Abe & Jake's Landing
841-5855. 8 E. Sixth St. (limited parking in Lawrence Riverfront Plaza) Abe & Jake's Pub open Tuesdays-Fridays, 4 p.m.-2 a.m.; Saturdays noon-2 a.m.
- Tuesdays: Singer-songwriter night.
- Thursdays: DJ Randy Foster.
- Aug. 24: Pomeroy.
- Aug. 25: Son Venezuela.
842-3415. 3408 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Thursdays: John Weatherwax and the Junk Yard Jazz, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
749-7699. 601 Kasold. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Ten pool tables, daily drink specials, Astros matches the pot for Sunday tournaments.
Bambino's Italian Cafe
832-8800. 1801 Mass. Music by acoustic singer-songwriters Thursday-Sunday nights.
- Aug. 25: Mike Roberts, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
The Blue Moon
841-1533. 1910 Haskell Ave. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Live music Friday nights.
841-5483. 737 N.H. Club with dance floor and live music, featuring local and out-of-town bands.
- Sundays: Smackdown Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m. Karaoke with Super Ton Ton, 11 p.m.
- Mondays: KJHK presents open mike night.
- Aug. 23: Neko Case and Her Boyfriends, Stephanie Hewett.
- Aug. 24: Nada Surf, Ozma, Sugar Bomb, Rilo Kiley.
- Aug. 25: The Urge.
- Aug. 26: The Appleseed Cast, Mates of State, Seven Mile Drive.
- Aug. 27: Will Hoge, Brand New Immortals, Arthur Dodge.
- Aug. 28: mi6, Ready, Chamber, Three Rivers Kennedy.
- Aug. 29: The Shins, The Busy Signals, The Times.
- Aug. 30: Ruskabank, O'Phil, Soul Machette.
Brown Bear Brewing Co.
331-4338. 729 Mass. Bands play 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. DJ Kilby, Monday and Friday nights. Lawrence Musicians Network hosted by Lonnie Fisher, Tuesday nights. Carol Dressler's Acoustic Showcase, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. first Saturday of the month.
- Thursdays: Karaoke.
- Aug. 30: No Lessons, Edge City Greene Project.
842-7030. Ramada Inn, 2222 W. Sixth St. Opens 4 p.m. daily.
- Tuesdays-Saturdays: Karaoke.
843-9690. 1803 W. Sixth St.
- Wednesdays and Fridays: Bingo, 7 p.m.
Flamingo Dance Academy
331-2227. 1117 Mass.
- Fridays: Retro night dance party, 8 p.m.-midnight.
- Sundays: Swing dance, 9 p.m.-1 a.m., with salsa and swing lessons from 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
842-1390. 1020 Mass. PUMP with DJ Scott Allen, Saturdays. Sub Surface, with DJ JJ Mesmer and Marcel Tempest, Mondays. Acoustic Lounge, High Fidelity, 8 p.m.-midnight. Tuesdays. Live local music, Wednesdays. Retro dance party, Thursdays. Ladies Night, Fridays. Pump-all new dance night, Saturdays.
841-1960. 1031 Mass. Hours: 2:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekdays and 1:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekends. Featuring live music Sundays and live jazz Wednesdays. Three pool tables.
- Aug. 26: Billy Ebeling, 10 p.m.-1 a.m.
Jack Flanigans Bar and Grill
749-HAWK. Just off 23rd Street behind McDonald's. Billiards, darts, foos-ball, NTN and TVs in every booth. DJ, Thursday-Saturday nights. Open 4 p.m. daily and 11 a.m. weekends. Soft Tip Dart League on Tuesdays. DM Goman's Dance Party on Thursdays, Flashback Fridays Retro Dance on Fridays, 105.9 Lazer Saturday Night Dance Party on Saturdays, Soprano Sundays Showtime 8 p.m. Sundays.
749-3320. 926 1/2 Mass. Live jazz, funk, electric blues and original rock. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. daily. Concert information, 749-1387. All shows start at 10 p.m.
