Archive for Sunday, July 15, 2001

Nation Briefs

July 15, 2001


North Carolina: Ammunition ship catches fire

A ship loaded with 2,800 tons of explosives caught fire Saturday at an Army terminal on the Cape Fear River.

About 40 crew members were on deck when the fire started in the engine room, the depot's commander said. No casualties had been reported, but it wasn't clear how many of the crew had been accounted for.

The Coast Guard told WWAY-TV that one person jumped ship when the fire broke out and remained missing.

The fire was still burning at 10 p.m., but no ammunition had caught fire, said Col. Ron Heiter, commander of the Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal in Southport. He said he didn't expect the blaze to reach the ammunition.

Michigan: Three killed in blast at chemical factory

A railcar exploded and sparked off a fire Saturday at a chemical factory, killing three employees and injuring at least nine.

Hundreds of homes were evacuated after the explosion at the ATOFINA Chemicals Inc. plant in Riverview.

The victims were employees Edwin J. Wrobleski, 47; Kenneth J. Cox, 56; and Terry Stein, 41, authorities said.

The railcar containing a dangerous chemical exploded about 4:30 a.m. at the factory, Potier said.

By noon, the fire was under control. Hazardous material specialists were en route from Texas to clean up the chemicals.

Georgia: Three dead at Home Depot

A former employee of a Home Depot store chased his ex-girlfriend into the store Saturday, killing her and another woman before killing himself after police arrived, authorities said.

A third person was wounded by gunfire.

Brandon Bolton, 22, and 20-year-old Lisa Atkins, had worked at the Home Depot in Morrow, about 15 miles south of downtown Atlanta.

Friends of Atkins said Bolton was obsessed with her and angry about their breakup.

No customers were involved, although some may have witnessed the shooting at about 8 a.m., just as the store was opening for the day.

Atkins was shot multiple times, including at least once in the head, Jewett said. Tiffany Busch, 27, was shot in the head and died in surgery.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.