Abe & Jake's Landing
841-5855. 8 E. Sixth St. (limited parking in Lawrence Riverfront Plaza) Abe & Jake's Pub open Tuesdays-Fridays, 4 p.m.-2 a.m.; Saturdays noon-2 a.m.
- Tuesdays: Singer-songwriter night.
- Thursdays: DJ Randy Foster.
- Aug. 3: Dixie Roads.
842-3415. 3408 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Thursdays: John Weatherwax and the Junk Yard Jazz, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Games, bingo and pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
749-7699. 601 Kasold. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Ten pool tables, daily drink specials, Astros matches the pot for Sunday tournaments.
Bambino's Italian Cafe
832-8800. 1801 Mass. Music by acoustic singer-songwriters Thursday-Sunday nights.
The Blue Moon
841-1533. 1910 Haskell Ave. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Live music Friday nights.
- Aug. 3: Blue Condition, 9 p.m.-midnight.
841-5483. 737 N.H. Club with dance floor and live music, featuring local and out-of-town bands.
- Sundays: Smackdown Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m. Karaoke with Super Ton Ton, 11 p.m.
- Mondays: KJHK presents open-mike night.
- Aug. 2: Corporate Avenger, AKP.
- Aug. 3: Jesse Jackson 5.
- Aug. 4: Kill Creek, Proudentall.
- Aug. 7: Catastphic, D.R.I., Diecast, Sworn Enemy.
- Aug. 8: Bonnie Prince Billy, Pinetop Seven, Danny Pound.
Brown Bear Brewing Co.
331-4338. 729 Mass. Bands play 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. DJ Kilby, Monday and Friday nights. Lawrence Musicians Network hosted by Lonnie Fisher, Tuesday nights. Carol Dressler's Acoustic Showcase, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. first Saturday of the month.
- Thursdays: Karaoke.
- Aug. 2: Javaman.
- Aug. 4: Revelry Trio, Victoria White.
842-1414. 943 Mass.
- Aug. 2: Rebreather.
- Aug. 9: Disengage.
842-7030. Ramada Inn, 2222 W. Sixth St. Opens 4 p.m. daily.
- Tuesdays-Saturdays: Karaoke.
843-9690. 1803 W. Sixth St.
- Wednesdays and Fridays: Bingo, 7 p.m.
Flamingo Dance Academy
331-2227. 1117 Mass.
- Fridays: Retro night dance party, 8 p.m.-midnight.
- Sundays: Swing dance, 9 p.m.-1 a.m., with salsa and swing lessons from 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
842-1390. 1020 Mass. PUMP with DJ Scott Allen, Saturdays. Sub Surface, with DJ JJ Mesmer and Marcel Tempest, Mondays. Acoustic Lounge, High Fidelity, 8 p.m.-midnight. Tuesdays. Live local music, Wednesdays. Retro dance party, Thursdays. Ladies Night, Fridays. Pump-all new dance night, Saturdays.
841-1960. 1031 Mass. Hours: 2:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekdays and 1:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekends. Featuring live music Sundays and live jazz Wednesdays. Three pool tables.
Jack Flanigans Bar and Grill
749-HAWK. Just off 23rd Street behind McDonald's. Billiards, darts, foos-ball, NTN and TVs in every booth. DJ, Thursday-Saturday nights. Open 4 p.m. daily and 11 a.m. weekends. Soft Tip Dart League on Tuesdays. DM Goman's Dance Party on Thursdays, Flashback Fridays Retro Dance on Fridays, 105.9 Lazer Saturday Night Dance Party on Saturdays, Soprano Sundays Showtime 8 p.m. Sundays.
749-3320. 926 1/2 Mass. Live jazz, funk, electric blues and original rock. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. daily. Concert information, 749-1387. All shows start at 10 p.m.
- Aug. 2: Pocket Space, Brother Fredd.
- Aug. 3: Slanted Plant.
- Aug. 4: Pocket Space, Einstein Electric.
- Aug. 8: Nucleus.
- Aug. 9: DJJP.
