Abe & Jake's Landing
841-5855. 8 E. Sixth St. (limited parking in Lawrence Riverfront Plaza) Abe & Jake's Pub open Tuesdays-Fridays, 4 p.m.-2 a.m.; Saturdays noon-2 a.m.
- Tuesdays: Singer-songwriter night.
- Thursdays: DJ Randy Foster.
- Sept. 8: The Band That Saved the World.
842-3415. 3408 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Thursdays: John Weatherwax and the Junk Yard Jazz, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
749-7699. 601 Kasold. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Ten pool tables, daily drink specials, Astros matches the pot for Sunday tournaments.
Bambino's Italian Cafe
832-8800. 1801 Mass. Music by acoustic singer-songwriters Thursday-Sunday nights.
The Blue Moon
841-1533. 1910 Haskell Ave. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Live music Friday nights.
841-5483. 737 N.H. Club with dance floor and live music, featuring local and out-of-town bands.
- Sundays: Smackdown Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m.; karaoke with Super Ton Ton, 11 p.m.
- Mondays: KJHK presents open mike night.
- Sept. 6: Yonder Mountain String Band.
- Sept. 7: The Impossibles, Recover.
- Sept. 8: Pedro the Lion, Seldom, The Elevator Division.
- Sept. 11: Propagandhi, Randy, Sense of Self, Element.
- Sept. 12: Ghosty.
- Sept. 13: Suplecs, Dixie Witch.
Brown Bear Brewing Co.
331-4338. 729 Mass. Bands play 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. DJ Kilby, Monday and Friday nights. DJ JP, Wednesday and Saturday nights. Lawrence Musicians Network hosted by Lonnie Fisher, Tuesday nights. Carol Dressler's Acoustic Showcase, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. first Saturday of the month. Karaoke, first Thursday of ever month.
842-1414. 943 Mass.
- Sept. 13: Ghosty.
842-7030. Ramada Inn, 2222 W. Sixth St. Opens 4 p.m. daily.
- Tuesdays-Saturdays: Karaoke.
843-9690. 1803 W. Sixth St.
- Wednesdays and Fridays: Bingo, 7 p.m.
Flamingo Dance Academy
331-2227. 1117 Mass.
- Fridays: Retro night dance party, 8 p.m.-midnight.
- Sundays: Swing dance, 9 p.m.-1 a.m., with salsa and swing lessons from 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
842-1390. 1020 Mass. PUMP with DJ Scott Allen, Saturdays. Sub Surface, with DJ JJ Mesmer and Marcel Tempest, Mondays. Acoustic Lounge, High Fidelity, 8 p.m.-midnight. Tuesdays. Live local music, Wednesdays. Retro dance party, Thursdays. Ladies Night, Fridays. Pump-all new dance night, Saturdays.
- Sept. 12: Rollins Band, Mother Superior.
841-1960. 1031 Mass. Hours: 2:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekdays and 1:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekends. Featuring live music Sundays and live jazz Wednesdays. Three pool tables.
Jack Flanigans Bar and Grill
749-HAWK. Just off 23rd Street behind McDonald's. Billiards, darts, foos-ball, NTN and TVs in every booth. DJ, Thursday-Saturday nights. Open 4 p.m. daily and 11 a.m. weekends. Soft Tip Dart League on Tuesdays. DM Goman's Dance Party on Thursdays, Flashback Fridays Retro Dance on Fridays, 105.9 Lazer Saturday Night Dance Party on Saturdays, Soprano Sundays Showtime 8 p.m. Sundays.
749-3320. 926 1/2 Mass. Live jazz, funk, electric blues and original rock. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. daily. Concert information, 749-1387. All shows start at 10 p.m.
- Sept. 6: Blue Roux.
- Sept. 7: Tim Mahoney & the Meenies.
- Sept. 8: Nace Brothers Band.
- Sept. 13: Reggae Cowboys.
