Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, August 5, 2001

USS Cole investigators return to scene of blast

August 5, 2001

Advertisement

— American investigators looking into last year's USS Cole bombing have returned to Yemen, nearly two months after leaving because of a security threat, the U.S. Embassy said Saturday.

The Oct. 12 attack on the U.S. Navy destroyer in the southern port of Aden killed 17 American sailors and injured 39.

The team of six investigators returned Thursday to the capital San'a, said Donna Visocan, the embassy's acting public affairs officer.

"They are here to discuss continued cooperation with Yemeni officials regarding the investigation of the bombing of the USS Cole," she said, adding that the team of investigators included FBI agents.

After a security threat was made June 9, the FBI withdrew its personnel investigating the bombing, the U.S. Embassy closed, and eight people were arrested in connection with an alleged plot on the embassy.

The embassy reopened last month.

The Yemeni side will put forward a number of suggestions, including setting a time frame to complete the investigation and setting a trial date for eight suspects arrested in connection with the attack.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.