Kaspars Public House
843-9621. 3115 W. Sixth St.
- Mondays: Lawrence Dart League.
- Wednesdays: Live Action Trivia, 8 p.m.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
- Aug 2: Billy Ebeling, 7:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
Raoul's Velvet Room
842-8200. 815 N.H.
- Aug. 2: DJ Bobby Keyes.
- Aug. 3: DJ Scott Harkiss.
- Aug. 4: DJ Bobby Keyes.
832-8228. 944 Mass. Darts, pool table, big-screen TVs. Celtic Jam Pub Night, 7 p.m. first Wednesday of every month. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-7676. 946 Mass. Pinball, video games, beer garden and occasional live music. Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Fridays and 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Saturday-Sundays.
749-5067. 623 Vt. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Darts, pool and shuffleboard. Live music every Saturday.
Harper Market Square on East 23rd St.
- Tuesdays: Open jam, 9 p.m.-midnight.
- Aug. 4: Heads, Hands, & Feat, 9 p.m.-midnight.
2907 W. Sixth. Pool tables. Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon to 2 a.m.-Saturdays Sundays.
Stu's Midtown Tavern
749-1666. 925 Iowa. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Two pool tables, four dart boards, Golden Tee 2002. Live music Friday and Saturday nights.
- First and third Wednesdays: Heads, Hands & Feat, 9 p.m.-midnight.
- Second Wednesdays: Eddie Haskell's Middle Finger.
- Aug. 3: Tank Farm.
- Aug. 4: Detour.
843-2078. 138 Ala.
- Thursdays: Bingo/pull tabs, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
(913) 631-2591. Fourth and Main streets. Alcohol- and smoke-free environment.
- Saturdays: Branson-style country music, 7:30 p.m.-10 p.m.
Bichelmeyer's Steakhouse Restaurant
(913) 369-2337. 427 E. Fourth St.
- Fridays: Tom Eversole on baby grand piano, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Live jazz, featuring Mr. Van's Jazz Band, 7 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
The Beaumont Club
(816) 561-2668. 4050 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 3: Jeffrey Gaines.
- Aug. 7: Buju Banton.
Big Daddy's Cajun Kitchen
(816) 471-3339. 112 E. Mo., Kansas City, Mo.
- Wednesdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Jam, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.
(816) 561-3747. 415 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Saturdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Davey's Uptown Rambler's Club
(816) 753-1909. 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 2: Sound Transmission, Lake District.
- Aug. 3: Mr. Marco's V7s, T.J. Dovebelly.
- Aug. 4: Daybirds, The Gadjits.
- Aug. 7: Alejandro Escovedo.
- Aug. 9: Fifth Ticket Fraud, Pernice Brothers.
Eden Alley Restaurant
707 W. 47th St., On the Plaza, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 3: Mark Gottschall, 6 p.m.-8 p.m.
(816) 419-7278. 3101 E. Gillham, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 2: Dashboard Confessional, Saves The Day, Hey Mercedes, Hot Rod Circuit.
- Aug. 3: Wafflehouse, Podstar, Touchdowns, 13 Stars. 7 p.m.
- Aug. 4: Jade Syndicate, Tora Tora Torance. 7 p.m.
- Aug. 7: Pressure Point, 7 p.m.
- Aug. 8: Saved By Grace, The Esoteric, Entropy, System Failure, Chloraform
- Aug. 9: L.E.S. Stiches, Trash Brats, Kosher. 7 p.m.
(816) 767-9999. 11515 Hickman Mills Dr., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: DJ 101 Mike Savage.
(816) 531-1504. 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Brother Ike's Rural Grit Happy Hour, 6 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Caribbean Nights, 6 p.m - midnight.
- Fridays: Brody Buster's Rush-Hour Rendezvous, 5:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: Royal Blue Matinee with Millage Gilbert, 4 p.m.
- Aug. 2: The Schwag, Grand Fiasco.
- Aug. 3: James Armstrong, Rockin' Jake.
- Aug. 4: Lonnie Brooks.
- Aug. 7: Slackjaw.
