Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, August 23, 2001

Survivor’ winner charged in assault

August 23, 2001

Advertisement

— Former "Survivor" winner Richard Hatch pleaded innocent to a domestic assault charge after allegedly pushing a former partner who tried to force his way into Hatch's home.

Hatch went to the Newport County Courthouse on Tuesday to seek a restraining order against Glenn Boyanowski. While there, Hatch learned there was a warrant out for his arrest, so he turned himself in, said Hatch's attorney, Christopher Behan.

Hatch was released on $1,000 personal recognizance. Hatch, who is gay, also was granted a temporary restraining order against Boyanowski.

"He's taking it in stride," Behan said. "He's extremely disappointed, but I think he realizes that this guy is trying to take advantage of him."

Boyanowski told The Providence Journal in Wednesday's editions that "my version of the story is different than his." He would not elaborate.

Boyanowski has an unpublished phone number and could not be reached for comment Tuesday by The Associated Press.

Police would release few details of the incident, but Behan said it happened Monday on the front steps of Hatch's Middletown home.

Behan said Hatch pushed Boyanowski away when he tried to force his way inside.

"Richard's big mistake is he should have called police right off the bat," Behan said.

Hatch, 40, became a national celebrity last year after he won $1 million on the CBS television show "Survivor."

Hatch's next court appearance is Sept. 7.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.