The new bakery designed to serve all the Dillon food stores in the Lawrence region was due to begin operation at 1011 N.H.
On Dec. 11, 1901, the Lawrence Journal editorialized about the best site for the Douglas County Courthouse. "The plan that has been suggested of locating the new court house on the site of the present city building (northwest corner of Eighth and Vermont streets) was brought up at the meeting of the Commercial Club last night and met with practically unanimous endorsement. The plan is not only practical, but it is the best yet suggested. It would be a saving as well as convenience to both city and country to have the public building so placed and constructed that it would meet the requirements of both city and county, and at the same time be in a location easily accessible." Despite this ringing endorsement, the court house would be located on the southeast corner of 11th and Massachusetts streets.