The bottom line
Lawrence city commissioners will be asked to approve a zoning request to allow a large-scale apartment complex directly south of a neighborhood of large, single-family homes.
Swan Management L.P. has proposed building the Aberdeen South Apartments at the northeast corner of 27th and Wakarusa. They would consist of 16 two-story buildings, each with eight two-bedroom apartments.
Just north of the site is the Parkway West No. 2 subdivision, an area that consists of single-family homes on large lots.
Residents of that neighborhood have objected to the plan, saying it would increase light, traffic and noise in the area.
The Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission voted unanimously July 28 to recommend approval of the rezoning, subject to certain conditions.
The planning commission first considered the proposal at its June meeting, but the item was tabled for one month due to the large number of people who showed up to speak against the proposal.
Residents of the Parkview West No. 2 neighborhood said if the zoning is approved, they will be nearly encircled by higher-intensity development.
Since their homes were built, the Aberdeen North Apartments have already been developed on the north edge of their neighborhood. Duplexes and some commercial development lie to the west.
Developers and planning commissioners, however, say eventually there should be enough buffer between the apartments and houses. There is a steep drop-off behind the houses, so the apartments would sit at a lower elevation.
In other business, the city commission will:
- Consider awarding a bid of $10,181.17 to Duke's Sale and Service, the sole bidder, for a root control program for the Utilities Department.
- Consider a change order for $51,680 in a contract with Carrothers Construction Co. for the Four Seasons holding basin, force main and pump station project.
- Consider awarding a bid of $33,549.90 to Penny Construction Co. Inc. for add-alternatives on the Health Care Access Addition project.
- Vote on first reading of an ordinance establishing parking fees and fines for the Lawrence Riverfront Plaza parking garage.
- Consider second and final reading of an ordinance establishing no parking along the west side of Ranch Street, between Clinton Parkway and 24th Street.
- Consider second and final reading of an ordinance establishing all-way stop at Wakarusa Drive and Harvard Road.
- Consider second and final reading of the city's budget for the year 2000.
- Consider a site plan for an addition to the office at 16 E. 13th St. and improvements to the parking lot shared by the office and the Douglas County Public Works Department.
- Consider a site plan for a boarding house at 1313 Vt.
- Consider approving a use permitted upon review for a before-and-after-school child-care facility at Quail Run School, 1130 Inverness.
- Consider approving a use permitted upon review for the Lawrence school district's early childhood education program at Centennial School, 2145 La.
- Consider rezoning approximately 4.897 acres at 18th and Research Park Dr. from M-1 (Research Industrial District) to RS-2 (single-family residence district).
- Consider rezoning approximately 0.826 acres at 18th Street and Research Park Drive from RS-1 (single-family residence district) to RS-2 (single-family residence district).
- Consider rezoning approximately 0.711 acres at 18th Street and Research Park Drive from M-1 (research industrial district) to RS-1 (single-family residence district).
- Consider transportation planning documents forwarded from the planning commission related to development and implementation of a fixed-route transportation system and a functional classification map for the Lawrence urbanized area.
- Consider approving as signs of community interest "Welcome to the Oread Neighborhood" from Aug. 23 through Aug. 31.
- Consider closing Massachusetts Street from North and South Park streets from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Sunday for the Kansas State Fiddling and Picking Championships.
- Consider authorizing the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Louis Schneider, 413 Maine.
- Receive a letter from Lawrence Farmers' Market vendors regarding the 800 block of New Hampshire parking lot.
- Conduct a public hearing on a request from Martin-Logan for industrial revenue bond financing and a tax abatement.
- Consider annexation and rezoning requests for approximately 163.46 acres bounded by Clinton Parkway, Crossgate Drive, Inverness Street and W. 27th Street.
- Consider rezoning approximately 1.6 acres at 1127 Iowa from RS-2 (single-family residence district) to RO-1B (residence-office district).
- Consider text amendments to city codes regarding the ratio of residential and office uses in the POD-2 (planned office district) zoning district.