- Aug. 8: Junior Murvin.
- Aug. 9: KC Brass & Electric.
(816) 753-0884. 4048 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 3: Gravity Kills, Black Mollys.
- Aug. 4: 90 Day Men, The Appleseed Cast, To Conquer.
- Aug. 5: Enuff Z' Nuff.
- Aug. 7: Kiss Army (Kiss tribute band).
- Aug. 8: Burning Airlines, Shiner, Aina.
Jazz: A Louisiana Kitchen
(816) 525-1714. 29th and Barry Road, Kansas City Mo.
- Aug. 9: Late For Dinner Band, 7 p.m.-11 p.m.
Jazz: A Louisiana Kitchen
(816) 561-5556. 39th and State Line Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 3: Late For Dinner Band, 7 p.m.-1 a.m.
(816) 561-2821. 16 W. 43rd St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays & Tuesdays: The 43rd Street Combo, 9:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays & Thursdays: Simplexity, 9:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m.
- Fridays: Scott Newcomer 5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Groove Agency, 10 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- Saturdays: Camp Harlow 5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Groove Agency, 10 p.m. - 2 a.m.
(816) 561-0625. 805 W. 39th.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: Karaoke.
New Point Grille
44th Street and Southwest Trafficway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 2: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman.
- Aug. 3: David Basse, Greg Richter, Matt Pittman, Sam Johnson.
- Aug. 4: Allen Monroe, Trelicious.
- Aug. 7: Allen Monroe, Trelicious.
- Aug. 8: Allen Monroe, Trelicious.
- Aug. 9: Allen Monroe, Trelicious.
Nowhere at the Uptown
(816) 753-8665. 3700 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 3: Bluedaddies
- Aug. 4: Oscar Polk, 5 p.m.-8 p.m., Dan Doran Trio 8 p.m. - midnight.
O'Dowd's Little Dublin
(816) 561-2700. 4742 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 4: Brian Mahoney.
(913) 648-4242. 7042 W. 76th St., Overland Park, Kan.
- Tuesdays: Acoustic open mike.
- Thursdays: Karaoke.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
Stanford and Sons
(816) 753-5653. 504 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Open mike night, 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Best of Kansas City, 8:30 p.m.
- Aug. 1-2: Tommy Davidson, 7:30 and 9:30 p.m.
- Aug. 3-4: Carlos Mencia, 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
Stanford & Sons Overland Park
(913) 385-3866. 106th and Metcalf, Overland Park.
- Aug. 2: Carlos Mencia, 8 p.m.
- Aug. 3-4: Sean Rouse, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
- Aug. 8-9: Rick Overton, 8 p.m.
(816) 753-0555 47th and Pennsylvania streets, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thursdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
7438 Wornall Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Velvet Freeze.
(913) 451-3100. 12030 Blue Valley Pkwy., Overland Park.
- Tuesdays: Bob Reeder.
Old World Cafe
(785) 271-5910. 5217 SW 28th Court.
- Fridays: Dan Kozak Saxophonia.
- Saturdays: Dan Kozak Jazz Trio.
Remington's Nite Club
(785) 271-8700. 1155 Wanamaker Road.
- Sundays: Sing-a-long with Lamont; DJ Marc, 8 p.m.-midnight.
- Sundays: Boogie night.
Shakers Night Club
(785) 232-3300. 124 S.W. Eighth.
- Mondays: Male Elite Dancers, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Live music, 7 pm.-9 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Karaoke, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Thursdays: Jam session, with John Henderson and friends.
- Fridays: Big John 39th Street Blues Band.
- Aug. 4: Billy Ebeling and the Late For Dinner Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
- Aug. 2: Brown Bag Concert, with Five Cent Cotton, noon, Mercantile Bank, 900 Mass.
Ameristar Casino Hotel
(816) 414-7700. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 3: The Lettermen.
- Aug. 4: Eric Burdon and the New Animals.
(816) 931-3330. Fifth and Walnut streets, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 7: Barenaked Ladies, The Proclaimers, Sarah Harmer, Five Finger Fighting, 7 p.m.