- Aug. 23: Kristi Stremel.
- Aug. 24: Dave Zollo and the Body Electric.
- Aug. 25: Freelance Bishops.
- Aug. 29: Ready.
- Aug. 30: Sellout.
J.B. Stout's Grill & Bar
843-0704. 721 Wakarusa, in Wakarusa Plaza. Billiards and 27 TVs. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily.
842-0377. 401 N. Second St., across the Kansas bridge. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sundays. Cajun night every first and third Wednesdays of the month.
Kaspars Public House
843-9621. 3115 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Lawrence Dart League.
- Wednesdays: Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
- Aug. 24: The Lonesome Houndogs.
- Aug. 25: Karaoke with Scottie Mac.
- Aug. 27: Jess' Acoustic Monday.
- Aug. 29: Live Action Trivia.
842-8225. 2228 Iowa. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Nine billiard tables, dart league, big-screen television.
Pat's Blue Rib'N Barbecue
865-1618. 1618 W. 23rd St. Live music every Friday night. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. every day. NTN trivia.
The Pool Room
749-5039. Hillcrest Shopping Center, 925 Iowa. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Twenty-two billiard tables, seven TVs, videos. Weekly 8- 9- and 3-ball tournaments.
Raoul's Velvet Room
842-8200. 815 N.H.
- Aug. 25: The Sellouts, 10 p.m.
- Aug. 30: Gooding.
832-8228. 944 Mass. Darts, pool table, big-screen TVs. Celtic Jam Pub Night, 7 p.m. first Wednesday of every month. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-7676. 946 Mass. Pinball, video games, beer garden and occasional live music. Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Fridays and 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Saturday-Sundays.
- Aug. 26: Ol' Yeller.
749-5067. 623 Vt. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Darts, pool and shuffleboard. Live music every Saturday.
Harper Market Square on East 23rd St.
- Tuesdays: Open jam, 9 p.m.-midnight.
2907 W. Sixth. Pool tables. Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon to 2 a.m.-Saturdays Sundays.
Stu's Midtown Tavern
749-1666. 925 Iowa. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Two pool tables, four dart boards, Golden Tee 2002. Live music Friday and Saturday nights.
- First and third Wednesdays: Heads, Hands & Feat, 9 p.m.-midnight.
- Second Wednesdays: Eddie Haskell's Middle Finger.
- Aug. 24: Border Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Aug. 25: Straight Shot.
843-2078. 138 Ala.
- Thursdays: Bingo/pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
Bichelmeyer's Steakhouse Restaurant
(913) 369-2337. 427 E. Fourth St.
- Fridays: Tom Eversole on baby grand piano, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Live jazz, featuring Mr. Van's Jazz Band, 7 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
(913) 631-2591. Fourth and Main streets. Alcohol- and smoke-free environment.
- Saturdays: Branson-style country music, 7:30 p.m.-10 p.m.
B.B.'s Lawnside Bar-B-Q
(816) 822-7427. 1205 E. 85th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 25: Terence O'Malley, Jellyroll, Lester King & Royal Court, Neon Blue, Dan Bliss & Bluetonium, Linda Shell's Blues Thang, Four Fried Chicken & a Coke, 3 p.m.
- Aug. 26: Joy Riders, Big Slim's Full House Blues Band, Lonesome Hank & the Heartaches, Uptown Rulers, Frank Ace Blues Band, John Paul's Flying Circus, 3 p.m.
- Aug. 29: Jim Lundgren Randy Torgerson, 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Aug. 30: John Paul's Flying Circus, 8:30 p.m.-midnight.
The Beaumont Club
(816) 561-2668. 4050 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 25: Jamie O'Neal.
Big Daddy's Cajun Kitchen
(816) 471-3339. 112 E. Mo., Kansas City, Mo.
- Wednesdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Jam, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Aug. 24: Billy Ebeling and the Late For Dinner Band, 8 p.m. - midnight.
