842-3415. 3408 W. Sixth.
- Thursdays: John Weatherwax and the Junk Yard Jazz, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
749-7699. 601 Kasold Dr. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Ten pool tables, nine-ball tournaments at 2 p.m. Sundays.
841-5483. 737 N.H. Club with dance floor and live music, featuring Lawrence and out-of-town bands including rock, reggae, jazz and blues. Swing Set, Sundays. Open mike, Mondays.
- Dec. 23: Blackwater, Wormwood.
- Dec. 28-30: All Together, Fashion Statements, Rayguns, Six-Percent, Origin, Elements, Truth, Mi-6, Soteric, Sunshine Vandals, Donkey Show, Thulium, Effigy Slurry, 2 Player Option, Strictly for Rent, Punchline, Planet Arsenal.
Brown Bear Brewing Co.
331-4338. 729 Mass. Bands play 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. DJ Kilby, Monday nights. Carol Dressler's Acoustic Showcase, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. first Sunday of the month.
- Dec. 27: DJ Kilby.
- Dec. 28: Celia.
- Dec. 29: Karaoke.
842-7030. Ramada Inn, 2222 W. Sixth. Opens 4 p.m. daily.
- Tuesdays-Saturdays: Karaoke.
842-1390. 1020 Mass. Ultra Groove-Funk, Soul & Disco Party, Saturdays. Lazer Music Show, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Sundays. Martini Project-Acid Jazz in the Lounge, Mondays. Viva Ritmo-Latin Dance Night, Wednesdays. Retro dance night, Thursdays. Spin, Fridays.
841-1960. 1031 Mass. Hours: 2:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekdays and 1:30 p.m.-2 a.m. weekends. Featuring live music Sundays and live jazz Wednesdays. Three pool tables.
Jack Flanigans Bar and Grill
749-4295. Just off 23rd Street behind McDonald's. Featuring restaurant and music emporium. Billiards, darts and TVs. Open for dinner Mondays-Thursdays, and lunch and dinner Fridays-Sundays. Live music or DJ on Saturdays. Dart league on Tuesdays.
- Fridays: DJ Retro Rob.
- Saturdays: Swingbug DJ, with swing lessons at 9 p.m.
- Sundays: Lawrence Soft-tip Dart Assn. Tournament, 1 p.m., registration, 2 p.m. tournament.
843-3007. 10 E. Ninth.
- Wednesdays: Ben Singer, jazz piano, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Sundays: Ben Singer, jazz piano, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
749-3320. 926 1/2 Mass. Live jazz, funk, electric blues and original rock. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. daily. Concert information, 749-1387. All shows start at 10 p.m.
- Dec. 27: Mudslinger Jam, blues and rock jam.
J.B. Stout's Grill & Bar
843-0704. 721 Wakarusa Dr., in Wakarusa Plaza. Billiards and 27 TVs. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily.
Jet Lag Lounge
842-0083. 610 Fla. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 10 a.m.-2 a.m. Sundays. Live bands on Fridays and Saturdays. First Friday and Saturday night of each month, Billy Spears Band.
842-0377. 401 N. Second. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sundays. Cajun night every first and third Wednesday of the month.
Kaspars Bar & Grill
3115 W. Sixth.
- Saturdays: Karaoke.
842-8225. 2228 Iowa. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Nine billiard tables, dart league, big-screen television.
The Laughing Dog Saloon
841-1533. 1910 Haskell Ave. Hours: 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Live music Saturday nights. Free biscuits and gravy at midnight Friday and Saturday nights.
- Thursdays: Uncle Andy's Improv Dog Jam, 8 p.m.
Pat's Blue Rib'N Barbecue
1618 W. 23rd. Live music every Friday night. Hours: 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. every day. NTN trivia.
The Pool Room
749-5039. Hillcrest Shopping Center, 925 Iowa. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Twenty-two billiard tables, seven TVs, videos. Weekly 8-, 9- and 3-ball tournaments.