The Madrid Theatre
(816) 753-8880. 3810 and Main, Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: ballroom and salsa dancing.
(816) 931-3330. 4600 Starlight Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 3: Wildflower Festival featuring Judy Collins, Roger McGuinn, Richie Havens, Janis Ian.
- Aug. 4: Chris King's Old School Soul Jam featuring The Stylistics, The Dramatics, The Chi-Lites, The Manhattans, The Impressions.
Dale Easton Apple Valley
(888) 634-4219 or (785) 876-2114. Near Lake Perry.
- Fridays: "Toby Saves The Farm," 8:30 p.m., through Sept. 14.
- Saturdays: "The Drunkard," 8:30 p.m, through Sept. 29.
- Saturdays in October: "Frankenstein," 8 p.m.
American Heartland Theatre Co.
(816) 842-9999. Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Performance times vary. Show times: 8 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Odd Couple (Female Version)," through Aug. 26.
The Lighten Up Playhouse
(816) 474-4386. 323 W. Eighth St. in Lucas Place, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Play it By Ear!" 7:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "Ultimate Yard Sale," 10 p.m. Fridays.
- "Outside the Lines," 10 p.m. Saturdays.
The New Theatre Restaurant
(913) 649-SHOW. 9229 Foster, Overland Park. Meals begin at 6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon Sundays.
- "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," through Sept. 2.
(816) 931-3330. Kansas City, Mo.
- Aug. 6-12: "My Fair Lady."
Theatre for Young America
(913) 831-1400. Mission Center Mall, 4881 Johnson Drive, Mission. Show times are 10 a.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 2 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- July 26-Aug. 5: "The Hobbit."
Topeka Civic Theatre
Box office, (785) 357-5211. Dinner and non-dinner seating. Box office, Gage and S.W. Eighth streets. Performance times are 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays; 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays, with dinner starting at 6 p.m.; and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Oklahoma," through Aug. 11.
(785) 594-6451. Rice Auditorium, unless otherwise noted.
- July 29-Aug. 5: "Broadway at Baker: 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.'"
331-3226. 700 N.H. Hours: 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays. Thursday Stories, 10:30 a.m., and Saturday Stories, 11 a.m., children's amphitheater; Chess Club, 7 p.m. Mondays.
Douglas County 4-H
21st Street and Harper.
- July 30-Aug. 4: Douglas County Free Fair.
842-3883. 11th Street and Vermont.
- Homegrown and baked foods, 4 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 6:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
Hastings Books Music and Video
832-0719. 1900 W. 23rd St.
- Mondays: Pokemon League, 7 p.m.
- Saturdays: Story times.
Kansas University Student
- Wednesdays: "Brown Bag Classics" recitals, 12: 30 p.m.-1 p.m., Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union.
Lawrence Public Library
843-3833. 707 Vt. Open 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
- "Reading Roadtrip USA" summer reading program for children and teens, June through July 31, and adults, through Aug. 31.
- Tuesdays:" Bookworms Unite!" book club for 8- to 12-year-olds, 4 p.m.-5 p.m.
11th and Massachusetts streets.
- Aug. 2: Movies in the Park, "Toy Story 2," 8:30 p.m.
- Aug. 9: Movies in the Park, "Antz," 8:30 p.m.
Ameristar Casino Hotel
(816) 414-7000. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo.
- Sundays: Swing dance, with Dave Stephens, 2 p.m.
- Aug. 4: Advantage Fast Friends Duets, 11:30 a.m.
2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Cow-eidoscope" exhibit, through Aug. 27.
- "Titantic: The Exhibition," through Sept. 9.
- "Still More Things People Collect," July 28-Sept. 9.
- Aug. 4: Clown Day, begins at 11:30 a.m.
- Aug. 9: "At the Plate with the Royals," noon-1 p.m.
Kansas City Public Libraries
Aregentine Branch, 2800 Metroplitan Ave., Kansas City , Kan., (913) 722-7400, Main Branch, 625 Minnesota Ave., Kansas City, Kan., (913) 551-3280, West Wyandotte Branch, 1737 N. 82nd St., Kansas City, Kan., (913) 596-5800.
