The Journal-World put John Harrison's taste buds to the test while he visited Lawrence.
Harrison tasted three flavors of ice cream from Sylas & Maddy's Home Made Ice Cream, 1014 Mass., and two flavors of custard offered by The Custard Cup, 520 W. 23rd St.
1. Da Bomb (vanilla ice cream with Oreos, chocolate flakes and cookie dough), Sylas & Maddy's: "It's creamy, thicker, denser."
2. Graduation Day (vanilla ice cream with cashews, caramel and brownies), Sylas & Maddy's: "Very nice. Good cashew pieces, good flavor."
3. Banana Nut Bread (vanilla ice cream with walnuts and banana bread), Sylas & Maddy's: "It's fun, sure. The first two (flavors) are a little more serious."
4. Very Berry (vanilla custard with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries), The Custard Cup: "Good you get that custard note immediately."
5. Turtle Bliss (vanilla custard with caramel, pecans and fudge), The Custard Cup: "It's good, for (something with) that name."