832-8228. 944 Mass. Darts, pool table, big-screen TVs. Celtic Jam Pub Night, 7 p.m. first Wednesday of every month. Hours: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-7676. 946 Mass. Pinball, video games, beer garden and occasional live music. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-2 a.m. Sundays.
749-5067. 623 Vt. Hours: 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Darts, pool and shuffleboard. Live music every Saturday.
Stu's Midtown Tavern
749-1666. 925 Iowa. Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. Two pool tables, four dart boards. Live music Friday and Saturday nights.
(913) 631-2591. Fourth and Main. Alcohol- and smoke-free environment.
- Saturdays: Branson-style country music, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
B.B.'s Lawnside Bar B.Q.
1205 E. 85th, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sundays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 8 p.m.-11 p.m.
112 E. Mo., Kansas City, Mo.
- Wednesdays: Jam session, with Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.
(816) 561-3747. 415 Westport Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Saturdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
(816) 531-1504. 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Brody Buster, blues harmonica, 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 25: Schwag, 9 p.m.
- Dec. 28: Eddie Campbell, 8 p.m.
Stanford and Sons
504 Westport Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Mondays: Open mike night, 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Best of Kansas City, 8:30 p.m.
47th and Pennsylvania, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thursdays: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
- Dec. 23: Third Annual Holiday Music with The CottonWood Winds, 2 p.m.-4 p.m., Weavers, Ninth and Massachusetts.
331-3226. 700 N.H. Hours: 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays.
- Dec. 24: Craig Balden Christmas carol sing-along, 2 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Dec. 26: Maggie Pruitt, strolling violinist, 2 p.m.
- Dec. 30: Kelley Hunt, Y2Kels, Lon Price, 9 p.m.
(816) 931-3330. 600 N. Seventh, Kansas City, Kan.
- Dec. 29: Steady Mobbin', 7:30 p.m.
13th and Wyandotte, Kansas City, Mo.
- Dec. 29: Genuwine, Case, Omaj, 7 p.m.
State Ballet of Missouri
Midland Theatre, 1228 Main, Kansas City, Mo., unless otherwise noted. Ticket office, (816) 931-3330; information, (816) 931-2232.
- "The Nutcracker," through Dec. 24.
One Expocentre Dr.
- Dec. 28: Lady Knights Mini Dance Clinic, 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Dec. 28: Junior Lady Knights auditions, 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
American Heartland Theatre Co.
(816) 842-9999. Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Performance times vary. Show times: 8 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "Rockin' Christmas Party," through Jan. 9.
(816) 474-6552. 2550 Grand Ave., Crown Center, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 10 a.m. and noon Wednesdays-Fridays, 7 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays.
- "A Little House Christmas," through Dec. 31.
The Lighten Up Playhouse
(816) 474-4386. 323 W. Eighth in Lucas Place, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Play it By Ear!" 7:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
- "Ultimate Yard Sale," 10 p.m. Fridays.
- "Outside the Lines," 10 p.m. Saturdays.
Missouri Repertory Theatre
(816) 235-2700. Center for the Performing Arts, 50th and Cherry, Kansas City, Mo. Performances at 7 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 8 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sundays.
- "A Christmas Carol," through Dec. 24.
The New Theatre Restaurant
(913) 649-SHOW. 9229 Foster, Overland Park. Meals begin at 6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon Sundays.
- "Smoke on the Mountain," through Feb. 6.
Theatre for Young America
(913) 831-1400. Mission Center Mall, 4881 Johnson Dr., Mission. Show times are 10 a.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 2 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- "The Elves and the Shoemaker," through Dec. 23.
- "The Legend of John Henry," through Dec. 23.
(816) 531-PLAY, ext. 10. 3820 Main St., Kansas City, Mo. Shows begin at 8 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays.
- "Prelude to a Kiss," through Jan. 1.