- Aug. 7: David O. Selznick Double Feature, film, 6 p.m., main branch.
Kansas City Zoo
(816) 513-5700. Call (816) 513-IMAX for theater information. Open daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- "Nocturnal Safaris," through Sept. 29.
- "Say Cheese: Kansas City Zoo Photo Contest," through Aug. 31.
- "Sunset Safaris," through Aug. 16.
- Aug. 4: Ice Cream Safari, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
(816) 697-2600. Located east of Lone Jack, Mo., on U.S. Highway 50.
- Aug. 4-5: Grasshopper Weekend.
- "Big Bugs," by Dave Rogers, through Aug. 19.
30 W. Pershing Road; located at the corner of Pershing Road and Main Street, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 460-2020.
- "Racecar: Science of Speed," through Oct. 14.
- Kansas City's Cow Parade, through Sept. 14.
- "Titanic: The Exhibition," through Sept. 9.
Westin Crown Center Hotel
- Aug. 4: National convention of the American Cut Glass Assn., 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Worlds of Fun and Oceans
4545 Worlds of Fun Ave., Kansas City, Mo.
- June 28-Aug. 19: "Summer Spectacular."
(785) 272-5821. 635 S.W. Gage Blvd. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
- Mini train and carousel, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
(785) 235-9413. Shows at 7:30 p.m., White Concert Hall.
- Aug. 7-9: Summer Conference on Aging, Henderson Learning Resources Center.
Art Walk Night
- First Fridays of the month: Self-guided walk to downtown galleries.
Orscheln Town & Country
- Aug. 4: Garage Sale Art Contest.
Botanica: The Wichita Gardens
(316) 264-0448. 701 Amidon.
- Aug. 1: Lunchtime Lecture: Growing Toward Tomorrow, 12:15 p.m.
- Aug. 2: Botanicamp for 2nd-5th grade: Concerts from the Garden, 9 a.m.-noon.
- Aug. 8: Lunchtime Lecture: Horticulture Therapy at Botanica, 12:15 p.m.
The Kansas Coliseum
1229 E. 85th Street North.
- July 28-29: Pride of Prairie Pinto Show, 7 a.m.
- Aug. 4: Kansas Paint Horse Show, 9 a.m.
- Aug. 4: Flint Hills Team Penning, 3 p.m.
- Aug. 4-5: US Weapons Gun Show, Sat., 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun., 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Wichita State University
- Aug. 3: Colonizing Space, 9 p.m.-11 p.m., Lake Afton Public Observatory.
- Aug. 4: Colonizing Space, 9 p.m.-11 p.m., Lake Afton Public Observatory.
- Aug. 4: Astrophotography, 11 p.m., Lake Afton Public Observatory.
Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center
1100 N. Plum, (620) 662-2305
- Aug. 4: Star Wars: Art of the Starflighter.
ST. LOUIS, Mo.
Missouri Botanical Garden
(314) 577-0855.4344 Shaw Blvd.
- Steve Feiner, photographs, through Aug. 10.
- "Out of the Garden and Into the Woods," through Aug. 12.
- "Chapungu -- Custom and Legend: A Culture in Stone," through Oct. 7.
Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art
864-4710. On Mississippi Street west of the Kansas Union on the Kansas University campus. Comprehensive museum with paintings, sculpture, graphics and textiles. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays; and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays.
- "Charles Marshall: Artist on Site," through Sept. 9.
- "Sum of the Parts: Recent Works on Paper," through Sept. 2.
Programs, lectures, films and events
- Aug. 2: "Before They Were Remakes" film series, with "The Thomas Crown Affair," 7 p.m.
- Aug. 9: "Before They Were Remakes" film series, with "A Star Is Born," 7 p.m.
Kansas University Natural History Museum
864-4540 or 864-4450. On Jayhawk Blvd. on KU campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
Museum of Anthropology
864-4245. Spooner Hall on KU campus. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Blackbear Bosin: Artist and Collector," through Aug. 5.