J.B. Stout's Grill & Bar
843-0704. 721 Wakarusa, in Wakarusa Plaza. Billiards and 27 TVs. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily.
842-0377. 401 N. Second St., across the Kansas bridge. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sundays. Cajun night every first and third Wednesdays of the month.
Kaspars Public House
843-9621. 3115 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Lawrence Dart League.
- Wednesdays: Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
- Sept. 13: Billy Ebeling, 7:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
842-8225. 2228 Iowa. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Nine billiard tables, dart league, big-screen television.
The Pool Room
749-5039. Hillcrest Shopping Center, 925 Iowa. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Twenty-two billiard tables, seven TVs, videos. Weekly 8- 9- and 3-ball tournaments.
832-8228. 944 Mass. Darts, pool table, big-screen TVs. Celtic Jam Pub Night, 7 p.m. first Wednesday of every month. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-7676. 946 Mass. Pinball, video games, beer garden and occasional live music. Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Fridays and 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Saturday-Sundays.
- Sept. 12: Dead Moon.
- Sept. 13: 90 Day Men.
749-5067. 623 Vt. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Darts, pool and shuffleboard. Live music every Saturday.
Harper Market Square on East 23rd St.
- Tuesdays: Open jam, 9 p.m.-midnight.
Stu's Midtown Tavern
749-1666. 925 Iowa. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Two pool tables, four dart boards, Golden Tee 2002. Live music Friday and Saturday nights.
- First and third Wednesdays: Heads, Hands & Feat, 9 p.m.-midnight.
- Second Wednesdays: Eddie Haskell's Middle Finger.
- Sept. 7: Electric Stone Band, 9 p.m.
843-2078. 138 Ala.
- Thursdays: Bingo/pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
(785) 594-9909. 713 High St.
- Sept 7: Rick Bruner, folk music.
Bichelmeyer's Steakhouse Restaurant
(913) 369-2337. 427 E. Fourth St.
- Fridays: Tom Eversole, baby grand piano, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Live jazz, featuring Mr. Van's Jazz Band, 7 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
(913) 631-2591. Fourth and Main streets. Alcohol- and smoke-free environment.
- Saturdays: Branson-style country music, 7:30 p.m.-10 p.m.
B.B.'s Lawnside Bar-B-Q
(816) 822-7427. 1205 E. 85th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 6: John Paul's Flying Circus, 8:30 p.m.-midnight.
- Sept. 7: Henry Clay Band.
- Sept. 8: Nick Holt Blues Band.
- Sept. 9: The Confessors, 8 p.m.-11 p.m.
- Sept. 13: John Paul's Flying Circus, 8:30 p.m.-midnight.
The Beaumont Club
(816) 561-2668. 4050 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 7: Cold.
Big Daddy's Cajun Kitchen
(816) 471-3339. 112 E. Mo., Kansas City, Mo.
- Wednesdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Jam, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.
(816) 561-3747. 415 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Saturdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Davey's Uptown Rambler's Club
(816) 753-1909. 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 8: The Goners, The Throttlers.
Eden Alley Restaurant
707 W. 47th St., on the Plaza, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 7: Mark T. Gottschall.
(816) 419-7278. 3101 E. Gillham, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 6: Takedowns, Tanka Ray, Fracus.
- Sept. 8: Reach The Sky, Rise Against, Scared of Chaka.
- Sept. 9: No Motiv, Rittlin' Kids, Fairview, mi6.
- Sept. 13: Staggers, Roustabouts.
(816) 767-9999. 11515 Hickman Mills Dr., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: DJ 101 Mike Savage.
(816) 531-1504. 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Brother Ike's Rural Grit Happy Hour, 6 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Caribbean Nights, 6 p.m-midnight.
- Fridays: Brody Buster's Rush-Hour Rendezvous, 5:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Royal Blue Matinee with Millage Gilbert, 4 p.m.
- Sept. 6: Brian Culbertson.