331-3226. 700 N.H. Hours: 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays. Thursday Stories, 10:30 a.m., and Saturday Stories, 11 a.m., children's amphitheater; Chess Club, 7 p.m. Mondays.
Kansas University basketball
Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas University. Home games with asterisk. Dates and time central and subject to change.
- Dec. 30: St. Louis, 8:05 p.m.
2405 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Crown Center Ice Terrace, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays-Thursdays and 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays, through March 26.
- J.C. Hall Christmas tree display, through Dec. 31.
- Santa at Crayola Christmas land, through Dec. 31.
Kansas City Zoo
(816) 871-5701. Call (816) 871-IMAX for theater information. Open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- "Wolves," "Africa's Elephant Kingdom," "Everest" and "The Greatest Places."
- "Wildlights," through Jan. 2.
- "Nutcracker," through Jan. 2.
Shawnee Civic Center
13817 Johnson Dr., Shawnee.
- Sundays: World Dance KC, 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Westport Allen Center
(816) 753-3884. 706 W. 42nd St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Fridays: Lindy hop lessons, 8:30 p.m.-9:15 p.m.
The Writers Place of Kansas City
(816) 578-5504. 3607 Pa., Kansas City, Mo.
- Dec. 25: Coffeehouse and open mike, hosted by Sharon Eiker, 7 p.m.
(785) 272-5821. 635 S.W. Gage Blvd. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
- Mini train and carousel, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays.
- Dec. 23: Living Nativity, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
Z Bar/Spring Hill Ranch
(316) 273-8494. Route 1.
* Prairie Christmas house tour, through Jan. 2.
ST. LOUIS, Mo.
Missouri Botanical Garden
(314) 577-5142. 4344 Shaw Blvd.
- 2000 Calendar Display, through Dec. 31.
- Dec. 27: "Kwanza: Festival of the First Fruits," 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
St. Louis Zoo
- "Wild Lights," Dec. 23 and Dec. 26-30.
Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center
(316) 662-2305. 1100 N. Plum.
- "Rich Mullins II Laser Show," "Pink Floyd 'The Wall' Laser Show," "Living in Space" and "African Elephant Kingdom," ongoing.
- "Everest," "Holiday Wonderland" and "The Nigh Sky -- Live!" through Jan. 6.
Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art
864-4710. On Mississippi Street west of the Kansas Union on the Kansas University campus. Comprehensive museum with paintings, sculpture, graphics and textiles. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursdays; and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays.
- "Spencer Presepio," through Dec. 31.
- "Carrie Hall Quilt Blocks," through Jan. 9.
- "Photographs from the Collection," North Balcony Gallery.
Kenneth Spencer Research Library
Behind Strong Hall on Poplar Lane, KU campus. Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays (the Kansas Collection and University Archives close at 5 p.m.); 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays (University Archives closed).
- "An Alphabet of Animals: Two Hundred Years of Zoological Illustration," Special Collections, Main Gallery.
- "Carrie Watson: KU Library Pioneer," Kansas Collection.
- "Stauffer-Flint: Witness to a Century," University Archives.
Kansas University Natural History Museum
864-4540 or 864-4450. On Jayhawk Boulevard on KU campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Okavango, Africa's Last Eden," photographs by Franz Lanting, through Jan. 15.
Museum of Anthropology
864-4245. Spooner Hall on KU campus. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Permanent exhibits: "Costa Rica and Her Neighbors" "The Human Life Cycle," "Peoples in Africa" and "People in Places."
- "Neanderthals in Kansas," through Feb. 6.
Clyde W. Tombaugh Observatory
864-3166. 500 Lindley Hall. Open to the public for observations on the second and fourth Sunday nights of each month, if skies are clear, 8 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Watkins Community Museum of History
841-4109. 1047 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays. Hands-on history room for children, call for hours.
- "The Basketball Man: Dr. James Naismith."
- "Homemakers Remember 1924-1999," through Aug. 31.
