Four Lawrence High baton twirlers had returned from a week's course at Oklahoma University where they won a number of awards. They were Nancy Edwards, Margaret LaRue, Jane Lindley and Land Darrow.
Thirteen thousands refund checks were to be mailed by the first of the month to about 9,000 Lawrencians who have used natural gas in their homes or businesses since November of 1956.
On June 28, 1901, the Lawrence Journal told of plans by Albert Henley to improve Central (now Watson) park. The Journal reported: "It is proposed to build a dam across the ravine near Pinckney street, the rustic bridge will be replaced in about the former location, and a fountain will be constructed in the park."