- Sept. 7: Morells, Kristie Stremel, Duane Jarvis, Domino Kings, Honky Tonk Chateau.
- Sept. 8: Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets, Sam Myers.
- Sept. 10: The Dragons.
- Sept. 11: Sprague Brothers.
- Sept. 12: Tobey Foyeh.
- Sept. 13: KCBS Jam.
(816) 753-0884. 4048 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 6: Deathray Davies, Rex Hobart, Centromatic.
- Sept. 7: Onward Crispin Glover.
- Sept. 8: Lie Awake.
- Sept. 9: Filthy Jim, Operator Generator, Bottom.
- Sept. 10: Apples in Stereo, Edith Frost, An Old Surrender.
- Sept. 12: Barphyte, Bent, Phantom Fear.
Jazz: A Louisiana Kitchen
(816) 561-5556. 39th and State Line Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 12: Late For Dinner Band, 7 p.m.-11 p.m.
(816) 561-2821. 16 W. 43rd St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays & Tuesdays: The 43rd Street Combo, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays & Thursdays: Simplexity, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
- Fridays: Scott Newcomer 5 p.m.-8 p.m., Groove Agency, 10 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Saturdays: Camp Harlow 5 p.m.-8 p.m., Groove Agency, 10 p.m.-2 a.m.
(816) 561-0625. 805 W. 39th.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: Karaoke.
New Point Grille
44th Street and Southwest Trafficway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 6: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
- Sept. 7: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, Sam Johnson.
- Sept. 8: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, Sam Johnson.
- Sept. 11: Allen Monroe, Trelicious.
- Sept. 12: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
- Sept. 13: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
O'Dowd's Little Dublin
(816) 561-2700. 4742 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 8: DJ Rico.
(913) 648-4242. 7042 W. 76th St., Overland Park, Kan.
- Tuesdays: Acoustic open mike.
- Thursdays: Karaoke.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
(913) 236-6211. 7230 W. 75th St., Overland Park.
- Tuesdays: Karaoke.
- Wednesdays: Lucid Dream.
- Thursdays: Phil Callier.
- Sundays: Phil Callier.
Stanford and Sons
(816) 753-5653. 504 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Open mike night, 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Best of Kansas City, 8:30 p.m.
- Sept. 6: Bobby Slayton, 8:30 p.m.
- Sept. 7-8: Bobby Slayton, 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
(816) 753-0555 47th and Pennsylvania streets, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thursdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
7438 Wornall Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Velvet Freeze.
(913) 451-3100. 12030 Blue Valley Pkwy., Overland Park.
- Tuesdays: Bob Reeder.
628 S. Kansas Ave.
- Sept. 8: Rowan, 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
534 N. Kansas, in Historic North Topeka. Wednesdays: Golden Oldies with 99.3FM' Louie-Louie, Thursdays: Blues night, with local blues bands, Fridays: Classic Country-local country bands, Saturdays: Latin night, local Mexican bands, Sundays: Teen night.
Old World Cafe
(785) 271-5910. 5217 SW 28th Court.
- Fridays: Dan Kozak Saxophonia.
- Saturdays: Dan Kozak Jazz Trio.
Remington's Nite Club
(785) 271-8700. 1155 Wanamaker Road. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., Wed.-Sat.
- Wednesdays: Free Dance Lessons, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Thursdays: V100 Rock Night, free pool, 9 p.m.-11 p.m. Thursday Night at the Fights, live boxing.
- Fridays: Ladies Night.
- Saturdays: 2 Steppin' and Line Dancin'.
Shakers Night Club
(785) 232-3300. 124 S.W. Eighth.
- Mondays: Male Elite Dancers, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Live music, 7 pm.-9 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Karaoke, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Thursdays: Jam session, with John Henderson and friends.
- Fridays: Big John 39th Street Blues Band.
- Sept. 9: Undergraduate piano concerto readings, with KU Symphony Orchestra, 7:30 p.m., Lied Center.