Clinton Lake Museum
Route 5. Hours: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays and by appointment. Includes the exhibit "Clinton Lake Communities: The First 20 Years, 1854-1874."
- "Transportation: Rails to Conrails."
Kansas Museum of History
(785) 272-8681. 6425 S.W. Sixth. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Kansas History Center Nature Trail, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- "From Gems to Gimcracks, The Discovery Place," hands-on gallery for children, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. daily.
Mulvane Art Museum
(785) 231-1124. 17th and Jewell on the Washburn University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesdays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
- Outdoor Art Exhibition.
- "75 Years, 75 Treasures," through Dec. 24.
- Children's art exhibit, through Dec. 24.
Combat Air Museum
(913) 862-3303. Public aviation museum at Forbes Field. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
Ward Meade House
(913) 235-0806. 124 N. Fillmore. Victorian house, log cabin, old school and botanical gardens, with tours and crafts shop. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays.
Territorial Capitol -- Lane Museum
(913) 887-6148. Near downtown Lecompton. Hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
Constitution Hall State Historic Site
(913) 887-6520. 319 Elmore. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Displays on territorial Kansas. Free.
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
(816) 561-4000. 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Comprehensive art museum. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Echoes of Eternity: The Egyptian Mummy and the Afterlife," through May 7.
- "In the Absence of Color," through Feb. 27.
- "James Turrell: Cross Cut," through Jan. 16.
- "Another Africa," through Jan. 16.
- "Architects' Sketchbook Competition: Nelson-Atkins Expansion and Renovation," through Jan. 9.
- Walk-in tours for "Another Africa," 1 p.m. Wednesdays and 3 p.m. Sundays, through Jan. 16.
- Dec. 26: "Religions," 2 p.m.
- "The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art's annual Holiday Shop," through Jan. 3.
The Kemper Museum
of Contemporary Art
4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Jerome Regnier: Hand-Woven Tapestries," through Jan. 16.
- "Herb Ritts: Work," through Jan. 28.
- "Lezley Saar: Anomalies," through Feb. 13.
- "Jim Leedy: A Retrospective," through Feb. 27.
Kansas City Museum
(816) 483-8300. 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Exhibits also at Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St.
- "Inside Out: The Visible Human," through Feb. 13.
- Dec. 26 and 28-31: Kwanzaa Celebration.
- "Winter Skies," through March 5.
- Fridays-Sundays: "The Truth Is Out There," ongoing.
Johnson County Museum
(913) 631-6709. 6305 Lackman, Shawnee. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays. Free admission.
- "A Very Fifties Christmas," 1950s All-Electric House tour, every half hour from 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Sundays and every half hour from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, through Dec. 30.
Hallmark Visitors Center
(816) 274-3613. Crown Center, 25th and McGee, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays; 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays and most holidays. Free admission, wheelchair accessible. Reservations required for groups of 10 or more.
- Hallmark Art Deco Christmas cards, J.C. Hall Christmas tree collection and Hallmark Keepsake ornament collection, through Dec. 31.
Toy and Miniature Museum
(816) 333-9328. 5235 Oak, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Saturdays: "The Great Mystery" puppet shows, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
2818 Frederick Blvd. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "Jim Leedy Retrospective," through Feb. 27.
- "Handwoven Tapestries by Jerome Regnier," through Jan. 16.
Old Depot Museum
(785) 242-1250. 135 W. Tecumseh. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- "Rails, Trails and Prairie Tales," plus H-O model trains and period rooms, ongoing.
- "Ottawa Newsreels 1937-1938-1939," films.
Wichita Art Museum
(316) 268-4921. 619 Stackman Dr. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Maurice Prendergast and His Associates: American Impressionist and Early Modernist Works on Paper," through Jan. 2.
- "Americana from Hearth and Home," through Jan. 13.
Wichita State University Edwin A. Ulrich Museum
(316) 978-3664. WSU campus. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Garth Evans: The Yaddo Drawings."
