TULSA, OKLA. In one of Kansas University's most critical matches of the season, the men's tennis team delivered a convincing 5-2 victory over Tulsa on Sunday.
The two Region V teams were in direct competition for one of the remaining spots in the NCAA Championships, and No. 54 Kansas (15-10) improved its chances of reaching the postseason by defeating the No. 47 Golden Hurricane. The victory moves Kansas ahead of Tulsa (12-13) in the region.
"This was a match we couldn't lose, and I made the guys aware of that before we played," KU head coach Ross Nwachukwu said.
The top of the KU lineup led the way, with the Jayhawks soundly defeating Tulsa's top three players. Eleazar Magallan defeated Pawel Sebastyanski, 6-2, 6-3 in No. 1 singles. In No. 2 singles, Quentin Blakeney (32-6) posted his ninth-straight win in a 6-1, 6-0, whitewash of Dane McGregor. Rodrigo Echagaray extended his winning streak to eight matches with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Shriranga Sudhakar.
Alex Barragan, earned KU's final singles win at the No. 5 slot, beating Sean Monk, 6-4, 7-5.
Kansas also won the doubles point with a pair of 8-6 victories.
1. Eleazar Magallan def. Pawel Sebastyanski, Tulsa, 6-2, 6-3
2. Quentin Blakeney def. Dane McGregor, Tulsa, 6-1, 6-2
3. Rodrigo Echagaray def. Shriranga Sudhakar, Tulsa, 6-1, 6-2
4. Alejandro Tejerina, Tulsa, def. Pete Stroer 7-5, 3-6, 4-2 ret.
5. Alex Barragan def. Sean Monk, Tulsa, 6-4, 7-5
6. Micah Zomer, Tulsa, def. Andrew Metzler 6-2, 7-5
1. Blakeney-Stroer def. McGregor-Sudhakar, Tulsa, 8-6
2. Tejerina-Sebastyanski, Tulsa, def. Barragan-Echagaray 8-6
3. Metzler-Magallan def. Zomer-Steve Timperly, Tulsa 8-6