842-3415. 3408 W. Sixth.
- Thursdays: John Weatherwax and the Junk Yard Jazz, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
749-7699. 601 Kasold Dr. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Ten pool tables, nine-ball tournaments at 2 p.m. Sundays.
Bambino's Italian Cafe
832-8800. 1801 Mass. Music by acoustic singer-songwriters on Thursday-Sunday nights.
- June 10: Lance Fahy.
- June 12: Mike Roberts.
Boomer's Smokehouse and Saloon
832-9828. 601 Kasold Dr. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. Pool tables and dart boards. Live bands.
841-5483. 737 N.H. Club with dance floor and live music, featuring local and out-of-town bands including rock, reggae, jazz and blues. Swing Set, Sundays. Open mike, Mondays.
- June 10: Hot Sauce Johnson, Ruskabank.
- June 11: The Schwag.
- June 12: Danger Bob, Dragqueen, Lushbox.
- June 14: Open mike.
- June 15: The Genitorturers, Pitbull Daycare, Truth.
- June 16: Those Bastard Souls, The City Farmers.
- June 17: Space Pocket.
Brown Bear Brewing Co.
331-4338. 729 Mass. Bands play 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. DJ Kilby, Monday nights. Carol Dressler open mike, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. first Sunday of the month.
- Mondays: DJ Kilby.
- Tuesdays: Celia.
- Wednesdays: Mudslinger.
- Thursdays: Simon Wonderbrown.
- Saturdays: Retro night, with DJ Kilby.
842-1414. 943 Mass. Son Venezuela and Key West Jazz Quartet alternate on Sundays.
841-7286. 815 N.H.
- June 17: Mark. T. Gottschall, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
842-7030. Ramada Inn, 2222 W. Sixth. Opens 4 p.m. daily.
- Wednesdays: Karaoke.
Free State Brewing Co.
843-4555. 636 Mass. Brewery and restaurant. Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight daily.
- Fridays: The Free State Brewery Jazz Quartet, straight-ahead jazz, 8 p.m.-midnight.
842-1390. 1020 Mass. Ultra Groove-Funk, Soul & Disco Party, Saturdays. Lazer Music Show, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Sundays. Martini Project-Acid Jazz in the Lounge, Mondays. Retro dance night, Thursdays. Good Times House Party, Fridays.
- June 16: Cave-In, Isis, Wormwood, Estoteric.
841-1960. 1031 Mass. Hours: 2:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekdays and 1:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekends. Featuring live music Sundays and live jazz Wednesdays. Three pool tables.
Jack Flanigans Bar and Grill
749-4295. Just off 23rd Street behind McDonald's. Featuring restaurant and music emporium. Billiards, darts and TVs. Open for dinner Mondays-Thursdays, and lunch and dinner Fridays-Sundays. Live music or DJ on Saturdays. Dart league on Tuesdays.
- Fridays: DJ Retro Rob.
- Saturdays: Live music or swing dance, free swing lessons at 9 p.m.
749-3320. 926 1/2 Mass. Live jazz, funk, electric blues and original rock. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. daily. Concert information, 749-1387. All shows start at 10 p.m.
- June 10: Space Pocket, The Austin Music Band.
- June 11: Brody Buster and the Back Alley Blues Band.
- June 12: The BelAirs.
J.B. Stout's Grill & Bar
843-0704. 721 Wakarusa Dr., in Wakarusa Plaza. Billiards and 25 TVs.
Jet Lag Lounge
842-0083. 610 Fla. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 10 a.m.-2 a.m. Sundays. Live bands on Fridays and Saturdays. First Friday and Saturday night of each month, Billy Spears Band.
Kaspars Bar & Grill
3115 W. Sixth.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
842-8225. 2228 Iowa. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Nine billiard tables, dart league, big-screen television.
The Laughing Dog Saloon
841-1533. 1910 Haskell Ave. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Live music Saturday nights. Free biscuits and gravy at midnight Friday and Saturday nights.
- June 11: Scott Ellison.