(816) 561-3747. 415 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Saturdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Danny's Big Easy
1610 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 24: Billy Ebeling and the Late For Dinner Band, 8 p.m.-midnight.
Davey's Uptown Rambler's Club
(816) 753-1909. 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 23: David Zollo Band, Victorstands.
- Aug. 24: Snakebite Orphans, Kemps, Domino Kings.
- Aug. 25: Mr. Marco's V7.
- Aug. 28: Phil Wang, Ryan Patrick Imming.
- Aug. 29: National Fire Theory.
- Aug. 30: Slobberbone.
(816) 419-7278. 3101 E. Gillham, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 24: Go Generation, Kosher, The Dukes, Sense of Self.
- Aug. 25: The Gadjits, Eliment.
(816) 767-9999. 11515 Hickman Mills Dr., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: DJ 101 Mike Savage.
(816) 531-1504. 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Brother Ike's Rural Grit Happy Hour, 6 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Caribbean Nights, 6 p.m. - midnight.
- Fridays: Brody Buster's Rush-Hour Rendezvous, 5:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Royal Blue Matinee with Millage Gilbert, 4 p.m.
- Aug. 23: Bill Wharton and the Ingredients.
- Aug. 24: Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers.
- Aug. 25: Kristie Stremel, Honky Tonk Chateau, Jennifer Peterson.
- Aug. 26: Yellowman and the Sagittarius Band.
- Aug. 27: Overstep, The Downtrunks.
- Aug. 28: John Cowan, Spontaneous Combustion.
- Aug. 29: Az One.
- Aug. 30: Juice Looseners, Mercury, Tabla Rasa.
(816) 753-0884. 4048 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 24: Mudhoney, Cretin 66, Erfman.
- Aug. 25: Season To Risk CD release party, Wretch Like Me, Someday I.
- Aug. 26: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, XBXRX.
- Aug. 29: Dirt Nap, Stella Link, The String and Return.
Jazz: A Louisiana Kitchen
(816) 561-5556. 39th and State Line Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 25: Late For Dinner Band, 7 p.m.-11 p.m.
928 Wyandotte, downtown, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 28: Billy Ebeling, 8 p.m.-midnight.
(816) 561-2821. 16 W. 43rd St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays & Tuesdays: The 43rd Street Combo, 9:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays & Thursdays: Simplexity, 9:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m.
- Fridays: Scott Newcomer 5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Groove Agency, 10 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- Saturdays: Camp Harlow 5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Groove Agency, 10 p.m. - 2 a.m.
(816) 561-0625. 805 W. 39th.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: Karaoke.
New Point Grille
44th Street and Southwest Trafficway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 24: Angela Hagenbach, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, Sam Johnson.
- Aug. 25: Allen Monroe, Trelicious.
- Aug. 28: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
- Aug. 29: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
- Aug. 30: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
O'Dowd's Little Dublin
(816) 561-2700. 4742 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 25: Jakob's Well.
(913) 648-4242. 7042 W. 76th St., Overland Park, Kan.
- Tuesdays: Acoustic open mike.
- Thursdays: Karaoke.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
(913) 236-6211. 7230 W. 75th St., Overland Park.
- Tuesdays: Karaoke.
- Wednesdays: Lucid Dream.
- Thursdays: Phil Callier.
- Sundays: Phil Callier.
Stanford and Sons
(816) 753-5653. 504 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Open mike night, 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Best of Kansas City, 8:30 p.m.
- Aug. 23: Tom McGillen, 8:30 p.m.
- Aug. 24-25: Tom McGillen, 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
Stanford & Sons Overland Park
(913) 385-3866. 106th and Metcalf, Overland Park.
- Aug. 23: Brad Sherwood, 8 p.m.
- Aug. 24-25: Brad Sherwood, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
(816) 753-0555 47th and Pennsylvania streets, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thursdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
7438 Wornall Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Velvet Freeze.
(913) 451-3100. 12030 Blue Valley Pkwy., Overland Park.
