Most likely, the committee will be composed of a broad section of faculty, staff, alumni and students, although it will not make the final choice.
"In reality, it becomes a chancellor's decision," Hemenway said. "We will get it done by July 1."
Frederick's tenure will officially end on June 30.
No candidates have been contacted, Hemenway said, but a list of potential Frederick successors might include:
- Bill Hancock, director of the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship.
- Mike Bohn, a former Kansas University quarterback who is now AD at Idaho.
- Jim Schaus, athletics director at Wichita State.
- John Hadl, former KU football great and associate AD/development at Kansas.
- Richard Konzem, associate AD/sport operation at Kansas.
- Gary Hunter, former commissioner of the CBA, who also has served as executive vice president of the Denver Nuggets of the NBA and Colorado Avalanche of the NHL; athletics director at the University of Idaho and most recently CEO of Diamond Sports, a company in Boise, Idaho involved in the ownership, management, promotion and marketing of sports teams and events in Idaho. He also was a KU assistant athletics director.