Pat's Blue Rib'N Barbecue
1618 W. 23rd.
- June 11: Billy Ebeling and The Late for Dinner Band, 9 p.m.
The Pool Room
749-5039. Hillcrest Shopping Center, 925 Iowa. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Twenty-two billiard tables, seven TVs, videos. Weekly 8-, 9- and 3-ball tournaments.
832-8228. 944 Mass. Darts, pool table, big-screen TVs. Celtic Jam Pub Night, 7 p.m. first Wednesday of every month. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-7676. 946 Mass. Pinball, video games, beer garden and occasional live music. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-5067. 623 Vt. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Darts, pool and shuffleboard. Live music every Saturday.
Stu's Midtown Tavern
749-1666. 925 Iowa.
- June 11: Blue 88, CD release party.
(913) 631-2591. Fourth and Main. Alcohol- and smoke-free environment.
- Saturdays: Branson-style country music, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
B.B.'s Lawnside Bar B.Q.
1205 E. 85th, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sundays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 8 p.m.-11 p.m.
(816) 561-2560. 4050 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- June 13: Eve 6, Marvelous 3.
112 E. Mo., Kansas City, Mo.
- Wednesdays: Jam session, with Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.
- June 12: Billy Ebeling and The Late for Dinner Band, benefit for Pat Walleck.
(816) 561-3747. 415 Westport Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Saturdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
- June 11: Fast Johnny Ricker.
(816) 531-1504. 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- June 10: K.C.B.S. Blues Band Finals.
- June 11: The Kinsey Report.
- June 12: Sugar Blue, harp virtuoso.
(816) 753-0884. 4048 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- June 10: Frogpond.
Niener's Bar & Grill
815 N. Noland Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- June 11: Flotsam and Jetsam, 9 p.m.
Stanford and Sons
504 Westport Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Open mike night, 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Best of Kansas City, 8:30 p.m.
- June 16-20: Carlos Mencia.
47th and Pennsylvania, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thursdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
- June 10: Brown-bag concert with Lonesome Hobos, noon, Eldridge Hotel garden, 701 Mass.
- June 16: Lawrence City Band, 8 p.m., William Kelly Bandstand, South Park.
- June 17: Brown-bag concert with Key West Jazz Quartet, noon, Eldridge Hotel garden, 701 Mass.
331-3226. 700 N.H. Hours: 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays.
- June 12: "Bound by Nothing", 8 p.m.
- June 13: Ernesto Valencia, classical/flamenco guitar, 2 p.m.
Recitals at 7:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 3:30 p.m. Sundays in Swarthout Recital Hall, unless otherwise noted.
- June 10: Doug O'Neill, organ, and Matthew O'Neill, tenor, 7:30 p.m., Bales Organ Recital Hall.
- June 12: Dave Matthews Band, 8 p.m., Sandstone Amphitheatre, Bonner Springs.
- June 16: The Allman Brothers Band, 8 p.m., Sandstone Amphitheatre, Bonner Springs.
Corporate Woods Jazz Festival
Corporate Woods Park, across from Building No. 40, 9401 Indian Creek Pkwy., Overland Park.
- June 11: Ervin Brown Quartet, 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m.; Red Onion Jazz Babies, 7:30 p.m.-9 p.m.; and Boko Maru, 9:30 p.m.-11 p.m.
- June 12: Doug Talley Quartet, 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m.; Dan Doran Group, 7:30 p.m.-9 p.m.; and Vince Bilardo's Big Band Bash, with Sharon James, Lloyd Schad and Kim Park, 9:30 p.m.-11 p.m.
- June 13: Overland Park South Rotary All-Star Youth Jazz Band, 3:30 p.m.-5 p.m.; Stan Kessler and Sons of Brazil, 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m.; and Ida McBeth & Friends, 7:30 p.m.-9 p.m.
Flamingo Hilton Riverboat Casino
(816) 855-7777. 1800 E. Front St., Kansas City, Mo.
