Archive for Sunday, December 9, 2001

Kansas women upended by Weber State, 51-48

December 9, 2001


Selena Scott thought she was on the same page, but the bookmark must have slipped out.

Scott, a Kansas University senior guard, shot a two-point goal at the buzzer when the Jayhawks needed a three, and Weber State escaped with a 51-48 women's basketball victory on Saturday afternoon in Allen Fieldhouse.

"Selena completely forgot what we were trying to do," KU coach Marian Washington said afterward. "She's pretty upset about it."

Kansas lagged by three when Washington called time to diagram a play with :04.6 on the clock. The plan was to put the ball in the hands of KC Hilgenkamp for a tie-or-lose three-point attempt.

Instead, Scott took Blair Waltz's inbounds pass, dribbled, drove down the lane and launched a six-footer that bounced off the back of the rim as time expired.

"I thought we were down by two," said Scott, who led the Jayhawks with 16 points. "It seemed like the play wasn't going right, and I just panicked, I guess."

Hilgenkamp couldn't fault her backcourt teammate.

"People are going to make mistakes," said Hilgenkamp, the only other Jayhawk who scored in double figures (11). "I have a lot of confidence in Selena."

Kansas seemed to be bridled in confidence early. Playing the first of only three games on live television this season, the Jayhawks bolted to an 11-0 lead against the stunned Wildcats. But Weber State didn't fold, forged a 26-26 halftime deadlock, then dropped an 11-0 jolt of their own on the Jayhawks to open the second half.

However, Kansas answered with a 12-0 run of its own to climb back into it and set the stage for an intense stretch run.

Scott's nifty driving layup gave KU a 48-47 lead with 2:37 remaining. Then with just under a minute remaining, Weber State appeared to be in trouble. The 'Cats had a midcourt throw-in with only three seconds showing on the shot clock.

Stephanie Stanger took the pass at the top of the free throw circle, started to shoot, then stopped as Hilgenkamp flashed past her, reloaded and launched a three-point attempt as the clock shot sounded.


"It was kind of a broken shot," said Stanger, who led the Ogden, Utah, school with 17 points. "It came to me and that's a position I like to be in."

Washington lamented that Hilgenkamp had gone for the steal instead of defending Stanger's shot that dropped with 51 ticks left.

"She went for the steal and didn't get it so the player was left wide open," Washington said. "Will she do that again? I don't know. But that hurt us, definitely."

Still, Kansas never would have been in those late nip-and-tuck positions if it hadn't committed 26 turnovers and allowed Weber State, a team that had been blasted by 36 points at Nebraska on Thursday night, to collect 24 offensive rebounds.

"There's not a whole lot I can say," Washington said. "They made a gallant fight back. And our defense was a bright spot."

Kansas, 3-6, dropped its third straight. Next will be Wichita State here on Thursday night.

NOTES: Washington used only eight players Hilgenkamp played 38 minutes and Scott 35 because Keila Beacham and Brandi McGinest were serving a one-game suspension for violating team rules and Leila Mengc had suffered a sprained ankle during Friday's practice KU's 48 points were a season-low and the 26 turnovers were a season-high. Weber State, 4-4, snapped a three-game losing streak Saturday's attendance of 781 was KU's highest since opening day (821). KU's average crowd for four home dates is 766.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.