Mr. Carson died Thursday, Oct. 12, 2000, at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
He was born May 8, 1910, in Chanute, the son of William Edmund and Pearl Ann (White) Carson. He attended Kansas City, Kan., public schools, Kansas University, St. Benedict's College and earned a bachelor's degree from Oklahoma University. He received a law degree from the University of Missouri, Kansas City, in 1936. He practiced law for 44 years. He was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity at Oklahoma University, and Phi Alpha Delta legal fraternity at the University of Missouri, Kansas City. He lived in Wyandotte County and Johnson County until May 1980 when he moved to Tucson, Ariz.
Mr. Carson was past president of Eastern Kansas Estate Planning Council; Wyandotte County Bar Assn.; Terrace Club, Kansas City, Kan.; Oklahoma University Alumni Assn.; Rod and Gun Club, Kansas City, Kan.; and Missouri-Kansas Chapter Rainbow Division of the Veteran's Assn.
He served on the board of directors for Bethany Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan.; Girl Scouts; and Chamber of Commerce. He was chairman of the board for the Soldier's and Sailor's Memorial Building.
He was a member of American Bar Assn.; Kansas Bar Assn.; American Trial Lawyers; Wyandotte County Bar; Roger E. Sherman Masonic Lodge; American Legion Post No. 83; 40 and 8 Society; Forty Year Ago Column Club; and Garden of the Gods Club.
A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served in the 42nd Infantry (Rainbow) Division, the 392nd Field Artillery Battalion in the European theaters. He received three battle stars.
He married Dorothy Lee Ofdenkamp on Aug. 29, 1936, in Kansas City, Kan. She survives of the home.
Other survivors include a son, John William, Tucson, Ariz.; two daughters, Kay Ellen Carson, Lawrence, and Susan Falk, Independence, Mo.; and two grandchildren.
Two grandchildren died earlier.
Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home, Lawrence, was in charge of arrangements.