- June 12: Chuck Mangione, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Mildred's Coffee House
7921 Santa Fe, Overland Park.
- June 11: Mark T. Gottschall, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
(816) 414-7000. 8201 N.E. Birmingham Rd., North Kansas City, Mo. Sunday Swing, first Sunday of every month.
- June 11: Rick Springfield, 8 p.m.
3700 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- June 11: The Urge, 2 Skinnee J's.
- June 13: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, 8 p.m.
"A Little Night Music" concert series
Gage Park Amphitheater. Concerts at 7:30 p.m.
- June 13: Marshall's Band.
Brown Bag Concert Series
Concerts from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., south side of the State Capitol.
- June 10: Pastense.
- June 17: 40 Rider Blues.
19th and Washburn, White Concert Hall.
- Sunflower Music Festival: Blanche Bryden Institute, June 10; Chamber Music Concert, June 11; Chamber Orchestra, June 12. All concerts begin at 7:30 p.m.
ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
St. Joseph Jazz Festival
Felix Street Square, Seventh and Felix.
- June 12: Performances by River City Saints, Embius, Horace Washington, Ray Alburn Big Band, Frank Smith, Boko Maru, Everett DeVan's Quartet, Lisa Henry, noon-10:30 p.m.
Ottawa Suzuki Strings camp concerts
* June 13-23: Sound Encounter.
- June 14: Brian Lewis, violin, Laura Kennedy, pianist, 7 p.m. Carnegie Cultural Center.
- June 16: Donald McInnes, viola, Laura Kennedy, pianist, 7 p.m., Carnegie Cultural Center.
Aha Dance Theatre
- June 13: "Beyond Category," 7 p.m. St. Mary's Episcopal Church, 13th and Holmes, Kansas City, Mo.
Lawrence Community Theatre
843-7469. 1501 N.H. Performances at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, 8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
- "Sylvia," June 10-13 and 17-20.
American Heartland Theatre Co.
(816) 842-9999. Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Performance times vary. Show times: 8 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Marriage Is Murder," through June 27.
Colony Steak House and Lobster Pot
(816) 452-1144. Colony Steak House and Lobster Pot, 8821 State Line Rd., Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 7 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "Cabin Fever," through July 3.
(816) 474-6552. 2550 Grand Ave., Crown Center, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 10 a.m. and noon Wednesdays-Fridays, 7 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Seven Dwarfs," June 15-July 25.
(816) 842-4538. 18th and Vine, Kansas City, Mo.
- June 12: "18th & Vine: the Musical," 8 p.m.
Heart of America Shakespeare Festival
Southmoreland Park, 47th and Oak.
- "Macbeth" and "Much Ado About Nothing," through July 18.
The Lighten Up Playhouse
(816) 474-4386. 323 W. Eighth in Lucas Place, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Play it By Ear!" 7:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "Ultimate Yard Sale," 10 p.m. Fridays.
- "Outside the Lines," 10 p.m. Saturdays.
Missouri Repertory Theatre
(816) 235-2700. Center for the Performing Arts, 50th and Cherry, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 8 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Flying Doctor," "The Proposal" and "Plaza Suite (Visitor from Forest Hills)," June 10-13 and 17-20, Johnson County Community College, 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park.
The New Theatre Restaurant
(913) 649-SHOW. 9229 Foster, Overland Park. Meals begin at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon Sundays.
- "Teahouse of the August Moon," with Gary Sandy, through June 20.
The Quality Hill Playhouse
(816) 421-1700. 303 W. 10th, Kansas City, Mo., unless otherwise noted. Performance times vary.
- "Putting It Together," through June 13.
(816) 333-9481. 4600 Starlight Rd., Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 8:30 p.m.
- "Cirque Ingenieux," through June 14.
Theatre for Young America
(913) 831-1400. Mission Center Mall, 4881 Johnson Dr., Mission. Show times are 10 a.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 2 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood," June 12-July 9.
(816) 531-PLAY, ext. 10. 3820 Main St., Kansas City, Mo. Shows begin at 8 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays.