Harry S. Truman Library
(816) 833-1400. U.S. Highway 24 and Delaware Street.
- "Treasures of the Truman Library," through Dec. 31.
- "Season's Greetings from the White House," through Jan. 13.
1500 N. Liberty, Independence, Mo.
- Christmas Tour, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 30.
The Denver Art Museum
100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy.
- "Optical Quilts," through April 2.
- "20th Century Design: Breaking All The Rules," through October.
- "Classical Chinese Furniture from the Dr. S.Y. Yip Collection," through January.
- "Ancient Chinese Bronzes from the Sze Hong Collection," through Feb. 6.
- "The Royal Academy in the Age of Queen Victoria: 19th-century Paintings from the Permanent Collection," through May 30.
- "John Sorbie: Graphic Designer," ongoing.
- "Charles Simonds," through March 26.
- "Takashi Nakazato: Contemporary Pottery from an Ancient Japanese Tradition," through Oct. 1.
Beach Museum of Art
(785) 532-7718. On the Kansas State University campus. Hours: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays, with extended hours to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, and 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays. Holiday shows: Closed Dec. 24-27 and Jan. 1.
- "Shirley Smith: A Retrospective," through Jan. 9.
Dane G. Hansen Memorial Museum
(785) 689-4846. 110 W. Main. Hours: 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Thanksgiving and New Year's.
- "Hopi Katsinas," through Jan. 9.
Joslyn Art Museum
(402) 342-3300. 2200 Dodge St.
- "The Great American Pop Art Store: Multiples of the Sixties," through Jan. 2.
- "Deck the Halls: Holiday Photography by Roger Mertin and Christina Patosk," through Jan. 9.
- "Soul of Africa: African Art from the Han Coray Collection," through Jan. 23.
Museum of Nebraska Art
- "from the faraway " nearby," sculpture and drawing by Jon Keith Swindell, through Dec. 31.
(918) 596-2700. 1400 Gilcrease Museum Rd.
- "Gifts of Pride and Love: Kiowa & Comanche Lattice Cradles," through Feb. 27.
Artframes Gallery and Artforms Sculpture Garden
842-1991. 912 Ill. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays or by appointment.
Back to the Garden
749-3109. 619 N. Second, one block north of Kansas River bridge. Works by Celestial Ironworks and other unique art for house and garden.
1017 1/2 Mass. 865-4181.
- Beadwork by Melba Whatley and split-loomed necklace and bear fetish collection of Brenda Eubanks.
749-0200. 820 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, with extended hours to 8 p.m. on Thursdays; 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Contemporary fine crafts by national and local artists, including ceramics, metal, wood, jewelry and furniture.
Cafe Espresso, 700 N.H. Hours: 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays.
- "Turn of the Century," an all-member show by the Lawrence Photo Alliance, through Dec. 30.
The Bourgeois Pig
843-1001. 6 E. Ninth. Hours: 7 a.m.-2 a.m. daily.
- Paintings by Sue Ashline, through December.
841-2254. 416 E. Ninth.
- Private collection of paintings and prints, through Dec. 31.
749-0430. 625 Walnut. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Imported African and Asian art. Call before visiting.
500 Locust Gallery
832-9867. 500 Locust. Gallery open by appointment or by calling 841-6138 or 842-5328.
- Recent figurative works by Askew, Doner-Hedrick, Dunkley, Graham, Haller, Jackson, Johnson, Murphy, Piller, Sudlow, Underwood and Whitenight.
Free State Glass Gallery
840-0900. 1021 Mass. Hand-blown glass and sculpture. Hours: noon-5 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays.
842-2770. 723 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Works by national and international artists, including jewelry designs by Peter Zacharias and enamels by Faulker Fusaiy.
Haskell Indian Nations University
749-8417. 155 Indian Ave.
- Exhibit of photos from the Rinehart Collection, library.
