Topeka Lawrence High junior Chris Williams, the defending Class 6A state 3,200-meter champion, won the 3,200 on Thursday at the Lions' season-opening track meet at Topeka Seaman.
Williams finished in 9 minutes, 54.96 seconds.
Lawrence's other winner was Charles Brown in the 200. Brown, a junior, finished in 23.19.
LHS placed fifth with 79 points at the six-team meet.
In the girls' meet, the Lions' lone victory came in the 4x800 relay.
for tennis, golf set
Regionals for boys golf and boys tennis are set.
Lawrence High and Free State High are assigned to the Class 6A golf regional at Lake Shawnee on May 17.
In boys tennis on May 17, LHS and Free State will play at the 6A regional in Leavenworth.
Here are regional assignments for area schools:
- Class 5A boys golf -- DeSoto at Topeka Public.
- Class 4A boys golf -- Ottawa, Baldwin at Osawatomie; Santa Fe Trail at Chapman.
- Class 3A boys golf -- Oskaloosa at Horton.
- Class 5A boys tennis -- DeSoto at DeSoto.
- Class 4A boys tennis -- Baldwin, Ottawa at Topeka Hayden.
A reference in Chuck Woodling's Friday column to Kansas men's basketball coach Roy Williams' plans to study "Texas' offense" was incorrect. Williams was actually talking about "Tex's offense," referring to Tex Winter, an assistant coach with the Chicago Bulls.