Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, January 6, 1999

CANDLE ON PLASTIC TABLE BLAMED FOR FIRE

January 6, 1999

Advertisement

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical extinguished a Tuesday night fire that caused an estimated $500 damage at 529 Maple St.

The fire started in a bedroom of the one-story house, Fire Battalion Chief Jerry Karr said. A candle on top of a plastic table started the fire; most of the damage was to the carpet.

Two children, Aquarius and Sabastion Simmons, were sleeping in the room. Two adults in the house, Erin Sanner-Stiehr and Cypres Simmons, saw the smoke and called the firefighters.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 7:58 p.m. When they arrived, the family was outside and the fire was quickly extinguished, Karr said.

Firefighters ventilated the house and hung a carbon monoxide detector. The family was allowed back into the house.

Simmons and the two children were transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation, Karr said. Sanner-Stiehr and a baby were all right.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.