Archive for Monday, February 22, 1999


February 22, 1999


How do I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity?

Call the Lawrence Habitat office at 832-0777 or drop by at 412 E. Ninth St. There are several different ways to volunteer and different levels of time commitment.

"It's wide open," said Linda Klinker, program coordinator. "It just depends on what they sign up for."

Some people go out and work one day, while others work every weekend. Construction is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays but there are other ways to volunteer, like working with families, fund raising and office work.

"Just come on down," she said.

What are the laws regarding target practice with firearms on your own property outside city limits?

While firing a gun inside the city limits is prohibited, there aren't any laws prohibiting the shooting of firearms in the county, said Douglas County sheriff's and district attorney's office representatives.

According to Kansas Statute 21-4217, criminal discharge of a firearm includes shooting a weapon "upon any land or non-navigable body of water of another, without having obtained permission of the owner or person in possession of such land, or upon or from any public road, public road right of way or railroad right of way that adjoins land of another without having first obtained permission of the owner or person in possession of such land."

Douglas County Dist. Atty. Christine Kenney Tonkovich said safety precautions must be followed, and that criminal prosecution could result from injuries or deaths.

Can I still donate to the United Way, even though the campaign is over?

"Absolutely," said Jane Belford, finance manager at the United Way of Douglas County. Call the office at 843-6626 or stop by 2518 Ridge Ct., Suite 101, for a pledge card.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.