- The Main Street New Play Festival, featuring "Rosemarie's Baby," "Ev'ry Time I Feel the Spirit" and "Robert's Room," through June 27.
Topeka Civic Theatre
Box office, (785) 357-5211. Dinner and non-dinner seating. Box office, 534 1/2 N. Kansas. Performance times are 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays; 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays, with dinner starting at 6 p.m.; and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Unsinkable Molly Brown," through June 19.
Great Plains Theatre Festival
(785) 263-4574. Third and Mulberry. Performances at 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "The Wizard of Oz," June 11-27.
331-3226. 700 N.H. Hours: 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays. Thursday Stories, 10:30 a.m., and Saturday Stories, 11 a.m., children's amphitheater; Chess Club, 7 p.m. Mondays.
- June 11: Hablamos en Espanol, 7 p.m.
- June 13: American Girl Club, with hair clips by Josephina Brooks.
- June 16: Gay and lesbian discussion groups, 7 p.m.
- June 17: "Star Wars" party.
- June 17: Mothers of Twins meeting, 7 p.m.
842-3883. 11th and Vermont. Hours: 4 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 6:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
- Fresh seasonal produce, flowers, bedding plants and crafts, through Nov. 13.
Hastings Books Music and Video
832-0719. 1900 W. 23rd.
- June 12: Children's story time, with "Hannah and the Angels," 11 a.m.-noon.
- June 12: Bike safety awareness program by Lawrence Police Department, 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
Kaw Valley Quilters' Guild
841-3244. Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt., unless otherwise noted.
- June 14: Workshop of triptychs by Lois Sierra and lecture by Bobbi Finley, Carol Jones and Georgeann Eglinski, 4:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Lawrence Public Library
843-3833. 707 Vt. Open 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Sundays. Story times, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Tuesdays, through July 27. Adult summer reading program, through Aug. 31. Children's and young adult summer reading program, through July 31.
749-1972. 644 Mass.
- June 12: "Imagination Workshop," 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- June 16: Storyteller Bobby Norfolk, 10:30 a.m.
The Raven Bookstore
749-3300. 8 E. Seventh.
- June 15: Book singing by Wayne Johnson, author of "Don't Think Twice," 7:30 p.m.-9 p.m.
Kansas University campus.
- June 12: Fountain Walk, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
(913) 341-7373. 8100 W. 95th St., Overland Park.
- June 12-13: Ethnic food festival, 11 a.m -9 p.m. Saturday and noon-8 p.m. Sunday.
Kansas City Zoo
(816) 871-5701. Call (816) 871-IMAX for theater information. Open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- "Alaska: Spirit of the Wild," "Sharks," "Everest," "Thrill Ride: The Science of Fun" and "The Greatest Places," Sprint IMAX Theater.
- "Amazonia," through Sept. 6.
(913) 341-2272. 1800 Genessee, Kansas City, Mo.
- June 11: Kings of Comedy, 8 p.m.
La Strada dell' Arte
(816) 474-6900. Liberty Memorial, 27th and Main, Kansas City, Mo.
- June 12-13: Second Annual La Strada dell'Arte Kansas City Street Painting Festival, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. June 12 and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. June 13.
Linda Hall Library
5109 Cherry St., Kansas City, Mo.
- June 17: "Prairie Heritage Lecture Series," with insect life of prairie ecosystems by Betsy Betros and monarch butterfly migration by Stephanie Darnell, 7 p.m.
Johnson Drive and Shawnee Mission Parkway, Overland Park.
- June 10-12: Summer Book Sale, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
Rainy Day Books
(913) 384-3126. 2706 W. 53rd, Fairway.
- June 11: Book signing by Helen Fielding, author of "Girls Night Out," 7:30 p.m., Unity Temple on the Plaza, 707 W. 47th St., Kansas City, Mo.
Westport Allen Center
(816) 753-3884. 706 W. 42nd St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Lindy hop lessons, 8:30 p.m.-9:15 p.m.
(785) 262-4500. 1805 S.W. 71st.
- June 12: NCRA Modifieds-Mini Sprints, 4 p.m.
