Archive for Thursday, August 5, 1999


August 5, 1999


Hairstylist and stained-glass artist Bob Brown thinks it'll be two to three weeks before he's back in business in downtown Lawrence.

A roof fire Friday at 727 Mass. caused smoke and water damage to Hair Station/Bob Brown Co., businesses that mix two of Brown's interests.

The fire claimed his shop's ceiling and carpet as well as some stained-glass panels and windows, Brown said Wednesday.

He doesn't have damage estimates yet but figures it will be a couple weeks before he can start cutting hair downtown again.

Brown's shop runs parallel to Southwest and More, which was able to reopen the day after the fire. Owner Maria Martin said only a few small items were damaged in her shop.

The fire Friday afternoon also shut down The Bay Leaf for the rest of the day but didn't cause damage at the shop.

No one was injured in the fire.

Firefighters said the blaze started when flames from a torch workers were using to heat roofing material ignited some wood under metal flashing.

Pat Talbott, manager of Jayhawk Equities LLC, the Lenexa firm that owns 727 Mass., said the part of the building's curvy stucco facade damaged in the fire will be rebuilt. The city's chief building inspector had declared it structurally unsafe.

-- Deb Gruver's phone message number is 832-7165. Her e-mail address is

Commenting has been disabled for this item.