Organizer of Cole attack said to be in Afghanistan
The man who allegedly organized last year's attack on the destroyer USS Cole has taken refuge in Afghanistan, an Interior Ministry official said Thursday.
The Yemeni government identified Mohammed Omar al-Harazi, a Yemeni citizen, as a leading suspect in March.
U.S. and Yemeni investigators have concluded al-Harazi is in Afghanistan, the government-run military newspaper reported.
Student stabbed to death in art class
A 19-year-old man burst into a high school art class Thursday in central Sweden and stabbed two students, killing one and seriously wounding the other, police said.
The suspect, a Ukrainian immigrant, turned himself in to police two hours after the 11 a.m. attack at the Vaestermalms school in Sundsvall, 220 miles north of Stockholm. His name was not released.
He was to face charges of murder and attempted murder at a hearing today, police spokesman Sten Wiklander said. He said it was not clear whether the suspect was a student at the school.
The victims, both Swedes, were taken to a hospital, where one an 18-year-old woman died several hours later. The other, a 19-year-old man, underwent surgery for chest and stomach injuries, hospital officials said.
Fighting in Kashmir claims 12 lives
Islamic militants stepped up attacks on Indian security forces in Kashmir, with gunbattles and land mine explosions Thursday claiming 12 lives, authorities said.
Three soldiers and two militants were killed when guerrillas ambushed an army convoy near the Banihal pass on the highway connecting the winter capital of Jammu-Kashmir state with the summer capital.
Two soldiers were killed and three others injured in another ambush near Naugam, 125 miles north of Jammu.
Two children were reported killed in Poonch, near the India-Pakistan border.
Separately, two militants died in a gunbattle in Marmat, 105 miles northeast of Jammu.
Two sentenced for roles in militant network
A French court sentenced two men to prison Thursday for distributing false identification documents for an international support network for Islamic militants.
Said Atmani and Zoheir Choulah, both former Mujahedeen fighters in Bosnia, were sentenced to terms of five and four years, respectively, and banned from French territory after their terms have been served.
Atmani, a 34-year-old Moroccan, and Choulah, a 28-year-old Algerian, were convicted in absentia in April for their roles in a network extending from Turkey to Canada that provided false passports and other documents to radicals.