- Sept. 12: Mike Hall, tombone,12:30 p.m.-1 p.m., Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union.
- Wednesdays: "Brown Bag Classics" recitals, 12: 30 p.m.-1 p.m., Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union.
- Fridays: "Tunes at Noon," noon-1 p.m., plaza in front of Kansas Union, Sept. 7-Oct. 12.
331-3226. 700 N.H.
- Sept. 8: Melvin Litton, live music, 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
DreadRock Music Festival
Clinton Lake State Park.
- Sept. 7-8: Sean, Upstream, Orange Sky, Stanley Lucas, Thalamus Flynt, Lonesome Houndogs, Boujou, Gerald Trimble, Brent Berry and the Secondhands, Subway Mind, Einstein Electric, 4 p.m.-midnight Sept. 7 and noon-midnight Sept. 8.
749-1912. 644 Mass.
- Sept. 7: Hank Thompson & his Brazos Valley Boys, Ricky Dean Sinatra's Round Up Jubilee.
Ameristar Casino Hotel
(816) 414-7700. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 7: Chris Cagle.
Kansas City Music Hall
(816) 471-0400. Lyric Theatre, 11th and Central streets, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 6-7: Eroica Trio.
The Madrid Theatre
(816) 753-8880. 3810 and Main, Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Ballroom and salsa dancing.
- Sept. 8: Marilyn Maye.
Downtown Kansas City.
- Sept. 10: The Jeff Hamilton Trio, 7 p.m.
(816) 931-3330. 4600 Starlight Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 6: Charlotte Church.
- Sept. 7: Lorrie Morgan, Sammy Kershaw.
- Sept. 8: Air Supply, Ambrosia.
- Sept. 9: Tony Bennett, k.d. lang.
St. JOSEPH, Mo.
Holiday Inn Ballroom
- Sept. 8: The Jeff Jamilton Trio, 7:30 p.m.
William Jewell Fine Arts
(816) 781-8250. Performances at 8 p.m. at the Music Hall, 301 W. 13th St., or the Folly Theater, 300 W. 12th St., both in Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 11: American Ballet Theatre, 7:30 p.m.
Kansas City Ballet
Midland Theatre, 1228 Main, Kansas City, Mo., unless otherwise noted. Ticket office, (816) 931-3330; information, (816) 931-2232.
- Sept. 8: Ballet in the Park, noon, Crown Center Pavilion, 2450 Grand, Kansas City, Mo.
Dale Easton Apple Valley Theater
(888) 634-4219 or (785) 876-2114. Near Lake Perry.
- Fridays: "Toby Saves The Farm," 8:30 p.m., through Sept. 14.
- Saturdays: "The Drunkard," 8:30 p.m, through Sept. 29.
American Heartland Theatre Co.
(816) 842-9999. Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Performance times vary. Show times: 8 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Solitary Confinement," Sept. 7-Oct. 21.
The Lighten Up Playhouse
(816) 474-4386. 323 W. Eighth St. in Lucas Place, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Play it By Ear!" 7:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "Ultimate Yard Sale," 10 p.m. Fridays.
- "Outside the Lines," 10 p.m. Saturdays.
Missouri Repertory Theatre
(816) 235-2700. Center for the Performing Arts, 50th and Cherry streets, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 8 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Philadelphia Story," Sept. 7-30.
(816) 531-PLAY, ext. 10. 3828 Main St., Kansas City, Mo. Shows begin at 8 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Laramie Project," through Sept. 16.
Topeka Civic Theatre
Box office, (785) 357-5211. Dinner and non-dinner seating. Box office, Gage and S.W. Eighth streets. Performance times are 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays; 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays, with dinner starting at 6 p.m.; and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Odd Couple," Sept. 8-22.
Helen Hocker Center for the Performing Arts
(785) 273-1191. 215 S.E. Seventh St. Performances at 8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
- "Once On This Island," 8 p.m. Sept. 7-8 and 2:30 p.m. Sept. 9.
