(816) 471-7344. 1029 Central, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 7:30 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays, 8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Magic Flute," Sept. 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30.
Missouri Repertory Theatre
(816) 235-2700. Center for the Performing Arts, 50th and Cherry streets, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 8 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Philadelphia Story," through Sept. 30.
The New Theatre Restaurant
(913) 649-SHOW. 9229 Foster, Overland Park. Meals begin at 6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon Sundays.
- "Social Security," through Nov. 4.
Theatre for Young America
(913) 831-1400. Mission Center Mall, 4881 Johnson Drive, Mission. Show times are 10 a.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 2 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Sept. 28: "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse."
Topeka Civic Theatre
Box office, (785) 357-5211. Dinner and non-dinner seating. Box office, Gage and S.W. Eighth streets. Performance times are 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays; 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays, with dinner starting at 6 p.m.; and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Odd Couple," through Sept. 22.
Helen Hocker Center for the Performing Arts
(785) 273-1191. 215 S.E. Seventh St. Performances at 8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Sept. 21-23: "Once On This Island," 8 p.m. Sept. 21-22 and 2:30 p.m. Sept. 23.
Theatre Atchison, (913) 367-1647.
- Sept. 21-23: "The Cemetery Club," 8 p.m. Sept. 21-22 and 2 p.m. Sept. 23.
Kaw Mission State Historic Site, 500 N. Mission.
- Sept. 21-22: "Voices of the Wind People."
Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art
864-4710. On Mississippi Street west of the Kansas Union on the Kansas University campus. Comprehensive museum with paintings, sculpture, graphics and textiles. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays; and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays.
- "American Indian Art," through Nov. 3.
- Sept. 24: Paul Share, graphic designer, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 23: "The Flute in French and German Baroque Chamber Music," 2:30 p.m.
Kenneth Spencer Research Library
Behind Strong Hall on Poplar Lane, KU campus. Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, and noon-4 p.m. Saturdays (Kansas Collection and Special Collections only).
- "John Gould: Birds and Beasts," through early October.
Kansas University Natural History Museum
864-4540 or 864-4450. On Jayhawk Blvd. on KU campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
Programs for children; to register, call 864-4173.
- Sept. 21: "Micro Mystery Tour," 9 a.m.-4 p.m., second-fifth graders.
- Sept. 23: "Great Barrier Reef," 1 p.m.-3 p.m., ages 7-12.
Museum of Anthropology
864-4245. Spooner Hall on KU campus. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- 13th Annual Lawrence Indian Arts Show, through Oct. 21.
Clyde W. Tombaugh
864-3166. 500 Lindley Hall. Open to the public for observations on the second and fourth Sunday nights of each month, if skies are clear, 8 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Watkins Community Museum of History
841-4109. 1047 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays. Hands-on history room for children, call for hours.
- "Woman Who Pulls Teeth: Dr. Lucy Hobbs Taylor, First woman Doctor of Dental Surgery."
- "Underground Railroad in Douglas County, Kansas."
- "The Basketball Man: Dr. James Naismith."
Clinton Lake Museum
(785) 748-0800. Route 5. Hours: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays and by appointment.
- "Clinton Lake Communities: The First 20 Years, 1854-1874."
- "The Underground Railroad."
- "The J.C. Steele House."
Kansas Museum of History
(785) 272-8681. 6425 S.W. Sixth St. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Kansas History Center Nature Trail, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- "From Gems to Gimcracks, The Discovery Place," hands-on gallery for children, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. daily.
Mulvane Art Museum
(785) 231-1124. 17th and Jewell streets on the Washburn University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Outdoor Art Exhibition.
- "Different Realities," works by Robert Brawley, Randall Exon and John Kuhn, through Sept. 30.
Heartland Orthodox Christian Museum
(785) 234-5993. 523 S.W. Van Buren.
- "Spiritual Treasures of Czarist Russia: Holy Russian Icons, 1660-1917," through Oct. 31.
Territorial Capital Museum
(913) 887-6148. National Historic Registrar Site, near downtown Lecompton. Exhibits about territorial Kansas. Hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
(913) 887-6520. National Landmark, Kansas HIstoric Site. 319 Elmore. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Bleeding Kansas exhibits. Free.
Coal Creek Library
Eight miles south of Lawrence on Douglas County Road 1055, east on Douglas County Road 460. Established Nov. 22, 1859. Hours: noon-4 p.m. Sundays, April through October. Area historical information. For appointment, call (913) 594-3960.
