Archive for Friday, December 31, 1999


December 31, 1999


Michael Lee Miller didn't resist arrest Thursday afternoon when his fugitive status came to an end.

A U.S. Marshal's Service task force on Thursday captured a federal prisoner who was mistakenly released two weeks ago from the Douglas County Jail, but he probably won't return to Lawrence anytime soon.

Michael Lee Miller, 24, didn't resist arrest when four law enforcement officers found him at 2:15 p.m. Thursday at a Topeka residence.

"No problems," said U.S. Marshal Rand Rock, Topeka. "He came out of his room with his hands up. It was kind of uneventful."

Thursday night Miller remained in the Shawnee County Jail. He came to Lawrence on Dec. 14 to face a 1993 auto theft charge, but he'll probably return to a federal prison in Texarkana, Tex., to serve the remaining 47 months in a narcotics case.

"I think the Federal Bureau of Prisons is going to hang onto him until he finishes his sentence," Rock said. "Then he'll come back to Douglas County to take care of unfinished business there."

Douglas County Sheriff Loren Anderson said he's still looking into why jail employees weren't notified about Miller's status as a federal prisoner. He requested to be transferred to Douglas County to face the charge, but Anderson said an error occurred, allowing Miller to post a $2,000 bond on the same day he arrived at the jail. He failed to attend his court appearance Dec. 15, and Douglas County District Judge Michael Malone issued a warrant for his arrest.

"We've taken measures to make sure it doesn't happen again," Anderson said. "I don't know why we weren't notified of his detainer from the federal prison when he was delivered."

No Douglas County jailers have been disciplined in the matter, Anderson said.

"Not until we find out what went wrong," the sheriff said. "We haven't found anything yet that gave us the information he had a detainer."

Rock wouldn't say how the marshal's office tracked down Miller; although he lists a Topeka address in court documents, the arrest was at another location.

"We've been looking at a lot of places around northeast Kansas, and spent some time in Lawrence," Rock said. "This one just happened to pan out."

The fugitive task force that handled the case consists of representatives from the Kansas Department of Corrections, Topeka Police Department, Shawnee County Sheriff's Department and U.S. Marshal's Service.

Authorities arrested another man at the house who had several outstanding Topeka municipal warrants, but Rock said that man posted bond Thursday afternoon.

-- Chris Koger's phone message number is 832-7126. His e-mail address is

Commenting has been disabled for this item.