Archive for Sunday, October 28, 2001


October 28, 2001


Kansas came out wearing white jerseys and white pants. Customarily, the Jayhawks' road ensemble consists of white tops and blue pants. It may be a coincidence, but Colorado wore all white uniforms when the Buffaloes toppled Kansas State, 16-6, earlier this month at KSU Stadium.

Kansas brought 68 players to Manhattan, including five true freshmen running back Marshell Chiles, linebacker Banks Floodman, kicker Johnny Beck, wide receiver Brandon Rideau and linebacker Jeff Mulholland.

K-State won the coin toss and deferred to the second half, but KU goofed and elected to kick off and KSU took the wind. "One of our captains got mixed up," Allen said, adding the mistake made no difference in the outcome. Because of the gaffe, the Jayhawks also had to kick off to start the second half, but at least they had the wind.

Kansas began the season with a no-huddle offense, but began using partial huddles last week against Missouri. On Saturday, the Jayhawks used full huddles. "We tried to slow the game down a little bit," Allen said, noting the Jayhawks maintained control of the ball for four minutes more than K-State in the first half. KSU, however, maintained possession twice as long as the Jayhawks in the second half.

KU freshman Johnny Beck nailed a 42-yard field goal attempt in the first half, but he also missed from 37 and 42 yards. Then Beck drilled a 37-yarder with 1:30 remaining in the third quarter. Beck, who made 10 of his first 11 attempts this season, has now missed four of his last seven.

Kansas State kicker Joe Rheem had his troubles, too. Rheem didn't attempt any field goals, but twice he nailed the right upright on extra-point attempts.

Carl Ivey's interception of a Mark Dunn pass early in the second quarter was the fourth of the KU sophomore cornerback's career. His first three came in games against Missouri.

The stats won't show Dan Coke threw a pass, but the KU reserve tailback did midway through the second quarter. Coke's aerial, intended for wide receiver Termaine Fulton, was erased when KSU was whistled for pass interference.

KU defensive ends Travis Watkins and Charlie Dennis, both Derby products, teamed on an interception late in the third quarter. Watkins tipped a Dunn pass and Dennis made a leaping theft of the fluttering ball.

Of the handful of KU players hurt in last week's Missouri game, the only one who didn't play was sophomore wide receiver Derick Mills (ankle).

Kansas suffered no serious injuries Saturday, but Allen said it appears wide receiver Harrison Hill, who suffered a shoulder separation in the UCLA game, will be lost for the rest of the season. "It looks like it's headed more and more in that direction," said Allen, who added it was likely Hill would apply for a sixth year of eligibility.

Kansas wasted a golden opportunity in the fourth quarter when the Jayhawks had first-and-goal at the KSU 2, but couldn't score. After a Reggie Duncan rush lost six yards, Mario Kinsey threw three straight incompletions.

Half of KU's eight penalties were offside calls against the defense, which had difficulty deciphering the KSU snap count. KU also had a couple of personal foul flags.

Strong safety Jake Letourneau led the Jayhawks with 10 tackles. Outside linebacker Algie Atkinson had nine, including a sack. End David McMillan was also credited with a sack.

KU's total offense (212 yards) and rushing (47 yards) were season lows.

Adrian Jones's four-yard reception in the fourth quarter was the first by a KU tight end this season.

Kickoff temperature was 57 degrees under bright sunny skies. The wind was 16 to 20 mph out of the south.

Jon Bible of Austin, Texas, was the referee in charge of the Big 12 Conference officiating crew.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.