- Tuesdays: Bob Reeder.
- Aug. 29: The Young Dubliners.
534 N. Kansas, in Historic North Topeka. Wednesdays: Golden Oldies with 99.3FM' Louie-Louie, Thursdays: Blues night, with local blues bands, Fridays: Classic Country-local country bands, Saturdays: Latin night, local Mexican bands, Sundays: Teen night.
Old World Cafe
(785) 271-5910. 5217 SW 28th Court.
- Fridays: Dan Kozak Saxophonia.
- Saturdays: Dan Kozak Jazz Trio.
Remington's Nite Club
(785) 271-8700. 1155 Wanamaker Road. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., Wed.-Sat.
- Wednesdays: Free Dance Lessons, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., Limbo to Las Vegas Contest, finals Aug. 29.
- Thursdays: V100 Rock Night, free pool, 9 p.m.-11 p.m. Beginning Aug. 23, Thursday Night at the Fights, live boxing.
- Fridays: Ladies Night.
- Saturdays: 2 Steppin' and Line Dancin'.
Shakers Night Club
(785) 232-3300. 124 S.W. Eighth.
- Mondays: Male Elite Dancers, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Live music, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Karaoke, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Thursdays: Jam session, with John Henderson and friends.
- Fridays: Big John 39th Street Blues Band.
- Aug. 25: Natalie Cox, 8:30 p.m.-11:30 p.m.
Haskell Indian Nations
- Aug. 25: Native Roots, 7:30 p.m.
864-ARTS. West Campus, Kansas University.
- Aug. 24: Outdoor Festival with Beausoleil, 7 p.m.
St. Margaret's Episcopal Church
865-5777. 5700 W. Sixth St.
- Aug. 25: Gerald Trimble Ensemble, 8 p.m.
Ameristar Casino Hotel
(816) 414-7700. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 24: Kirk Whalum, Kombo, Wayman Tisdale.
(913) 341-2272. 1800 Genessee, Kansas City, Mo.
- August 27: Backstreet Boys, Shaggy and Krystal, 7:30 p.m.
The Madrid Theatre
(816) 753-8880. 3810 and Main, Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: ballroom and salsa dancing.
- Aug. 25: Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Keller Williams, DJ Logic.
(913) 721-3400. 633 N. 130th St., Bonner Springs
- Aug. 25: John Mellencamp, The Wallflowers.
- Aug. 29: Stevie Nicks, Sheryl Crow.
(816) 931-3330. 4600 Starlight Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 28: Pat Benatar, Night Ranger, Shooting Star.
(816) 471-8600. 3700 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 25: Release featuring Monk, John Creamer, Wally Callerio, Rolan, Eclypz, Miss Michaela, Billpile, Lunarbeat, Solaris, DJ Gene, DJ Lawrence.
St. JOSEPH, Mo.
Missouri Western State College
- Aug. 25: St. Joseph Symphony auditions, 9 a.m., Fine Arts Building.
- Aug. 29: auditions.
1229 E. 85th Street North.
- Aug. 26: Pat Benatar.
University Dance Company
- Aug. 29: Auditions, 7 p.m., Studio 242, Robinson Center.
Ticket information, Murphy Hall Box Office, 864-3982, or the Lied Center Box Office, 864-2787. Performances at 8 p.m., unless noted otherwise.
- Aug. 23-27: Auditions and callbacks.
Dale Easton Apple Valley
(888) 634-4219 or (785) 876-2114. Near Lake Perry.
- Fridays: "Toby Saves The Farm," 8:30 p.m., through Sept. 14.
- Saturdays: "The Drunkard," 8:30 p.m., through Sept. 29.
- Saturdays in October: "Frankenstein," 8 p.m.
Seem-To-Be Players Children's Theatre
843-5067. Lawrence Arts Center, 200 W. Ninth St., unless otherwise noted.
- Aug. 26: auditions, 2 p.m., 3 p.m., 4 p.m.
