Archive for Saturday, March 10, 2001

Shooting case ends in suicide

Father kills three, including self

March 10, 2001


— A retired Navy man shot and killed his former girlfriend and her mother Friday outside a courthouse following a child visitation hearing, then killed himself in a hotel room after a three-hour standoff with police.

Michael Angelo Hill, 45, shot Tressa Fisher, 30, and her mother, Thelma Fisher, 72, several times with a handgun after he was granted a two-day visit with his daughter during a morning court hearing, police spokesman Don Aaron said.

Hill then fled in his car to a hotel 10 miles away, where police found him five hours later. They evacuated most of the hotel and began negotiating with Hill by telephone.

Aaron said Hill was emotional during the negotiations and after more than three hours, it appeared he would surrender.

"He looked like he was going to come out. He came to window and then negotiations broke down," Aaron said.

Aaron said Hill made calls to his hometown of Virginia Beach, Va., where his 14-year-old son lives, and to his sister in Germany.

"He essentially said he had reached his limit," Aaron said, saying police traced the calls and confirmed what Hill said.

"He said he had killed the mother and the grandmother of his child, and he said goodbye," Aaron said. Hill had a gunshot wound to his head, Aaron said.

Witnesses outside the courthouse told police Hill reloaded his gun and shot the women again as they lay in the parking lot.

The couple's 3-year-old daughter, Taylor, was not present. Authorities spent three hours calling day care centers until the child was found and placed in state custody.

Hill and the two women had attended the hearing. The girl's mother had custody of the girl, and Hill complained that the mother was not cooperating on visitation.

Judge Betty Adams Green said she reworked the visitation order to allow Hill a two-day visit with his child, on Friday afternoon and Saturday, before he returned to his home in Virginia Beach, Va.

The judge said Hill was upset that his former girlfriend had refused to give him her address, giving him her mother's address instead, but "there was nothing in the courtroom to indicate that there would be any violence."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.