10 E. Ninth. Hours: 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays, 7 a.m.-midnight Thursdays-Saturdays and 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Sundays.
- Watercolors by Clark Fulton, through January.
926 1/2 Mass.
- Life drawings by John Haller and human form sculptures by Tanya McNeely, through Jan. 23.
Jennifer Immel Oldridge Home Studio
331-3090. 112 W. 15th. By appointment only. Web site: www.sunflower.com/~dojo.
- Pastel drawings, portraits, note cards and oil and acrylic paintings.
Julie Hammer Home Studio
841-1191 or 841-1800, by appointment only.
- Watercolor paintings, prints and notecards.
843-7749. 18711 Jefferson Hills Dr. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays. Call for an appointment.
- Paintings and original prints.
865-4411. 734 Vt.
- "The Many Moods of Pastels," works by Erika Binns.
Lawrence Arts Center
843-ARTS. 200 W. Ninth.
- "Holiday Invitational Arts and Crafts Show," through Dec. 23.
Lawrence Public Library
Seventh and Vermont.
- "The Art of the Miniature," works by Dorothy Smith Davis, through Dec. 31.
- Art by Lawrence students, through Dec. 31.
- "The Faces of Downtown Lawrence: Portrait of a Business Community, by John Gladman, south entrance.
- "And So It Is," by Annola Charity, south entrance.
- "Center Out," watercolors, pencil drawings and oil and acrylic paintings by Jean Reitz, lower level.
Lawrence Riverfront Plaza Factory Outlets
Suite 110, Riverfront Plaza.
- Portrait exhibit by Wayne Wildcat.
Paul Penny Home Studio
843-6700. 638 Ohio. Oil paintings of local scenes and the Midwest. By appointment only.
843-0080. 919 Mass. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Works by regional artisans in clay, fiber, glass, wood and more.
Redfield's Stained Glass Studio
843-4039. 2050 E. 1550 Rd. Hours: By appointment.
Custom stained and beveled glass.
Roy's Gallery and Framing
842-1554. 15th and Kasold Drive. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays. Featuring glassworks, ceramics and original artwork by artists including J. Brothers, J. Gaumnitz, L. Copt, R. Sudlow, B. Opelka, J.G. Brown, J. Orr, J. Whitenight, C. Krallman, Free State Glass, V. Brejcha and R. Zerwekh.
Silver Works and More
842-1460. 715 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays. Featuring fine jewelry and crafts by local and national artists.
Southwest and More
843-0141. 727 Mass. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, with extended hours to 8 p.m. Thursdays, and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Specializing in American Indian jewelry and fine arts, Mexican imports and western style.
Van Gogh's Ear Studio and Gallery
842-4899. 1017 Mass. Recycled art, painted furniture and murals by David Montgomery, stained glass by Sarah Teague Johnson, and various works by area artists.
Vibrations Studio and Vision's Performance Art Company
840-0450. 920 Del. Gallery, rehearsal and performance space. Available for rental.
- Tuesdays: Drum classes, 7:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., through Dec. 25.
- Thursdays: Body Caretaking II, 8 p.m.-10 p.m., through Dec. 23.
- Thursdays: "Winter Brave," movement class for performance artists, 10 p.m.-midnight, through Dec. 23.
Vormehr and Youngquist Gallery
749-0744. 914 Mass. Hours: 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays. Artwork by Gail Youngquist and Vicki Vormehr.
- Watercolor paintings, prints, Christmas cards, note cards, jewelry, metalworks, wood and leather chairs, wood and glass tables and KU and other university designs.
Wheatfield's Bakery & Cafe
841-5553. 904 Vt. Hours: 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Paintings and drawings by Lauretta Hendricks-Backus, through Feb. 6.
841-5140 or 842-3154, by appointment. Realistic, figurative murals and paintings; specializing in portraits and commissions.
American Jazz Museum
18th and Vine, Kansas City, Mo.
