On Dec. 29, 1899, a comment in the Topeka Capital was noted in the Lawrence Journal. The Capital observed, "The owner of the old Lawrence windmill, that well known relic of pioneer days in Kansas, announces that it is to be boarded up and locked, and that any persons found trespassing or destroying property will be prosecuted, but that those who really desire to visit the historical old land mark can get permission and the key at his house. It is also announced that the old mill will be torn down this winter, unless some move is made by the citizens to purchase it and fix it up. Somehow it doesn't seem right to allow the old mill to go to the rack and be destroyed. It is closely associated with the early history of the state. As Kansas is old enough to have relics, she ought to take care of them." The windmill was built in 1864 south and west of Ninth and Emery Road and burned down in 1905.
-- Courtesy Watkins Community Museum