- "Plains Indian Beadwork," through Aug. 5.
Kenneth Spencer Research Library
Behind Strong Hall on Poplar Lane, KU campus. Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, and noon-4 p.m. Saturdays (Kansas Collection and Special Collections only).
- "John Gould: Birds and Beasts," through early October.
Clyde W. Tombaugh
864-3166. 500 Lindley Hall. Open to the public for observations on the second and fourth Sunday nights of each month, if skies are clear, 8 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Watkins Community Museum of History
841-4109. 1047 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays. Hands-on history room for children, call for hours.
- "Woman Who Pulls Teeth: Dr. Lucy Hobbs Taylor, First woman Doctor of Dental Surgery."
- "Underground Railroad in Douglas County, Kansas."
- "The Basketball Man: Dr. James Naismith."
- Lawrence Photo Alliance exhibit, through August.
- Dolls of the "W.P.A.," through Aug. 23.
Clinton Lake Museum
(785) 748-0800. Route 5. Hours: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays and by appointment.
- "Clinton Lake Communities: The First 20 Years, 1854-1874."
- "The Underground Railroad."
- "The J.C. Steele House."
Kansas Museum of History
(785) 272-8681. 6425 S.W. Sixth St. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Kansas History Center Nature Trail, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- "From Gems to Gimcracks, The Discovery Place," hands-on gallery for children, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. daily.
- Bear claw necklace display.
Mulvane Art Museum
(785) 231-1124. 17th and Jewell streets on the Washburn University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Outdoor Art Exhibition.
- Topeka Competition 23.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
(816) 561-4000. 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Comprehensive art museum. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Gold of the Nomads: Scythian Treasures from Ancient Ukraine," through Aug. 19.
- Aug. 4: "Ice Mummies: Siberian Ice Maiden," 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Aug. 3: Skip Hawkins, 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
The Kemper Museum
of Contemporary Art
4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Against Design," through Sept. 2.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Oct. 7.
- "Picture This: Permanent Collect Photography," through Oct. 7.
Kansas City Museum
(816) 483-8300. 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Exhibits also at Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St.
- Fridays-Sundays: "The Truth Is Out There," ongoing.
Johnson County Museum
(913) 631-6709. 6305 Lackman, Shawnee. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Free admission.
- "Cold War: Promise and Fear in the 1950s," through Dec. 30.
- "Seeking the Good Life" and "1950s All-Electric House," ongoing.
Hallmark Visitors Center
(816) 274-3613. Crown Center, 25th and McGee streets, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays; 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays and most holidays. Free admission, wheelchair accessible. Reservations required for groups of 10 or more.
- Creative and Hallmark Keepsake Ornament exhibit.
- J.C. Hall Christmas Trees, year-round.
Toy and Miniature Museum
(816) 333-9328. 5235 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Saturdays: "The Great Mystery" puppet shows, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.; River and Prairie Storyweavers, 1 p.m.
- PEZ container exhibition, through Aug. 4.
- Snoopy and Peanuts memorabilia, through Oct. 27
Union Station-Science City
Pershing Road and Main Street, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, with extended hours to 8 p.m. Thursdays.
- "Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets," 11:15 a.m., 2:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:45 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
- "Titanic," through Sept. 9.
- "Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure," film.
- "Oasis in Space,"1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays and Sundays and 10:45 a.m., 1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays.
- "After Hours," with the McFadden Brothers, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "True Colors," 10 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:15 p.m. , 4:45 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon, 12:45 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Sunday.
- "Sky Quest," 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays, 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, and 11:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Fridays.
- "Good Vibrations," 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Sunday.
- "Mark Twain's America," 10 a.m., 1:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.a nd 5:15 p.m. Sundays.
- "Encounter the Third Dimension," 5:30 p.m. Saturdays.
- "Challenger Learning Center's Rendezvous With a Comet," Family Missions, 11 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 2:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday.