- "A Different Drummer," jazz-related works by Benny Andrews, through Dec. 28.
Jan Weiner Gallery
4800 Liberty St., Kansas City, Mo. Open Saturdays and by appointment.
- "Thift Store Haiku," mixed-media sculptures by Roger Shimomura and haiku responses by poets Lawson Inada, Alan Chong Lau, Russell Leong and Amy Uyematsu, through Jan. 5.
Kansas City Artists Coalition
(816) 421-5222. 201 Wyandotte, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Fridays and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays.
- "Mark Berghaus: 12 Sculptures," through Jan. 22.
Kansas City Art Institute
(816) 561-4852. 4415 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Project Wall: Vik Muniz," through August.
- "Working in Kansas City: The Charlottle Street Fund," through Jan. 21.
Kansas City, Kan., Public Library
(913) 551-3280. 625 Minn., Kansas City, Kan. Hours: 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Works by Woody Duncan, through Jan. 6.
Kansas City, Kan., Public Library, Argentine Branch
2800 Metropolitan Ave., Kansas City, Kan. Hours: 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- "Rose's Flower Garden," paintings by Rose Stambaugh, through Jan. 12.
Kansas City, Kan., Public Library, West Wyandotte Branch
(913) 596-5800. 1737 N. 82nd, Kansas City, Kan. Hours: 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Great Plains Nature Photographers Exhibition, through Dec. 29.
(816) 842-8755. 412 Del., suite A, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays. Closed Dec. 24-27 and Dec. 31-Jan. 3.
- "Renee Stout: Rantings in the Night Studio," through Dec. 23.
Society for Contemporary Photography
(816) 471-2115. 2004 Baltimore, Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and by appointment.
- "Keith Carter: Photographs 25 Years."
- "Roy Inman: Photographs in Celebration of Opening Union Station," through Jan. 8.
- "Andrew Borowiec: Industrial Landscapes," through Jan. 8.
The Source Fine Arts
(816) 931-8282. 4137 Pa., Kansas City, Mo. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays. Selected works by gallery artists.
- "The Art of Form," cast acrylics by Dean Young, and blown glass by gallery artists, through Dec. 31.
Phoenix Gallery Topeka
(785) 272-3999 or (785) 228-0999, 2900-F Oakley, Brookwood Center. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays and by appointment. Paintings, sculpture, ceramics and fine craft by more than 150 local, regional and national artists.
The Aardvark Gallery
(785) 594-3980. 719 Eighth St. Hours: 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays and by appointment. An eclectic collection by local and regional artists, including painting, sculpture, pottery, wood turnings and photographs.
(785) 594-7470. 622 High. Hours: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Wednesdays-Fridays and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Sculpture, photography, paintings and other artworks by regional artists.
Ottawa Cultural Center
515 S. Main.
- Gallery of Gifts, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, through Dec. 23.
Highland Community College
- Sculptures and paintings by Dennis McCarthy.
(785) 537-2099. 332 Poyntz Ave. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and by appointment.
- "New Works -- Old Friends," works by Louis Copt, Phil Hershberger, Ester Ikeda, Yoshi Ikeda, Dan Kirchhefer, Judy Love, Dean Mitchell, James Munce, Martha Pettigrew, Barbara Terrell Pujol, Elisa Stalker and Barbara Waterman-Peters, through Dec. 24.
Salina Art Center
(785) 827-0686. 242 S. Santa Fe. Hours: noon-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays, until 7 p.m. on Thursdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- 21st Annual Jurored Art Exhibition, through Jan. 23.
(785) 456-2029 or 1-800-899-1893. Carnegie Arts Center, 521 Lincoln. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.
- Works by Maude Mitchell and exhibit of antique toys, through Jan. 16.
Birger Sandzen Memorial Gallery
(785) 277-2220. 410 N. First. 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday. Closed July 4.
- Landscapes by Lawrence