- June 17: Nascar Busch All-Stars-Dirt Classics, 4 p.m.
(785) 272-5821. 635 S.W. Gage Blvd. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
- Mini train and carousel, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
Skunk Run Days Arts and Humanities Festival
City Park, Fifth and Main.
- June 12-13: Arts and crafts festival, art exhibit by Wayne Wildcat, book sale, Great Optimist Duck Run and quilt show and sale, 9 a.m to 6 p.m. June 12 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 13.
Saint Mary College
4100 S. Fourth Street.
- June 13-20: Juneteenth Celebration.
Jackson County Tourism Council
- June 11-12: Pickin' Party, with jam sessions, stage shows at 5 p.m. and a band scramble at 1 p.m. June 12, Prairie Lake, northeast of Holton.
- June 11-13: Prairie Band Potawatomi Powwow, Prairie Peoples Park.
Prairie Dulcimer Club
- June 11-12: Prairie Dulcimer Festival, United Methodist Church, 425 Morse.
- June 10-13: Smoky Hill River Festival.
Downtown Council Grove.
- June 11-13: Wah-Shun-Gah Days.
Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center
(316) 662-2305. 1100 N. Plum.
- "Thrill Ride: The Science of Fun," "T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous," "Destiny in Space," "Cosmic Catastophe Planetarium Show," "Space Hits Laser Show," "Rich Mullins II Laser Show" and "Pink Floyd 'The Wall' Laser Show."
1229 E. 85th St. N.
- June 12-13: U.S. Weapons Gun Show, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. June 12 and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. June 13.
Lake Pomme de Terre
- June 12-13: The Pomme Arts Festival, damsite park.
Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art
864-4710. On Mississippi Street west of the Kansas Union on the Kansas University campus. Comprehensive museum with paintings, sculpture, graphics and textiles. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays; and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays.
- "Two Centuries of American Glass," through Aug. 22.
- "Quilt National '97" and "A Quilt Sampler," June 12-Aug. 7.
- "Portraits: The Artist in Print," through Aug. 7.
Programs, lectures, films and events
- June 17: "Glass Menagerie," film, 7 p.m.
Kenneth Spencer Research Library
Behind Strong Hall on Poplar Lane, KU campus. Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays (the Kansas Collection and University Archives close at 5 p.m.).
- "Finders & Keepers: the Building of a Collection," Special Collections, Main Gallery.
- "Three Decades of the Kenneth Spencer Research Library," University Archives.
- "No Dreams Deferred: African-American Leadership in the Kansas Region," Kansas Collection.
Kansas University Natural History Museum
864-4540 or 864-4450. On Jayhawk Boulevard on KU campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Lush Vegetation of Antarctica."
Programs for children; to register, call 864-4173.
- June 14-18: "Exploring Nature," ages 4-5, 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
- June 14-18: "Mysteries of the Deep," ages 6-7, 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. or 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
- June 14-18: "Reptiles and Amphibians," ages 8-9, 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. or 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
- June 14-18: "Drawing from Nature," ages 10-12, 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. or 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
Museum of Anthropology
864-4245. Spooner Hall on KU campus. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Permanent exhibits: "Costa Rica and Her Neighbors" "The Human Life Cycle," "Peoples in Africa" and "People in Places."
- "The Talking Pot: Interpreting Ancient Pottery from Costa Rica," through Aug. 16.
- "Archaeology in Kansas," through Aug. 1.
Clyde W. Tombaugh Observatory
864-3166. 500 Lindley Hall. Open to the public for observations on the first and third Sunday nights and the second, fourth and fifth Fridays of each month, if skies are clear, 8 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Watkins Community Museum of History
841-4109. 1047 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "The Basketball Man: Dr. James Naismith."
- June 16: "Know Your Antiques" session: "Buttons Through the Ages," with Bonnie Morris, 2 p.m.
Clinton Lake Museum
Route 5. Hours: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays and by appointment. Includes the exhibit "Clinton Lake Communities: The First 20 Years, 1854-1874."
