Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
- A 26-year-old Lawrence man reported his vehicle broken into between midnight and 12:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 2100 block of West 26th Street. He told police 118 compact discs and three compact disc cases, worth $1,845, were stolen.
- A 39-year-old Lawrence man reported that four fishing poles, a tackle box with gear, a trolling motor and other items were stolen from storage in the 1400 section of East 900 Road. The items, worth $1,530, were stolen between 8 p.m. June 10 and 9 a.m. Saturday.
- Lawrence police arrested Blake Aaron Davis, 27, Eudora, Saturday on charges of aggravated battery, aggravated assault, criminal threat and criminal damage to property less than $500. He was booked at 6:08 a.m. into Douglas County Jail, where he was being held Saturday night pending a court appearance.
- Lawrence police arrested Melissa Faith Paxton, 23, Lawrence, on a charge of aggravated battery Saturday. She was booked at 7:14 a.m. Saturday into Douglas County Jail, where she was being held Saturday night in lieu of $1,500 bail.
- Douglas County sheriff's officials arrested Jason Michael Hefton, 23, Tonganoxie, on charges of driving while intoxicated, first conviction, and theft greater than $500 and less than $25,000. He was booked at 3:42 a.m. Saturday into Douglas County Jail. He was released at 4:51 a.m. on $1,750 bond and is scheduled to appear in court at 3 p.m. June 30.
- Two women were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after a three-vehicle accident Saturday morning on the Kansas Turnpike. Westbound traffic in the construction zone had slowed to almost a stop around 9:45 a.m. about two miles west of the Lecompton Interchange. A 1990 Subaru station wagon driven by Jerrold Jost, 44, of Lawrence did not slow down when approaching the stalled traffic, and hit the back end of a 1997 Dodge station wagon driven by Frank Cooper, 76, Marysville, Ohio, at around 50 miles an hour. Cooper's station wagon then hit a 1991 Ford station wagon in front of it, driven by Dennis Meadows, 43, Sciotoville, Ohio. Patricia Cooper, 71, Marysville, riding in the Dodge, and Deborah Altus, 39, Lawrence, riding in the Subaru, were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical personnel. Both were treated and released. The accident slowed westbound traffic for almost an hour. The accident was still under investigation Saturday night.
- A pickup and a Ford Probe collided almost head-on around 9:45 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of Iowa Street. Police were still investigating the accident Saturday night, but said that a boy and a pregnant woman from the car were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital; their injuries were not considered life-threatening. The driver of the truck was heading south on Iowa and attempted to turn east into a parking lot, colliding with the Probe heading north on Iowa.
- David Gramly, 35, Lawrence, was in serious condition Saturday at Kansas University Medical Center. He was flown there after a motorcycle accident around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday just west of Ninth and Chalk Hill Court.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- Arcing electrical equipment, 3:45 a.m. Saturday, 3323 Iowa. Electrical heating tape on pipes on a trailer in the Easy Living mobile home park began sparking, but caused no damage to the trailer.
- Alarm system malfunction, 7:26 p.m. Friday, 727 N. Iowa.
- Natural gas leak, no ignition, 3:40 p.m. Friday, 1605 Tenn.
- Alarm system malfunction, 2:19 p.m. Friday, 810 Kasold.
- Unintentional false alarm, 7:35 a.m. Friday, 3220 Peterson.
- Medical emergency, 8:47 p.m. Friday, 600 section of Douglas County Road 1023.
- Nonemergency transfer, 7:53 p.m. Friday, from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Medical emergency, no transport, 7:13 p.m. Friday, 600 block of West 25th.
- Slip or fall, 7:07 p.m. Friday, 3000 block of West 31st.
- Medical emergency, no transport, 5:22 p.m. Friday, 1500 block of Inverness.
- Medical emergency, 4:36 p.m. Friday, 1700 block of West 26th.
- Slip or fall, no transport, 3:01 p.m. Friday, 1700 block of Massachusetts.
- Person seen, no help needed, no transport, 2:29 p.m. Friday, 100 mile of U.S. Highway 59.
- Vehicle accident, no transport, 1 p.m. Friday, 700 block of West Sixth.
- Medical emergency, 11:47 a.m. Friday, 800 block of Elm.
- Medical emergency, 11:34 a.m. Friday, 2900 block of Schwarz.
- Medical emergency, 10:18 a.m. Friday, 2300 block of Iowa.
- Medical emergency, 8:43 a.m. Friday, 2100 block of Clinton Parkway.