Repaving projects start next month on 18 Lawrence streets.
Look for a handful of streets in town to get facelifts beginning next month.
Tuesday night, Lawrence city commissioners agreed to hire LRM Industries Inc., of Lawrence, to handle the first phase of the city's annual overlay and curb repair program.
The company will earn $584,554 to tear up 88,642 square yards of pavement from 18 Lawrence streets, which will get 12,841 tons of fresh asphaltic pavement. Several areas also will get new curbs and pavement markings.
Steve Glass, president of LRM Industries, said his company -- the lone bidder for the job, which city officials had estimated to cost $647,913 -- expected to start work in April and have it all wrapped up sometime in May.
"Usually, in most cases, it's a couple-day inconvenience to people," Glass said. "The streets will be open at night. It's nothing where people are going to have to put up with extended delays."
The overlay program's second phase typically occurs later and involves smaller, residentially oriented streets.
Here's a rundown of the streets included in the first phase:
- Arkansas Street, from 25th to 27th streets.
- Colorado Street, from Fifth to Sixth streets.
- Connecticut Street, from Seventh to 15th streets.
- Crestline Drive, from Clinton Parkway to 24th Street.
- Crossgate Drive, from the north end of Greenbrier Drive to -- and including -- the north cul de sac in front of Alvamar Country Club.
- 15th Street, from Massachusetts to Kentucky streets.
- Four Wheel Drive, from 31st Street to an area north of 28th Terrace.
- Greenbrier Drive.
- Harvard Road, from Wellington Drive to an entrance at West Junior High School.
- Missouri Street, from Fourth to Fifth streets and 24th Street to an area 300 feet north of 27th Street.
- Pennsylvania Street, in the area of 14th Street.
- Princeton Boulevard, from McDonald Drive to Lawrence Avenue.
- Rockledge Road, from Sixth Street to McDonald Drive.
- Trail Road, from Kasold Drive to Monterey Way, including seven returns along the way.
- 28th Terrace, from Four Wheel Drive to the frontage road.
- 24th Street, from Kasold Drive to Crossgate Drive, including three returns along the way.
- 27th Street, from Iowa to Louisiana streets, including seven returns along the way.
- Vermont Street, from 15th to 16th streets.
-- Mark Fagan's phone message number is 832-7188. His e-mail address is email@example.com.