Archive for Wednesday, January 20, 1999


January 20, 1999


A hazardous materials team with the Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical were called to a doctor's office Tuesday morning after a nurse dropped a thermometer.

The minor mercury spill at Robert Carnahan's office at 10:47 a.m. at the Lawrence Medical Plaza, 1112 W. Sixth, happened when a nurse was shaking a thermometer for a patient, said office manager Jo Dena Burgen. Although the spill was minor, Burgen said, regulations call for the mercury to be disposed of properly.

Burgen said a few members of the hazardous materials team responded to the call, scooped the mercury into a container, placed it into a bag and threw it away.

The spill didn't disrupt business at the doctor's office.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.