Lawrence firefighters were called Thursday afternoon to a three-alarm fire in an apartment at Babcock Place, 1700 Mass.
The fire, which started shortly before 4 p.m., was contained within one room on the fourth floor, firefighters said.
About 100 residents in the building, most of whom are elderly, were evacuated.
However, they were allowed to go back into the building after the blaze was extinguished an hour later.
All residents, except the man in whose apartment the fire started, will be able to remain in their apartments this evening, firefighters said.