American Heartland Theatre Co.
(816) 842-9999. Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Performance times vary. Show times: 8 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Odd Couple (Female Version)," through Aug. 26.
The Lighten Up Playhouse
(816) 474-4386. 323 W. Eighth St. in Lucas Place, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Play it By Ear!" 7:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "Ultimate Yard Sale," 10 p.m. Fridays.
- "Outside the Lines," 10 p.m. Saturdays.
3810 Main, Kansas City.
- Aug. 25: Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, 9 p.m.
The New Theatre Restaurant
(913) 649-SHOW. 9229 Foster, Overland Park. Meals begin at 6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon Sundays.
- "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," through Sept. 2.
(816) 531-PLAY, ext. 10. 3828 Main St., Kansas City, Mo. Shows begin at 8 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Laramie Project," Aug. 24-Sept. 16.
- Aug. 28: Four Freedoms meeting, following "The Laramie Project."
Topeka Civic Theatre
Box office, (785) 357-5211. Dinner and non-dinner seating. Box office, Gage and S.W. Eighth streets. Performance times are 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays; 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays, with dinner starting at 6 p.m.; and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- Aug. 24: The Senior Class, improvisational comedy.
Great Plains Theatre
(785) 263-4574. 300 N. Mulberry.
- "Daddy's Dyin', Who's Got the Will?" through Sept. 1.
331-3226. 700 N.H. Hours: 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays. Thursday Stories, 10:30 a.m., and Saturday Stories, 11 a.m., children's amphitheater; Chess Club, 7 p.m. Mondays.
- Aug. 25: Storytelling, 11 a.m.
- Aug. 25: Women Without Purses, 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Aug. 30: Melonie Dill, Musical Storytime, 10:30 a.m.
Civil War on the Western
- "Reflections of the War: Women and Their Civil War Quilts," through October, Watkins Community Museum of History, 1047 Mass.
- "Lawrence: Free State Fortress," a docu-drama about Lawrence's history, through October, Lawrence Visitor Center, Union Pacific Depot, 401 N. Second. Free.
842-3883. 11th Street and Vermont.
- Homegrown and baked foods, 4 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 6:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
Hastings Books Music and Video
832-0719. 1900 W. 23rd St.
- Mondays: Pokemon League, 7 p.m.
- Saturdays: Story times.
Kansas University Student
- Wednesdays: "Brown Bag Classics" recitals, 12: 30 p.m.-1 p.m., Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union.
- Aug. 25: Spanky, 8 p.m., Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union.
Lawrence Barn Dance Assn.
749-1356. Lawrence Arts Center Dance Annex, Eighth Street and Vermont. Dance 7:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted.
- Aug. 25-26: 21st Annual Kansas State Fiddling & Picking Championships Weekend.
Lawrence Public Library
843-3833. 707 Vt. Open 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
- "Reading Roadtrip USA" summer reading program for adults, through Aug. 31.
- Tuesdays:" Bookworms Unite!" book club for 8- to 12-year-olds, 4 p.m.-5 p.m.
11th and Massachusetts streets.
- Aug. 25-26: State Fiddling and Picking Championships, noon-5 p.m.
Ameristar Casino Hotel
(816) 414-7000. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo.
- Sundays: Swing dance, with Dave Stephens, 2 p.m.
2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Nerveless Nocks Stunt and Thrill Show, Aug. 24, noon, 5 p.m., 7 p.m.; Aug. 25, 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 6 p.m.; Aug. 26, noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m.
- "Cow-eidoscope" exhibit, through Aug. 27.
- "Titantic: The Exhibition," through Sept. 9.
- "Still More Things People Collect," through Sept. 9.
- CowParade, through Sept. 14.
Johnson County Community College
12345 College Blvd., Overland Park.
- Sept. 12: Carl Brashear, 11 a.m., 233 GEB.
- Sept. 21-22: Capitol Steps.