Old Jefferson Town
(785) 863-2070. Hours: 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-5 p.m. Sunday and Monday evenings through November. Collection of vintage buildings, including John Steuart Curry boyhood home, a bow string bridge, wind wagon sculpture, windmill, bell tower and five acres of native grass and wildflowers. Group tours by appointment.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
(816) 561-4000. 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Comprehensive art museum. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Sept. 21: Tabu V., Panic Bodies.
- Sept. 25: The 20th Annual Joseph S. and Ethel B. Atha Lecture: Jacob van Ruisdael's Landscapes Revisited, 6 p.m., Auditorium.
- Sept. 21: Electromediascope, featuring "Tabu V" and "Panic Bodies," 7 p.m., Atkins Auditorium.
The Kemper Museum
of Contemporary Art
4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Ken Aptekar: Painting Between the Lines, 1990-2000," through Dec. 2.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Oct. 7.
- "Picture This: Permanent Collect Photography," through Oct. 7.
Kansas City Museum
(816) 483-8300. 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Exhibits also at Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St.
- Fridays-Sundays: "The Truth Is Out There," ongoing.
Johnson County Museum
(913) 631-6709. 6305 Lackman, Shawnee. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Free admission.
- "Cold War: Promise and Fear in the 1950s," through Dec. 30.
- "Seeking the Good Life" and "1950s All-Electric House," ongoing.
Hallmark Visitors Center
(816) 274-3613. Crown Center, 25th and McGee streets, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays; 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays and most holidays. Free admission, wheelchair accessible. Reservations required for groups of 10 or more.
- Creative and Hallmark Keepsake Ornament exhibit.
- J.C. Hall Christmas Trees, year-round.
Toy and Miniature Museum
(816) 333-9328. 5235 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Saturdays: "The Great Mystery" puppet shows, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.; River and Prairie Storyweavers, 1 p.m.
- Snoopy and Peanuts memorabilia, through Oct. 27
Union Station-Science City
Pershing Road and Main Street, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, with extended hours to 8 p.m. Thursdays.
- "Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets," 11:15 a.m., 2:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:45 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
- "Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure," film.
- "Oasis in Space,"1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays and Sundays and 10:45 a.m., 1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays.
- "After Hours," with the McFadden Brothers, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "True Colors," 10 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:15 p.m. , 4:45 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon, 12:45 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Sunday.
- "Sky Quest," 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays, 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, and 11:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Fridays.
- "Good Vibrations," 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Sunday.
- "Mark Twain's America," 10 a.m., 1:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.a nd 5:15 p.m. Sundays.
- "Encounter the Third Dimension," 5:30 p.m. Saturdays.
- "Challenger Learning Center's Rendezvous With a Comet," Family Missions, 11 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 2:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday.
- "Mysteries of Egypt," "Encounter in the Third Dimension," "Mark Twain's America," "Sky Quest."
- "Pink Floyd's The Wall," 10:15 p.m., 11 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- Laser Shows, "Laser Magic," "Laser Retro," "Laser Beatles," "Laseropolis."
- "Rendezvous with a Comet," 11 a.m., 12:15 a.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m., Wednesdays-Sundays.
- "Magic of Flight," 12:15 a.m., 3:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m.Mondays-Thursdays, 12:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m Fridays-Saturdays, noon, 3:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sundays.
- "PopMania," 6:15 p.m. daily.
- "Union Station Stories" exhibit, 6 a.m.-midnight daily, show 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Fridays, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Union Station tours, 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 11:15 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 4:45 p.m. and 5:15 Fridays-Saturdays, and 12:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Sundays.
ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
2818 Frederick Blvd. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "Remembering the Family Farm," through Nov. 4.
- Works of Megan Wyeth, through Oct. 27.
- Works of George Catlin, through Nov. 4.
- Works of Bridget Dobson, Nov. 16.-Feb. 3.
Old Depot Museum
(785) 242-1250. 135 W. Tecumseh. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "Vanishing Towns/Vanishing Values," through Oct. 3.
- "Rails, Trails and Prairie Tales," plus H-O model trains and period rooms, ongoing.
- "Ottawa Newsreels 1937-1938-1939," films.
Beach Museum of Art
(785) 532-7718. On the Kansas State University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays, with extended hours to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Sept. 23.
Dane G. Hansen Memorial
(785) 689-4846. 110 W. Main. Hours: 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Sunlight and Shadow: 1885-1945," through Oct. 21.