- Sept. 9: Ice cream social, 5 p.m.-7 p.m., gym and grounds.
Fall Arts & Crafts Festival
- Sept. 9: Various arts and crafts and foods, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
843-4933. 1204 Oread Ave.
- Sept. 12: The Selling of the University Part III.
842-3883. 11th Street and Vermont.
- Homegrown and baked foods, 4 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 6:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
- Sept. 10: Pat Flynn, metalsmith.
Haskell Indian Nations
- Sept. 8-9: Haskell Indian Market, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 8 and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 9.
Kansas University Student
- Sept. 8: Taylor Mason, 8 p.m., Kansas Union Ballroom.
Kaw Valley Quilters' Guild
- Sept. 8-9: Kaw Valley Quilter's Guild Show, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 8 and noon-4 p.m. Sept. 9, Community Building, 115 W. 11th St.
Lawrence Public Library
843-3833. 707 Vt. Open 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
- Tuesdays:" Bookworms Unite!" book club for 8- to 12-year-olds, 4 p.m.-5 p.m. Registration required.
Mt. Oread Book Shop
864-4431. Kansas Union.
- Sept. 6: Michael H. Crawford, book signing, 3 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 13: Thomas Fox Averill, book signing, 4 p.m.-5 p.m.
The Raven Bookstore
749-3300. 6 E. Seventh St.
- Sept. 12: Whitney Terrell, book signing, 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
Ameristar Casino Hotel
(816) 414-7000. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo.
- Sundays: Swing dance, with Dave Stephens, 2 p.m.
8700 Shawnee Mission Pkwy., Merriam.
- Sept. 6-8: Kids' Book Sale, 4 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Sept. 6; 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Sept. 7; and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 8.
- Sept. 9: "Korea -- The Forgotten War," 2 p.m.
Blue Valley Library
(913) 495-3850. 900 W. 151st St., Overland Park.
- Sept. 11: "ADD and the Mind/Body Connection," 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Sept. 13: Home School Night, 7:30 p.m.
Central Resource Library
9875 W. 87th St., Overland Park.
- Sept. 10: "War Time Memories," 2 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Sept. 13: Internet Instruction, 7 p.m.
2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Titantic: The Exhibition," through Sept. 9.
- "Still More Things People Collect," through Sept. 9.
- CowParade, through Sept. 14.
- Sept. 12: "At the Plate with the Royals," noon-1 p.m.
(913) 894-6440. 11554 W. 95th St. Overland Park.
- Sept. 10: Pat Kirtley, acoustic guitar workshop, 7 p.m.
Kansas City Public Libraries
Aregentine Branch, 2800 Metroplitan Ave., Kansas City , Kan., (913) 722-7400, Main Branch, 625 Minnesota Ave., Kansas City, Kan., (913) 551-3280, West Wyandotte Branch, 1737 N. 82nd St., Kansas City, Kan., (913) 596-5800.
- Sept. 11: Carol Dark Ayres, 7 p.m., West Wyandotte branch.
- Sept. 11: "Citizen Kane," film, 6 p.m., main branch.
Johnson County Community College
12345 College Blvd., Overland Park.
- Sept. 12: Carl Brashear, 11 a.m., 233 GEB.
Johnson County Library
(913) 261-2330. 8700 Shawnee Mission Pkwy.
- Sept. 6-8: Kids' Book Sale, 4 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Sept. 6, 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Sept. 7 and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 8.
Kansas City Zoo
(816) 513-5700. Call (816) 513-IMAX for theater information. Open daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- "Nocturnal Safaris," through Sept. 29.
- "White Alligators," through Sept. 30, IMAX.
(913) 341-2272. 1800 Genessee, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept. 6-9: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, circus. Wed.-Fri., 7:30 p.m. Sept. 6-7; 11:30 a.m., 3:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. Sept. 8; 1 p.m., 5 p.m. Sept. 9.
Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park, 87th Street Parkway and Lackman Road, Lenexa.
- Sept. 8: Various activities, food and musical entertainment, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Trinity United Methodist Church
620 E. Armour Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Sept 10: Four Freedoms Community Forum, 7:30 p.m.
30 W. Pershing Road; located at the corner of Pershing Road and Main Street, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 460-2020.
- "Racecar: Science of Speed," through Oct. 14.
- Kansas City's Cow Parade, through Sept. 14.
- "Titanic: The Exhibition," through Sept. 9.
Kansas State Historical
(785) 272-8681. 6425 S.W. Sixth St.
- Sept. 6: Carol Dark Ayes, author, 7:30 p.m.
(785) 272-5821. 635 S.W. Gage Blvd. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
- Mini train and carousel, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
(785) 585-3106. 33145 W. 83rd St.
- Sept. 7: Very Basic Genealogy, 2 p.m.-3 p.m.
- Sept. 12: Book Discussion Group, 2 p.m.
The Kansas Coliseum
1229 E. 85th Street North.
- Sept. 8-9: Kansas Paint Horse Futurity, 8 a.m.
Kansas State Fair
2000 North Poplar.
- Sept 8: Sawyer Brown, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 10: Jennifer Knapp, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 11: Blessid Union of Souls & Dreams, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 12: Statler Brothers, Tara Lynn, 7 p.m.
The Mound City Historical Society
- Sept. 8: "Freedom From Slavery," walking tours, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Walnut Valley Assn.
- Sept. 13-16: Walnut Valley Festival.
Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art
864-4710. On Mississippi Street west of the Kansas Union on the Kansas University campus. Comprehensive museum with paintings, sculpture, graphics and textiles. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays; and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays.
- "Charles Marshall: Artist on Site," through Sept. 9.
- "Sum of the Parts: Recent Works on Paper," through Sept. 9.
- "American Indian Art," Sept. 8-Nov. 3.
Kenneth Spencer Research Library
Behind Strong Hall on Poplar Lane, KU campus. Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, and noon-4 p.m. Saturdays (Kansas Collection and Special Collections only).
- "John Gould: Birds and Beasts," through early October.
Kansas University Natural History Museum
864-4540 or 864-4450. On Jayhawk Blvd. on KU campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
Museum of Anthropology
864-4245. Spooner Hall on KU campus. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- 13th Annual Lawrence Indian Arts Show, Sept. 8-Oct. 21. Benefit opening Sept. 6, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Clyde W. Tombaugh
864-3166. 500 Lindley Hall. Open to the public for observations on the second and fourth Sunday nights of each month, if skies are clear, 8 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Watkins Community Museum of History
841-4109. 1047 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays. Hands-on history room for children, call for hours.
- "Woman Who Pulls Teeth: Dr. Lucy Hobbs Taylor, First woman Doctor of Dental Surgery."
- "Underground Railroad in Douglas County, Kansas."
- "The Basketball Man: Dr. James Naismith."
- Kaw Valley Quilter's Guild Show, through Sept. 9.
Clinton Lake Museum
(785) 748-0800. Route 5. Hours: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays and by appointment.
- "Clinton Lake Communities: The First 20 Years, 1854-1874."
- "The Underground Railroad."
- "The J.C. Steele House."
Combat Air Museum
(913) 862-3303. Public aviation museum at Forbes Field. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays.
Heartland Orthodox Christian Museum
(785) 234-5993. 523 SW Van Buren.
- "Spiritual Treasures of Czarist Russia: Holy Russian Icons, 1660-1917," through Oct. 31.
Kansas Museum of History
(785) 272-8681. 6425 S.W. Sixth St. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Kansas History Center Nature Trail, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- "From Gems to Gimcracks, The Discovery Place," hands-on gallery for children, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. daily.