- "Mysteries of Egypt," "Encounter in the Third Dimension," "Mark Twain's America," "Sky Quest."
- "Pink Floyd's The Wall," 10:15 p.m., 11 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- Laser Shows, "Laser Magic," "Laser Retro," "Laser Beatles," "Laseropolis."
- "Rendezvous with a Comet," 11 a.m., 12:15 a.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m., Wednesdays-Sundays.
- "Magic of Flight," 12:15 a.m., 3:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m.Mondays-Thursdays, 12:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m Fridays-Saturdays, noon, 3:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sundays.
- "PopMania," 6:15 p.m. daily.
- "Union Station Stories" exhibit, 6 a.m.-midnight daily, show 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Fridays, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Union Station tours, 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 11:15 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 4:45 p.m. and 5:15 Fridays-Saturdays, and 12:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Sundays.
ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
2818 Frederick Blvd. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Works of Bill and Susan Tinker, through Sept. 9.
- Works of Kelly Johnson and Shirley Harryman, through Sept. 9.
Old Depot Museum
(785) 242-1250. 135 W. Tecumseh. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Great Flood of '51," through Aug. 29.
- "Rails, Trails and Prairie Tales," plus H-O model trains and period rooms, ongoing.
- "Ottawa Newsreels 1937-1938-1939," films.
Wichita Art Museum
(316) 268-4921. 619 Stackman Drive. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Southwest Impressions."
Wichita State University Edwin A. Ulrich Museum
(316) 978-3664. WSU campus. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Photographs by Gordon Parks.
Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
(316) 265-9314. 204 S. Main. Hours; 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "Glamour Gowns -- Very Velvet."
Harry S. Truman Library
(816) 833-1400. U.S. Highway 24 and Delaware Street.
- Exhibition of Truman's high school theme books.
- "Restoring the White House, 1948-1952: Photographs by Abbie Rowe."
Beach Museum of Art
(785) 532-7718. On the Kansas State University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays, with extended hours to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "Taking Root: The Art of Patricia Duncan," through Sept. 16.
- Works from the permanent collection, through Sept. 23.
Dane G. Hansen Memorial
(785) 689-4846. 110 W. Main. Hours: 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Hatteberg's "Kansas People" Photo Exhibit, through Aug. 26.
The Denver Art Museum
(303) 640-4433 through March. 100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy.
- "Sunken Treasures: Ming Dynasty Ceramics from a Chinese Shipwreck," through Nov. 18.
- "Seven-Point Perspective: Photography from The Denver Salon," through Sept. 2.
- "American Design, 1975-2000," through July 29.
- "Between the Lines: Works by Roland Bernier," through Aug. 12.
- "Preserving Patterns: The Quilts of Charlotte Jane Whitehill," through Dec. 9.
- "European Masterpieces: Six Centures of Paintings from the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia," through Sept. 9.
Joslyn Art Museum
(402) 342-3300. 2200 Dodge St.
- "Treasures of Chinese Scholar, through Aug. 26.
- "The watercolors and sketches of Thomas Moran," through Sept. 23.
- "Painter/etcher: the American painter-etcher Movement," through Sept. 30.
Blackbird Trading Post
841-1498. 1011 1/2 Mass. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. six days a week, except closed on Tuesdays. Art, antiques, unusual treasures.
- Works by Gotfred Beardshear.
749-0200. 846 Pa. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays.
- Contemporary fine crafts by national and local artists, including ceramics, metal, wood, jewelry and furniture.
The Bourgeois Pig
843-1001. 6 E. Ninth St. Hours: 7 a.m.-2 a.m. daily.
- Paintings by Steven Stewart, through Aug. 4.
Celia Smith Studio
843-8417. 907 W. 27th Terrace. Hours: By appointment only.
- Symbolic and narrative paintings; holistic portraits, prints and cards.
Creative Hand Studio
832-9413. 2504 Westdale Road. Call for an appointment.
- Original art by Barbara Jarvis, including paintings, collages, wall designs, borders, art arrangement and hanging.