- Feb. 8-9: "Gothic at Midnight," with Joshua Kane.
- April 27: "The Clown Princes," films of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd, with Paragon Ragtime Orchestra.
Kansas City Zoo
(816) 513-5700. Call (816) 513-IMAX for theater information. Open daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- "Nocturnal Safaris," through Sept. 29.
- "Say Cheese: Kansas City Zoo Photo Contest," through Aug. 31.
- Aug. 25: Rhino Birthday Party, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
30 W. Pershing Road; located at the corner of Pershing Road and Main Street, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 460-2020.
- Aug. 23: Filmmaker Dialogue with Director Brad Beasley, 6 p.m.; Screening, 7 p.m.
- Aug. 23-26: KC Sports Extravaganza, 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Thursday; 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Friday and Saturday; and 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday.
- "Racecar: Science of Speed," through Oct. 14.
- Kansas City's Cow Parade, through Sept. 14.
- "Titanic: The Exhibition," through Sept. 9.
3700 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 24: Bounce Back Ball art auction, 7 p.m.
(785) 272-5821. 635 S.W. Gage Blvd. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
- Mini train and carousel, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
Baldwin City Library
- Aug. 25: "Diamonds in the Rough," 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Aug. 26: Ballad of Black Jack, musical, tryouts, 2 p.m.
Botanica: The Wichita Gardens
(316) 264-0448. 701 Amidon.
- Aug. 24: Through the Eyes of a Gardener, 9 a.m.
- Aug. 25: Daylily Sale, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Aug. 28: Birding at Botanica, 9 a.m.
- Aug. 29: Lunchtime Lecture: Fall Container Gardens, 12:15 p.m.
Wichita State University
- Aug. 24: Colonizing Space, 9 p.m.-11 p.m., Lake Afton Public Observatory.
- Aug. 25: Colonizing Space, 9 p.m.-11 p.m., Lake Afton Public Observatory.
- Aug. 29: Student Employment Fair, 9 a.m.-noon, Rhatigan Student Center Ballroom.
- Aug. 30: Award recognition dinner, 6 p.m., Lawn of President residence.
Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art
864-4710. On Mississippi Street west of the Kansas Union on the Kansas University campus. Comprehensive museum with paintings, sculpture, graphics and textiles. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays; and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays.
- "Charles Marshall: Artist on Site," through Sept. 9.
- "Sum of the Parts: Recent Works on Paper," through Sept. 9.
Kenneth Spencer Research Library
Behind Strong Hall on Poplar Lane, KU campus. Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, and noon-4 p.m. Saturdays (Kansas Collection and Special Collections only).
- "John Gould: Birds and Beasts," through early October.
Kansas University Natural History Museum
864-4540 or 864-4450. On Jayhawk Blvd. on KU campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
Museum of Anthropology
864-4245. Spooner Hall on KU campus. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
Clyde W. Tombaugh
864-3166. 500 Lindley Hall. Open to the public for observations on the second and fourth Sunday nights of each month, if skies are clear, 8 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Watkins Community Museum of History
841-4109. 1047 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays. Hands-on history room for children, call for hours.
- "Woman Who Pulls Teeth: Dr. Lucy Hobbs Taylor, First woman Doctor of Dental Surgery."
- "Underground Railroad in Douglas County, Kansas."
- "The Basketball Man: Dr. James Naismith."
- Lawrence Photo Alliance exhibit, through August.
- Dolls of the "W.P.A.," through Aug. 23.
Clinton Lake Museum
(785) 748-0800. Route 5. Hours: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays and by appointment.
- "Clinton Lake Communities: The First 20 Years, 1854-1874."
- "The Underground Railroad."
- "The J.C. Steele House."
Kansas Museum of History
(785) 272-8681. 6425 S.W. Sixth St. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Kansas History Center Nature Trail, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- "From Gems to Gimcracks, The Discovery Place," hands-on gallery for children, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. daily.
- Bear claw necklace display.