Mulvane Art Museum
(785) 231-1124. 17th and Jewell streets on the Washburn University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Outdoor Art Exhibition.
- "Different Realities," works by Robert Brawley, Randall Exon and John Kuhn, through Sept. 30.
Ward Meade House
(913) 235-0806. 124 N. Fillmore. Victorian house, log cabin, old school and botanical gardens, with tours and crafts shop. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
(913) 887-6520. National Landmark, Kansas HIstoric Site. 319 Elmore. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Bleeding Kansas exhibits. Free.
Territorial Capital Museum
(913) 887-6148. National Historic Registrar Site, near downtown Lecompton. Exhibits about territorial Kansas. Hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
Coal Creek Library
Eight miles south of Lawrence on Douglas County Road 1055, east on Douglas County Road 460. Established Nov. 22, 1859. Hours: noon-4 p.m. Sundays, April through October. Area historical information. For appointment, call (913) 594-3960.
Old Jefferson Town
(785) 863-2070. Hours: 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-5 p.m. Sunday and Monday evenings through November. Collection of vintage buildings, including John Steuart Curry boyhood home, a bow string bridge, wind wagon sculpture, windmill, bell tower and five acres of native grass and wildflowers. Group tours by appointment.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
(816) 561-4000. 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Comprehensive art museum. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Sept. 7: Electromediascope, 7 p.m., Atkins Auditorium.
Hallmark Visitors Center
(816) 274-3613. Crown Center, 25th and McGee streets, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays; 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays and most holidays. Free admission, wheelchair accessible. Reservations required for groups of 10 or more.
- Creative and Hallmark Keepsake Ornament exhibit.
- J.C. Hall Christmas Trees, year-round.
Johnson County Museum
(913) 631-6709. 6305 Lackman, Shawnee. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Free admission.
- "Cold War: Promise and Fear in the 1950s," through Dec. 30.
- "Seeking the Good Life" and "1950s All-Electric House," ongoing.
Kansas City Museum
(816) 483-8300. 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Exhibits also at Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St.
- Fridays-Sundays: "The Truth Is Out There," ongoing.
The Kemper Museum
of Contemporary Art
4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Oct. 7.
- "Picture This: Permanent Collect Photography," through Oct. 7.
Toy and Miniature Museum
(816) 333-9328. 5235 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Saturdays: "The Great Mystery" puppet shows, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.; River and Prairie Storyweavers, 1 p.m.
- Snoopy and Peanuts memorabilia, through Oct. 27.
Union Station-Science City
Pershing Road and Main Street, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, with extended hours to 8 p.m. Thursdays.
- "Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets," 11:15 a.m., 2:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:45 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
- "Titanic," through Sept. 9.
- "Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure," film.
- "Oasis in Space,"1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays and Sundays and 10:45 a.m., 1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays.
- "After Hours," with the McFadden Brothers, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "True Colors," 10 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:15 p.m. , 4:45 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon, 12:45 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Sunday.
- "Sky Quest," 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays, 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, and 11:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Fridays.
- "Good Vibrations," 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Sunday.
- "Mark Twain's America," 10 a.m., 1:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.a nd 5:15 p.m. Sundays.
- "Encounter the Third Dimension," 5:30 p.m. Saturdays.
- "Challenger Learning Center's Rendezvous With a Comet," Family Missions, 11 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 2:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday.
- "Mysteries of Egypt," "Encounter in the Third Dimension," "Mark Twain's America," "Sky Quest."
- "Pink Floyd's The Wall," 10:15 p.m., 11 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- Laser Shows, "Laser Magic," "Laser Retro," "Laser Beatles," "Laseropolis."
- "Rendezvous with a Comet," 11 a.m., 12:15 a.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m., Wednesdays-Sundays.
- "Magic of Flight," 12:15 a.m., 3:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m.Mondays-Thursdays, 12:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m Fridays-Saturdays, noon, 3:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sundays.