Kristin Dempsey Portraiture and Fine Art Studio
749-3368 or (800) 640-1230, code 01. 1804 Ill. Call for appointment. Web sites: www.dempseyportraits.com; www.kristindempsey.com.
- Pencil, charcoal and oil portraiture, including pets; oil paintings; limited prints, note cards, commercial illustration.
841-2254. 416 E. Ninth St.
- Private collection of Marty Olson.
749-0430. 625 Walnut. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Imported African and Asian art. Call before visiting.
842-7187. 712 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, with extended hours to 8 p.m. Thursdays, and 12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Stoneware sculpture by Ryan Paget. Paintings by Paula Hauser Leffel, Lauretta Hendricks-Backus, Kim Kern, Tom Russell, Rosemary Murphy and Jan Gaumnitz. Mixed media on paper by Colette Bangert and Sheila Wilkins. Assemblages by Karen Jacks.
- Lawrence Photo Alliance, August.
Free State Glass Gallery
840-0900. 1021 Mass. Hand-blown glass and sculpture. Hours: noon-5 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
842-2770. 723 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Works by national and international artists, including jewelry designs by Peter Zacharias and enamels by Faulker Fusaiy.
Haskell Indian Nations
749-8417. 155 Indian Ave.
- Exhibit of photos from the Rinehart Collection, library.
331-3511. 11 East Eighth St. Hours: Sunday and Monday, 5 p.m.-2 a.m.; Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Oil paintings by Aaron Marable and photographs by Brant Mimatson.
Iveth Jalinsky Studio
749-4801 or 550-9530. By appointment only. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paintings by Iveth Jalinsky.
15 E. Seventh St.
- Fine art portraits.
Jennifer Immel Oldridge Home Studio
331-3090. 112 W. 15th St. By appointment only. Web site: www.sunflower.com/~dojo.
- Pastel drawings, portraits, note cards and oil and acrylic paintings.
Julie Hammer Home Studio
841-1191 or 841-1800, by appointment only.
- Watercolor paintings, prints and note cards.
Karla Nathan Home Studio
832-2835. 1754 E. 1200 Road. Open by appointment.
- Hand-painted antique furniture, floral and landscape watercolors, murals and faux finishes.
Laura's Fine Art Studio
843-3969. 824 Mass. Original artwork by owner/artist Laura Torres Porter. Specializing in portraiture, customized artwork for murals, furniture, ceramics, logo design and more.
Lawrence Public Library
Seventh Street and Vermont.
- Pelathe Youth Photography Workshops, "Foco Loco," through August.
- "Retold Tales," collage and painting on metal, through August.
- Art by Lawrence Art Guild members, through August.
- Collage art by Rachel Freeman, through Aug. 15.
Odyssey Design Studio
842-8759. 2730 Belle Haven Drive. By appointment only.
- Featuring murals, trompe l'oeil, faux fashions, furniture, floor cloths and restorations by Nancy Ness.
Out of Nature into Paper
865-1404. By appointment.
- Handmade paper, book arts, prints and collages by Lori Hinrichsen.
- Lawrence Photo Alliance, Aug. 6.-Sept. 30
Paul Penny Home Studio
843-6700. 638 Ohio. Oil paintings of local scenes and the Midwest. By appointment only.
843-0080. 919 Mass. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Works by regional artisans in clay, fiber, glass, wood and more.
- Mixed-media Zen paintings by Mike Moses.
PrairieFire: An American Bistro
724 Mass. Hours: lunch 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday, dinner beginning at 5 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday.
- Paintings by Louis Copt, Sam Farnsworth, Brian Slawson and Z. Allison.
Pam Carvalho Prairie Found Studio
843-4350. 859 E. 1500 Road. By appointment only. Classes and lectures.
- Works from dried materials, custom works from prairie plants, original dolls.
Redfield's Stained Glass Studio
843-4039. 2050 E. 1550 Road. Hours: By appointment.
Custom stained and beveled glass.
Roy's Gallery and Framing
842-1554. 15th Street and Kasold. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays. Featuring glassworks, ceramics and original artwork by artists inc