Mulvane Art Museum
(785) 231-1124. 17th and Jewell streets on the Washburn University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Outdoor Art Exhibition.
- "Different Realities," Robert Brawley, Randall Exon, John Kuhn, through Sept. 30.
Territorial Capital Museum
(913) 887-6148. National Historic Registrar Site, near downtown Lecompton. Exhibits about territorial Kansas. Hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
(913) 887-6520. National Landmark, Kansas HIstoric Site. 319 Elmore. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Bleeding Kansas exhibits. Free.
Coal Creek Library
Eight miles south of Lawrence on Douglas County Road 1055, east on Douglas County Road 460. Established Nov. 22, 1859. Hours: noon-4 p.m. Sundays, April through October. Area historical information. For appointment, call (913) 594-3960.
Old Jefferson Town
(785) 863-2070. Hours: 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-5 p.m. Sunday and Monday evenings through November. Collection of vintage buildings, including John Steuart Curry boyhood home, a bow string bridge, wind wagon sculpture, windmill, bell tower and five acres of native grass and wildflowers. Group tours by appointment.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
(816) 561-4000. 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Comprehensive art museum. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Aug. 24: Skip Hawkins, 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
The Kemper Museum
of Contemporary Art
4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Against Design," through Sept. 2.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Oct. 7.
- "Picture This: Permanent Collect Photography," through Oct. 7.
Kansas City Museum
(816) 483-8300. 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Exhibits also at Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St.
- Fridays-Sundays: "The Truth Is Out There," ongoing.
Johnson County Museum
(913) 631-6709. 6305 Lackman, Shawnee. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Free admission.
- "Cold War: Promise and Fear in the 1950s," through Dec. 30.
- "Seeking the Good Life" and "1950s All-Electric House," ongoing.
Hallmark Visitors Center
(816) 274-3613. Crown Center, 25th and McGee streets, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays; 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays and most holidays. Free admission, wheelchair accessible. Reservations required for groups of 10 or more.
- Creative and Hallmark Keepsake Ornament exhibit.
- J.C. Hall Christmas Trees, year-round.
Toy and Miniature Museum
(816) 333-9328. 5235 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Saturdays: "The Great Mystery" puppet shows, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.; River and Prairie Storyweavers, 1 p.m.
- Snoopy and Peanuts memorabilia, through Oct. 27
Union Station-Science City
Pershing Road and Main Street, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, with extended hours to 8 p.m. Thursdays.
- "Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets," 11:15 a.m., 2:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:45 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
- "Titanic," through Sept. 9.
- "Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure," film.
- "Oasis in Space,"1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays and Sundays and 10:45 a.m., 1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays.
- "After Hours," with the McFadden Brothers, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "True Colors," 10 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:15 p.m. , 4:45 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon, 12:45 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Sunday.
- "Sky Quest," 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays, 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, and 11:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Fridays.
- "Good Vibrations," 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Sunday.
- "Mark Twain's America," 10 a.m., 1:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.a nd 5:15 p.m. Sundays.
- "Encounter the Third Dimension," 5:30 p.m. Saturdays.
- "Challenger Learning Center's Rendezvous With a Comet," Family Missions, 11 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 2:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday.
- "Mysteries of Egypt," "Encounter in the Third Dimension," "Mark Twain's America," "Sky Quest."
- "Pink Floyd's The Wall," 10:15 p.m., 11 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- Laser Shows, "Laser Magic," "Laser Retro," "Laser Beatles," "Laseropolis."
- "Rendezvous with a Comet," 11 a.m., 12:15 a.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m., Wednesdays-Sundays.
- "Magic of Flight," 12:15 a.m., 3:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m.Mondays-Thursdays, 12:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m Fridays-Saturdays, noon, 3:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sundays.
- "PopMania," 6:15 p.m. daily.
- "Union Station Stories" exhibit, 6 a.m.-midnight daily, show 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Fridays, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Union Station tours, 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 11:15 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 4:45 p.m. and 5:15 Fridays-Saturdays, and 12:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Sundays.
ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
2818 Frederick Blvd. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Works of Bill and Susan Tinker, through Sept. 9.
- Works of Kelly Johnson and Shirley Harryman, through Sept. 9.
Old Depot Museum
(785) 242-1250. 135 W. Tecumseh. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Great Flood of '51," through Aug. 29.
- "Rails, Trails and Prairie Tales," plus H-O model trains and period rooms, ongoing.
- "Ottawa Newsreels 1937-1938-1939," films.
Wichita Art Museum
(316) 268-4921. 619 Stackman Drive. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Southwest Impressions."
Wichita State University Edwin A. Ulrich Museum
(316) 978-3664. WSU campus. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Photographs by Gordon Parks.
Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
(316) 265-9314. 204 S. Main. Hours; 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "Glamour Gowns -- Very Velvet."
Harry S. Truman Library
(816) 833-1400. U.S. Highway 24 and Delaware Street.
- Exhibition of Truman's high school theme books.
- "Restoring the White House, 1948-1952: Photographs by Abbie Rowe."
Beach Museum of Art
(785) 532-7718. On the Kansas State University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays, with extended hours to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "Taking Root: The Art of Patricia Duncan," through Sept. 16.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Sept. 23.
Old Mill Museum and Park
(785) 227-3595. 120 Mill St.
- "What Mother Did, I Did Too: Kansas Quilt Traditions," through Sept. 12.
Dane G. Hansen Memorial
(785) 689-4846. 110 W. Main. Hours: 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Hatteberg's "Kansas People" Photo Exhibit, through Aug. 26.
The Denver Art Museum
(303) 640-4433 through March. 100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy.
- "Sunken Treasures: Ming Dynasty Ceramics from a Chinese Shipwreck," through Nov. 18.
- "Seven-Point Perspective: Photography from The Denver Salon," through Sept. 2.
- "Preserving Patterns: The Quilts of Charlotte Jane Whitehill," through Dec. 9.
- "European Masterpieces: Six Centures of Paintings from the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia," through Sept. 9.
Joslyn Art Museum
(402) 342-3300. 2200 Dodge St.
- "Treasures of Chinese Scholar, through Aug. 26.
- "The watercolors and sketches of Thomas Moran," through Sept. 23.
- "Painter/etcher: the American painter-etcher Movement," through Sept. 30.
- Watercolors by Lynn Metzger, through Aug. 31.
Art and Design Gallery
Art and Design Building, KU campus. Hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Fridays, 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Closed Saturdays and holidays.
The Art Cornerstone
843-4750. 925 Iowa.
- Charles McGuyer, mixed media, watercolors, graphite drawings, through Sept. 15.
Artframes Gallery and
Artforms Sculpture Garden
842-1991. 912 Ill. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays or by appointment.
Back to the Garden
749-3109. 619 N. Second St., one block north of Kansas River bridge. Works by Celestial Ironworks and other unique art for house and garden.
Back to the Garden
1017 Mass. (second location). Works by Celestial Ironworks and other unique art for house and garden.
Blackbird Trading Post
841-1498. 1011 1/2 Mass. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. six days a week, except closed on Tuesdays. Art, antiques, unusual treasures.
- Works by Gotfred Beardshear.
749-0200. 846 Pa. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays.
- Contemporary fine crafts by national and local artists, including ceramics, metal, wood, jewelry and furniture.
Celia Smith Studio
843-8417. 907 W. 27th Terrace. Hours: By appointment only.
- Symbolic and narrative paintings; holistic portraits, prints and cards.
Creative Hand Studio
832-9413. 2504 Westdale Road. Call for an appointment.
- Original art by Barbara Jarvis, including paintings, collages, wall designs, borders, art arrangement and hanging.
Diana Dunkley at Studio 3D
842-2858. 1019 Del. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diverse work in many media, including transparent watercolor figures and landscapes, abstra