Burglaries and thefts reported
- A four-cylinder engine, worth $1,000, was reported stolen between Tuesday and 2 p.m. Thursday from a home in the 1300 block of West 19th Terrace.
- A black and white Melrose Bobcat C773, a yellow Eagle flatbed trailer and a Capitol City Oil industry card were reported stolen between 3 p.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m. Thursday from Penny Construction, 952 N. Third. The loss was $19,600.
- A home in the 2200 section of North 1100 Road was reported burglarized between 1:30 p.m. and 3:24 p.m. Jan. 7. A wooden door and a wooden gun cabinet were damaged for a loss of $1,450. Several items, worth $1,940, were reported taken including a 27-inch color television, a 12-gauge Winchester shotgun, a 20-gauge Winchester shotgun, a Marlin 30/30 rifle with a Bushnell scope, a New England single-shot shotgun, a Tritronic shock collar and a Tritronic beeper collar, a Sharp microwave and a Daisy BB gun.
- An employee of Fatso's, 1016 Mass., reported someone caused $1,900 in damage to his car between 11 p.m. Jan. 8 and 2:20 a.m. Jan. 9. According to a police report, someone broke into a patio area behind the bar, took a bar stool and repeatedly hit the 1993 Mazda. Sgt. George Wheeler said police talked with a suspect, a transient who was seen by police in the area earlier that night, but no one has been arrested in the incident.
- Lawrence police arrested Tania Yvonne Atkins, 22, Lawrence, on a charge of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer Friday. The arrest came after a man requested an officer to stand by in the 1300 block of Pennsylvania when the man went to take possession of a car he held the title to, but Atkins had in her possession. Police said that she insulted the officer and man and then went into her home in the 1300 block of Pennsylvania. When she came out, police said she had a large kitchen knife. The officer told her to drop the knife and then disarmed her, police said. Atkins was booked at 3:37 p.m. into Douglas County Jail, where she was being held Friday night. Bail had not been set.
- A 45-year-old Lawrence woman reported that she was raped by her boyfriend after an argument between 11 p.m. Jan. 6 and 6:15 a.m. Jan. 7 in the 1900 block of West 31st. She was not injured; the use of drugs is suspected. She reported the incident Jan. 7; police released the report Friday.
- Markham B. Austin, 39, Lawrence, was in fair condition Friday night at Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka. He was shot in the chest Wednesday during a struggle with a Topeka police officer.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- Hazardous conditions standby, 9:30 p.m. Thursday, 1000 block of West 29th.
- Arching or shorted electric wires, 5:57 p.m. Thursday, 300 block of Parkhill Terrace.
- Smoke scare, 11:54 a.m. Thursday, 500 block of Massachusetts.
- Controlled burning, 9:51 a.m. Thursday, 900 block of Ward.
- Good intent call, 9:35 a.m. Thursday, 2400 block of Melrose.
- Unintentional alarm, 7:36 a.m. Thursday, 2800 block of Lakeview.
- Assault, 12:32 a.m. Friday, 400 block of East Seventh; Donald Shoup, Lawrence, transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released.
- Medical emergency, 10:53 p.m. Thursday, 1300 block of New York.
- Assault, 10:26 p.m. Thursday, 2400 block of Melrose; two patients looked at, no transport.
- Vehicle accident, 7:02 p.m. Thursday, 500 block of McDonald; three patients transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Medical emergency, 3:16 p.m. Thursday, 900 block of Massachusetts.
- Medical emergency, 1:56 p.m. Thursday, Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Slip or fall, 12:40 p.m. Thursday, 100 block of East Woodson in Lecompton.
Criminal case proceedings
- Joseph Gullikson, 35, Lawrence, pleaded guilty Thursday to aggravated battery, driving under the influence, leaving the scene of an injury accident, no insurance and failure to stop at a stop light. Gullikson was charged following a Nov. 1 accident at 15th and Iowa streets. According to police reports, Gullikson ran a red light and hit a truck driven by Michael Holladay, 18, a Lawrence High School student. Gullikson will be sentenced at 4 p.m. Feb. 25.