Art and Design Gallery
Art and Design Building, KU campus. Hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Fridays, 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Closed Saturdays and holidays.
- Carlyle Smith, jewelry, through Sept. 21.
- Faculty exchange exhibit with College of Art, School of Painting, Edinburgh Scotland, Sept. 23-Oct. 6.
Artframes Gallery and
Artforms Sculpture Garden
842-1991. 912 Ill. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays or by appointment.
Back to the Garden
749-3109. 619 N. Second St., one block north of Kansas River bridge. Works by Celestial Ironworks and other unique art for house and garden.
Back to the Garden
1017 Mass. (second location). Works by Celestial Ironworks and other unique art for house and garden.
Blackbird Trading Post
841-1498. 1011 1/2 Mass. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. six days a week, except closed on Tuesdays. Art, antiques, unusual treasures.
- Works by Gotfred Beardshear.
749-0200. 846 Pa. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays.
- Contemporary fine crafts by national and local artists, including ceramics, metal, wood, jewelry and furniture.
Celia Smith Studio
843-8417. 907 W. 27th Terrace. Hours: By appointment only.
- Symbolic and narrative paintings; holistic portraits, prints and cards.
Creative Hand Studio
832-9413. 2504 Westdale Road. Call for an appointment.
- Original art by Barbara Jarvis, including paintings, collages, wall designs, borders, art arrangement and hanging.
Diana Dunkley at Studio 3D
842-2858. 1019 Del. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diverse work in many media, including transparent watercolor figures and landscapes, abstract and allegorical metallic watercolors, monotypes, sculpture. Sometimes featuring work by other regional and international artists. Call for more information.
Kristin Dempsey Portraiture and Fine Art Studio
749-3368 or (800) 640-1230, code 01. 1804 Ill. Call for appointment. Web sites: www.dempseyportraits.com; www.kristindempsey.com.
- Pencil, charcoal and oil portraiture, including pets; oil paintings; limited prints, note cards, commercial illustration.
841-2254. 416 E. Ninth St.
- Original quilts by Fran Beier, through early October.
749-0430. 625 Walnut. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Imported African and Asian art. Call before visiting.
842-7187. 712 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, with extended hours to 8 p.m. Thursdays, and 12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Stoneware sculpture by Ryan Paget. Paintings by Paula Hauser Leffel, Lauretta Hendricks-Backus, K. M. Kern, Tom Russell and Rosemary Murphy. Mixed media on paper by Colette Bangert. Assemblages by Karen Jacks. Photography by Gary Smith and James Nedresky.
Free State Glass Gallery
840-0900. 1021 Mass. Hand-blown glass and sculpture. Hours: noon-5 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
842-2770. 723 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Works by national and international artists, including jewelry designs by Peter Zacharias and enamels by Faulker Fusaiy.
Haskell Indian Nations
749-8417. 155 Indian Ave.
- Exhibit of photos from the Rinehart Collection, library.
331-3511. 11 East Eighth St. Hours: Sunday and Monday, 5 p.m.-2 a.m.; Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Oil paintings by Aaron Marable and photographs by Brant Watson and Shelly Horst.
Iveth Jalinsky Studio
749-4801 or 550-9530. By appointment only. email@example.com.
- Paintings by Iveth Jalinsky.
15 E. Seventh St.
- Fine art portraits.
Jennifer Immel Oldridge Home Studio
331-3090. 112 W. 15th St. By appointment only. Web site: www.sunflower.com/~dojo.
- Pastel drawings, portraits, note cards and oil and acrylic paintings.
Julie Hammer Home Studio
841-1191 or 841-1800, by appointment only.
- Watercolor paintings, prints and note cards.
Karla Nathan Home Studio
832-2835. 1754 E. 1200 Road. Open by appointment.
- Hand-painted antique furniture, floral and landscape watercolors, murals and faux finishes.
Kansas Union Gallery
Level 4. Hours: 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays.
Laura's Fine Art Studio
843-3969. 824 Mass. Original artwork by owner/artist Laura Torres Porter. Specializing in portraiture, customized artwork for murals, furniture, ceramics, logo design and more.
Lawrence Arts Center
843-ARTS. 200 W. Ninth St.
- Prints by contemporary American Indian artists from El Cerro Graphics, through Oct. 5.
Lawrence Public Library
Seventh Street and Vermont.
- "Healing the Sacred Hoop: Baby Quilts by American Indian Mothers" and "13 Years: Lawrence Indian Art Show Posters," September.
- Authentic Native American Beaded Earings, through September.