- Roy Williams is 314-74 (.809) in his 12th season at KU. Williams has the highest winning percentage among all active Division I coaches with at least five years experience. Saint Louis' Lorenzo Romar is 7-3 in his first season at SLU, 49-47 in four years overall.
- Kansas leads the all-time series, 11-3, although Saint Louis won the last meeting, 78-64 last season (Dec. 23, 1998) at Kiel Center in St. Louis.
- The two teams have met at least twice each decade since the 1940s. Kansas won the first meeting, 60-25, in St. Louis on Jan. 1, 1943. On March 22, 1952, Kansas beat the Billikens in Kansas City in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The win sent KU to the Final Four in Seattle, where it captured its first NCAA championship. That game is the only previous meeting between the two teams in Kansas City.
- KU's past five head coaches -- Phog Allen, Dick Harp, Ted Owens, Larry Brown and Williams -- all coached against Saint Louis during their tenures at Kansas.
- Kansas is 42-19 all time against Conference USA opponents. KU's last game against a C-USA team was last season's loss to Saint Louis.
- The Billikens, 7-3, have won home games against Alabama and Missouri and last Thursday the Billikens won a key road game at Dayton, 83-74.
- Guard Justin Love, who burned Kansas for 24 points last season, leads Saint Louis in scoring (18.4 points per game) and has emerged as one of the top players in Conference USA. Love, who also leads the Billikens in assists (3.5 apg.) scored 27 points in the win over Dayton last Thursday. Junior forward Justin Tatum (11.4 points and 8.0 rebounds per game) has been solid and freshman guard Marque Perry (8.4 ppg.) is one of C-USA's top newcomers.
- Saint Louis senior Troy Robertson is the younger brother of former Jayhawk Ryan Robertson.
- Kansas' Ashante Johnson and Saint Louis' Love were teammates during the 1997-98 season at CaÃ±ada (Calif.) College.
- Billiken coach Romar will direct a team against Kansas
for the third straight season. Romar coached Pepperdine against Kansas in each of the two previous seasons. Romar was an assistant coach at UCLA when Kansas beat the Bruins, 85-70 in Allen Fieldhouse on Dec. 2, 1995.
- Saint Louis assistant coach Cameron Dollar played point guard for UCLA in two meetings against Kansas. Dollar scored eight points and dished out five assists in a 96-83 loss to the Jayhawks on Dec. 7, 1996 in Pauley Pavilion. The previous season, Dollar scored three points and had two assists in an 85-70 loss to Kansas in Allen Fieldhouse.
- The Jayhawks have yet to play in a game this season decided by less than 10 points. Saint Louis, however, has played in seven games decided by single-digit margins.
- The Jayhawks are 170-70 all time in Kansas City, 65-20 all time in Kemper Arena.
- The Jayhawks have won 11 straight games in Kemper Arena including three consecutive Big 12 Conference Tournament titles.
- Kansas generally plays one or two regular season games in Kansas City each season. The Jayhawks haven't lost a regular season game in Kansas City since Jan. 2, 1983 when Ohio State beat KU, 64-61.
- The Sprint Shootout enters its fifth season as a regular stop on the Kansas basketball schedule. The Jayhawks are 4-0 in four previous appearances. Kansas won the first Sprint Shootout, 91-83 over Indiana on Dec. 16, 1995. Last season the Jayhawks beat Illinois, 65-55. The 1996 Sprint Shootout was played in Allen Fieldhouse (KU vs. N.C. State).