Archive for Sunday, October 7, 2001

Tigers come back, outlast Cowboys in three overtimes - Missouri 41, Oklahoma State 38, 3OT

October 7, 2001


— Trailing 14-0 in the first half and struggling on offense, Missouri appeared headed for a long night. It wound up being one for Oklahoma State instead.

Missouri scored on five straight possessions to take a 28-14 lead, saw Oklahoma State rally to force overtime before the Tigers kicked a field goal in the third OT to win 41-38 Saturday night.

"We just had to keep fighting and fighting and fighting and we made some plays at the end," coach Gary Pinkel said.

Brad Hammerich's fourth field goal, a 36-yarder, gave Missouri (2-2, 1-1 Big 12) the victory after the Tigers had blocked a 39-yard field goal try by OSU's Luke Phillips. Missouri ran three plays up the middle from the 25 before Pinkel sent Hammerich out.

Oklahoma State (2-3, 0-2) had forced the overtime with two fourth-quarter touchdowns, the second in the final minute. But the Cowboys sputtered with their third overtime possession, throwing two incompletions and being flagged for illegal procedure before Phillips' kick was blocked.

"We had an opportunity to finish them earlier in the game and did not," OSU coach Les Miles said. "They came back out after halftime and got right back in the game."

Kirk Farmer rallied MU from the two-touchdown deficit by throwing three touchdown passes in the third quarter. He wound up 20-of-33 for a career-best 247 yards. His favorite target was Justin Gage, who had 12 catches for 113 yards, both career bests, and a TD.

Zain Gilmore had 107 yards rushing for the Tigers.

Missouri, which entered the game ranked last in the conference in total offense, had 380 yards in regulation, 120 above its average, and finished with 424.

Oklahoma State scored early in the fourth quarter to get within 28-21, then forced overtime when Aso Pogi hit Rashaun Woods with a 21-yard touchdown pass on a fourth-and-6 play with 25 seconds left.

Each team needed only four plays to score in the first overtime, with Pogi sneaking in from a yard out for OSU and Zack Abron following with a 3-yard run for MU. Each defense held the other offense to a field goal in the second overtime.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.