- "Transportation: Rails to Conrails."
Kansas Museum of History
(785) 272-8681. 6425 S.W. Sixth. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Kansas History Center Nature Trail, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- "Midlin, Kansas Chronicles: A Postcard Story," featuring the work of artist Clark Britton and writer Tom Averill.
- "Leading the Way: Famous Kansans," through November.
- "From Gems to Gimcracks, The Discovery Place," hands-on gallery for children, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. daily.
- June 10: Topeka Jazz Workshop.
- June 17: Santa Fe Band.
Mulvane Art Museum
(785) 231-1124. 17th and Jewell on the Washburn University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Outdoor Art Exhibition.
- "Two Views: Photography of Rick Dingus and Paula Chamlee," June 12-Aug. 1.
Combat Air Museum
(913) 862-3303. Public aviation museum at Forbes Field. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
Ward Meade House
(913) 235-0806. 124 N. Fillmore. Victorian house, log cabin, old school and botanical gardens, with tours and crafts shop. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
Territorial Capitol -- Lane Museum
(913) 887-6148. Near downtown Lecompton. Hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
Constitution Hall State Historic Site
(913) 887-6520. 319 Elmore. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Displays on territorial Kansas. Free.
Coal Creek Library
Eight miles south of Lawrence on Douglas County Road 1055, east on Douglas County Road 460. Established Nov. 22, 1859. Hours: noon-4 p.m. Sundays, April through October. Area historical information. For appointment, call (913) 594-3960.
Old Jefferson Town
(785) 863-2070. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays, April through mid-December. Collection of vintage buildings, including John Steuart Curry boyhood home, a bow string bridge, wind wagon sculpture, windmill, bell tower and five acres of native grass and wildflowers. Farmer's market from 8 a.m. to nonn Saturday.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
(816) 561-4000. 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Comprehensive art museum. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Sculpture: Abstractions and Transformations," through Aug. 15.
- "Isamu Noguchi: New Acquisitions from the Hall Family Foundation Collection," through June 13.
- "Echoes of Eternity: The Egyptian Mummy and the Afterlife," through May 7.
- June 13: "European Painting," 2 p.m.
- June 12: "The Curator Is In," 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- June 13: 10th anniversary celebration for the Kansas City Sculpture Park, 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
- June 11: Milt Abel Trio, 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
The Kemper Museum
of Contemporary Art
4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Abstract Painting, Once Removed," through July 18.
- "Permanent Collection and New Acquisitions," through Aug. 22.
Kansas City Museum
(816) 483-8300. 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Exhibits also at Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St.
- "Dear Mr. Ripley: Treasures from the Believe It or Not! Archives," through Sept. 5.
- "Rendezvous with a Comet: Challenger Mission," 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays, June 15-July 31.
- June 17-20: "Millennium Tour," 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- "Spring Skies," through June 13.
- "Summer Skies," June 15-Sept. 12.
- Fridays-Sundays: "The Truth Is Out There," ongoing.
Johnson County Museum
(913) 631-6709. 6305 Lackman, Shawnee. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Free admission.
- "With Grace and Wit: The Paintings of Margot Peet, 1903-1995," through Aug. 22.
- June 16: "Meet Samantha," 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Toy and Miniature Museum
(816) 333-9328. 5235 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Saturdays: "The Great Mystery" puppet shows, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- "Miniature Book Society's Traveling Exhibit," through June.
ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
2818 Frederick Blvd. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "William T. Keller: Early Illustrations from St. Joseph," June 13-Sept. 5. Opening reception, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. June 13.
Wichita Art Museum
(316) 268-4921. 619 Stackman Dr. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Pop Culture Hot and Cool I," through July 11.
- "Edmund Davison and His Circle," through Nov. 7.
- "Birger Sandzen: Patriarch of Kansas Printmaking," through Aug. 29.
Wichita State University Edwin A. Ulrich Museum
(316) 978-3664. WSU campus. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Half-Past Autumn: The Art of Gordon Parks," through Aug. 8.