- "PopMania," 6:15 p.m. daily.
- "Union Station Stories" exhibit, 6 a.m.-midnight daily, show 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Fridays, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Union Station tours, 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 11:15 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 4:45 p.m. and 5:15 Fridays-Saturdays, and 12:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Sundays.
Harry S. Truman Library
(816) 833-1400. U.S. Highway 24 and Delaware Street.
- Exhibition of Truman's high school theme books.
- "Restoring the White House, 1948-1952: Photographs by Abbie Rowe."
Old Mill Museum and Park
(785) 227-3595. 120 Mill St.
- "What Mother Did, I Did Too: Kansas Quilt Traditions," through Sept. 12.
Dane G. Hansen Memorial
(785) 689-4846. 110 W. Main. Hours: 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Sunlight and Shadow: 1885-1945," through Oct. 21.
Beach Museum of Art
(785) 532-7718. On the Kansas State University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays, with extended hours to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "Taking Root: The Art of Patricia Duncan," through Sept. 16.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Sept. 23.
Old Depot Museum
(785) 242-1250. 135 W. Tecumseh. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "Vanishing Towns/Vanishing Values," through Oct. 3.
- "Rails, Trails and Prairie Tales," plus H-O model trains and period rooms, ongoing.
- "Ottawa Newsreels 1937-1938-1939," films.
ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
2818 Frederick Blvd. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Works of Bill and Susan Tinker, through Sept. 9.
- Works of Kelly Johnson and Shirley Harryman, through Sept. 9.
Wichita State University Edwin A. Ulrich Museum
(316) 978-3664. WSU campus. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Photographs by Gordon Parks.
Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
(316) 265-9314. 204 S. Main. Hours; 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "Glamour Gowns -- Very Velvet."
Art and Design Gallery
Art and Design Building, KU campus. Hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Fridays, 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Closed Saturdays and holidays.
- Jewelry by Carlyle Smith, Sept. 9-21.
The Art Cornerstone
843-4750. 925 Iowa.
- Charles McGuyer, mixed media, watercolors, graphite drawings, through Sept. 15.
Artframes Gallery and
Artforms Sculpture Garden
842-1991. 912 Ill. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays or by appointment.
Back to the Garden
749-3109. 619 N. Second St., one block north of Kansas River bridge. Works by Celestial Ironworks and other unique art for house and garden.
Back to the Garden
1017 Mass. (second location). Works by Celestial Ironworks and other unique art for house and garden.
Blackbird Trading Post
841-1498. 1011 1/2 Mass. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. six days a week, except closed on Tuesdays. Art, antiques, unusual treasures.
- Works by Gotfred Beardshear.
749-0200. 846 Pa. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays.
- Contemporary fine crafts by national and local artists, including ceramics, metal, wood, jewelry and furniture.
Celia Smith Studio
843-8417. 907 W. 27th Terrace. Hours: By appointment only.
- Symbolic and narrative paintings; holistic portraits, prints and cards.
Creative Hand Studio
832-9413. 2504 Westdale Road. Call for an appointment.
- Original art by Barbara Jarvis, including paintings, collages, wall designs, borders, art arrangement and hanging.
Diana Dunkley at Studio 3D
842-2858. 1019 Del. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diverse work in many media, including transparent watercolor figures and landscapes, abstract and allegorical metallic watercolors, monotypes, sculpture. Sometimes featuring work by other regional and international artists. Call for more information.
Kristin Dempsey Portraiture and Fine Art Studio
749-3368 or (800) 640-1230, code 01. 1804 Ill. Call for appointment. Web sites: www.dempseyportraits.com; www.kristindempsey.com.
- Pencil, charcoal and oil portraiture, including pets; oil paintings; limited prints, note cards, commercial illustration.
841-2254. 416 E. Ninth St.
- Original quilts by Fran Beier, through early October.
749-0430. 625 Walnut. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Imported African and Asian art. Call before visiting.