Archive for Monday, January 29, 2001

Lawrence Briefs

January 29, 2001


Corps of Engineers seeks lake volunteers

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is looking for people interested in working outdoors and enjoying nature to volunteer at lakes around the country.

Possible duties for volunteers include serving as campground hosts, staffing visitor centers, conducting programs, cleaning shorelines and restoring fish and wildlife habitat.

Prospective volunteers can contact the Army Corps of Engineers Volunteer Clearinghouse at (800) 865-8337.

Among area lakes the corps operates are Clinton Lake and Perry Lake.

Rental loans available

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is providing nearly $100 million in guaranteed loan funds to construct approximately 2,900 rural rental homes to help lower-income residents.

Under the Guaranteed Rural Rental Housing Program, USDA provides loan guarantees of up to 90 percent of the total development cost of multifamily housing complexes in rural areas. The lenders must provide the loans for the construction.

Program applications and procedures were published in the Dec. 26, 2000, Federal Register. Interested lenders will be allowed to submit applications each third Thursday of the month through Aug. 16, or until funds are exhausted.

For more information call (202) 720-4323.

High school students eligible for summer camp

High school sophomores and juniors are eligible for the Upward Bound Math & Science summer camp at Northwest Missouri State University.

The six-week summer camp is a hands-on learning experience for any student whose family income is moderately low, or if the student is a potential first-generation college student, or both.

Applicants should be interested in math, science or computer-related careers after college, and need to have taken and passed college preparatory math and science classes each year of high school.

Applications are available online at, and from high school counselors, and must be postmarked by Jan. 31.

For more information, call (660) 562-1632 or (660) 562-1538.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.