Harry S. Truman Library
(816) 833-1400. U.S. Highway 24 and Delaware Street.
- "The Truman Chryslers," through Sept. 30.
- "Dear Bess: Love Letters from the President," through Sept. 1.
- "Treasures of the Truman Library," through Dec. 31.
The Denver Art Museum
100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy.
- "Classical Chinese Furniture from the Dr. S.Y. Yip Collection," through January 2000.
- "Ancient Chinese Bronzes from the Sze Hong Collection," through Feb. 6.
- "White on White: Chinese Jades and Ceramics," through Oct. 3.
- "The Royal Academy in the Age of Queen Victoria: 19th-century Paintings from the Permanent Collection," through May 30.
- "Toulouse-Lautrec from the Metropolitan Museum of Art," through July 4.
Beach Museum of Art
(785) 532-7718. On the Kansas State University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays, with extended hours to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays. Holiday shows: Closed Dec. 24-27 and Jan. 1.
- "Alan Shields: A Survey," through June 20.
Dane G. Hansen Memorial Museum
(785) 689-4846. 110 W. Main. Hours: 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Thanksgiving and New Year's.
- "Crossing Boundaries: Contemporary Art Quilts," through June 27.
Joslyn Art Museum
(402) 342-3300. 2200 Dodge St.
- "Searching for Ancient Egypt: Art, Architecture and Artifacts From the University of Pennsylvania Museum," through July 25.
- "Modotti and Weston: Mexicanidad," through June 27.
(918) 596-2700. 1400 Gilcrease Museum Rd.
- "Taos Artists and Their Patrons: 1898-1950," through July 18.
Artframes Gallery and Artforms Sculpture Garden
842-1991. 912 Ill. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays or by appointment.
1017 1/2 Mass. 865-4181.
- Beadwork by Melba Whatley and split-loomed necklace and bear fetish collection of Brenda Eubanks.
749-0200. 820 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, with extended hours to 8 p.m. on Thursdays; 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Contemporary fine crafts by national and local artists, including ceramics, metal, wood, jewelry and furniture.
749-0430. 625 Walnut. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Imported African and Asian art. Call before visiting.
500 Locust Gallery
832-9867. 500 Locust. Gallery open by appointment or by calling 841-6138 or 842-5328.
- Recent figurative works by Askew, Doner-Hedrick, Dunkley, Graham, Haller, Jackson, Johnson, Murphy, Piller, Sudlow, Underwood and Whitenight.
Free State Glass Gallery
840-0900. 1021 Mass. Hand-blown glass and sculpture. Hours: noon-5 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
842-2770. 723 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Works by national and international artists, including jewelry designs by Peter Zacharias and enamels by Faulker Fusaiy.
Haskell Indian Nations University
749-8417. 155 Indian Ave.
- Exhibit of photos from the Rinehart Collection, library.
Julie Hammer Home Studio
841-1191 or 841-1800, by appointment only.
- Watercolor paintings, prints and notecards.
843-7749. 18711 Jefferson Hills Dr. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays. Call for an appointment.
- Paintings and original prints.
Lawrence Arts Center
843-ARTS. 200 W. Ninth.
- Pastel drawings by Mark L. Moseman, through June 26.
Lawrence Community Theatre
- Works by Laurie Culling, through June 20.
Lawrence Public Library
Seventh and Vermont.
- "Kansas Tornadoes," a traveling exhibit from the Kansas Humanities Council, south entrance, through June 18.
- Paintings and assemblages by Margaret Rose, through June.
- Calligraphics by Jude Ann, through June.
- Watercolors by May Bernofsky, through June.
- "Treasure Quest," through June.
Lawrence Riverfront Plaza Factory Outlets
Suite 110, Riverfront Plaza.
- Portrait exhibit by Wayne Wildcat.
Paul Penny Home Studio
843-6700. 638 Ohio. Oil paintings of local scenes and the Midwest. By appointment only.
843-0080. 919 Mass. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Works by regional artisans in clay, fiber, glass, wood and more.